Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you like myself, that have a URD or TRD Supercharger and are interested in better shift points, I have decided to be the guinea pig for testing the Raptor ECU re-flash for the transmission only. I have been in contact with Tim over at Raptor Superchargers in Australia and the ball is now rolling. Many of you fellow forum members have likely read about the ECU re-flash/tuning they’re doing with the stock ecu’s, that are proving to be a major performance improvement to stock FJ’s. I was intrigued by the gains people are getting, along with the much needed improvements in transmission shifting. As I already have a URD S/C, I asked about the compatibility of the tune with my URD/UCON programmer, since it’s a piggy back system. I was told that the engine part of the re-flash/tune wasn’t likely, but that a trans only tune was a possibility. After talking with Tim at Raptor and him talking with the tech personnel, they believe it can be done. What’s great about this re-flash/tune, is the ability to go back to stock tune at any time. I already have a transmission shift kit, which provides nice hard shifts in 2nd and 3rd gears. But as many know, the timing of the shifts leaves much to be desired. Therefore, I have decided to give this a go! They are shipping out the PG programmer and as soon as I receive it, I will begin testing. I will be reporting back with the results! Hopefully, I can report positive results so others will feel more confident in taking the leap as well! Wish me luck and stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: finally received the PG from Raptor Superchargers, one month to the day, after being tied up in US customs. Probably due to the China virus! Ugh! Got the ECU files loaded to the PG and then transferred to Tim at Raptor. He got right back to me with questions pertaining to the trans and my current URD supercharger setup, along with gearing, tire size and several other questions. Now awaiting the trans tune files back, but it’s the weekend. Will report back with details when I have the files installed. So looking forward to the improved shifting and the other small tweaks Tim mentioned!

·
Premium Member
10,973 Posts
G'Day Shannon,
well done mate.... this should really help your FJ ... and a world first at that ....
subscribing next...to watch your progress
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Baz! I should have the files loaded tomorrow and will be giving updates. Thanks for all your help with getting the ball rolling! Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
g'day Shannon....
any news ?
Cheers
Baz
Hi Baz! I got the tune loaded yesterday evening and did a little driving afterwards and again this evening when I got home from work. I can tell the shifts are slightly improved, but not much. But I only maybe have a total of 90 minutes of driving combined. I run my own business and drive the company van, so it’s difficult to get much seat time in the Fj. And when I get home in the evening, after supper, I have to do paperwork and prep for the next days jobs. So it may be this weekend before I can really put a few miles on it. And I know the ecu is still learning too, so I’m hopeful I’ll notice more improvements as it learns. I was hoping I’d see instant improvements, but they’re so slight that I’m a bit disappointed. However, like I said, I’m still hopeful it’ll improve after some seat time. And I know Raptor will work hard to dial things in if it doesn’t. Right now I just feel like that 10 year old kid that just unwrapped a bottle of cologne at Christmas instead of a new bicycle! Lol!

·
Premium Member
10,973 Posts
G'day Mate,
yep, I understand .... and expect Raptor will be able to do alot more .... progressively ....
they are probably being a little cautious to start with .... small incremental steps....
the key now is to maintain communication with Raptor and be willing to keep trying...and I think you have already demonstrated the willingness.
I'll keep poking them too ...
Early days ....

cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small update: Drove about an hour today (approx. 3 hours total since the flash) and still no real noticeable changes. Tim @ Raptor just emailed me as I was fixing to email him. Lol! He said the 1st tune is super mild to make sure I wouldn’t experience any ill effects and that we would slowly and cautiously advance to a final tune. I let him know the results and that I felt like it was time to advance to tune #2. Now awaiting his response and possibly the next tune.

·
Premium Member
10,973 Posts
G'Day Shannon,
Cool... progress .... I was talking to Tim earlier.... and he mentioned slowly advancing the tune... so I reckon you will have RATT2... soon....
Cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G'Day Shannon,
Have you loaded RATT2 ? ... yet
Cheers
Baz
Hey Baz! Yes, I got it loaded yesterday evening. Spent a half hour driving around afterwards and another couple hours today. It’s much more noticeable! Shifts are crisper and more responsive. It also stays in gear longer too. And when it down shifts out on the highway, it seems smoother. Before, when stock and after the first tune, it was almost like it had some sort of vibration when it down shifted. That vibration is no longer there. Even when getting on it pretty hard! I was a little concerned after not noticing much, if any improvements after the first tune, but not so much any more. I’m now excited about what version 3 will bring to the table! In the meantime, I’m gonna put some more miles on it tomorrow and see if it gets any better.
I’ll report my findings! Thanks for checking!

~ Shannon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts