Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
and if you call they will most likely tell you it's not actually in stock... I found a few sites that claimed they had the TRD supercharger, none actually had them. The Magnuson is the only way to go at this point unless you manage to find a TRD version on ebay or craigslist. I couldn't find one, so I got the magnuson version, it's identical except for the TRD logo's, comes with everything you need, in the middle of installing it now actually. Infact it is actually a more complete kit as it comes with a bullydog GT Platinum that it uses to do the ECU updates.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also, if you do take it on yourself, be real careful with the intake manifold support brackets... our babies are getting older and the rear one was rusted solid and just sheared right off, the biggest screw exactor I could get on it also snapped, even after heating it up, luckily there is another threaded hole right next to it that worked just as well with the new support.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Also, if you do take it on yourself, be real careful with the intake manifold support brackets... our babies are getting older and the rear one was rusted solid and just sheared right off, the biggest screw exactor I could get on it also snapped, even after heating it up, luckily there is another threaded hole right next to it that worked just as well with the new support.
I had the same problem. Thank goodness the other tapped hole was there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem. Thank goodness the other tapped hole was there.
Totally, I wish the instructions had mentioned you could use that other hole! Would have saved me 4 hours of screwing around trying to get the thread out... It's not in an easy place to drill into...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Vehicle info: 2007 TRDSE MT
SC: TRD
Installation Miles: 118,000 miles (July 2016)
SC Miles: 1,000 miles
Current Miles: 119,000 miles (Aug 2016)
CAI: Stock
Other options: TRD Exhaust, URD Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
Performance info: None
Issues/comments: Increased mpg as long as I stay off boost. Probably one of the last TRD S/C installed on an FJ
Pic:

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
What kind of MPG are you getting? Tires/lift? Do you get the Toyota ECU reflash?

·
Registered
828 Posts
UPDATE 9/22/2016

Vehicle Info: 2007 AT
SC: TRD
Installation Miles: 400 (# of miles on vehicle at installation)
SC Miles: 66,432 (# of miles on supercharger) UPDATE: 160,000 Miles
Current Miles: 66,832 UPDATE 160,000
CAI: Stock
Other options: Flowmaster 50 Series Update: @ 160,000 miles added a Bob's can oil separator and changed out exhaust to URD CAT back. Much quieter and deeper than the Flowmaster, also the FM had a large crack in the casing. I also added the URD 2.875" pulley, an Aeromotive fuel pump, and Innovative wide band sensor at 95,000 miles. I have 65,000 miles on those enhancements with no issues.
Performance Info: None
Issues/comments: No issues. Update: At approximately 95,000 miles I heard a noise that sounded like a box of rocks in the snout. I sent it off for a rebuild to Jon Bond Performance. He did a great job, I now have 160,000 miles with no issues.
Picture:

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
I had the passenger's side exhaust manifold off, so I drilled and welded a new bung into the manifold downstream of the 1st O2 sensor on that bank.
If you can post a picture that would be great. I still need to do this.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I updated the post with a picture. The manifold, while it looks like just a single tube, is actually the exhaust pipe covered in a head shield. So I drilled the first hole for the o2 bung, then enlarged the opening so the tig torch could get to the actual exhaust pipe. It's pretty tight fit, so it actually only looks like a single pipe with a bung welded in.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do you think I would be too late for the SC party if mine is about 153K miles? I don't think so, but asking just in case.

I live in California, so... I need to get by the CARB thingy. Do you think it will work if I go by the magnuson?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don't think that 153,000 is necessarily too late. If it was, then for the same reasoning those of us that have eclipsed that mark with the supercharger should take our off. I'm not even considering that an option.
As far as carb compliance, this is literally the same kit as the TRD. You would just need to find a carb EO placard that can go with it for smog inspections. I think that $5,000 or so is a lot of money to gamble with, so be careful how you go about this. Hopefully magnuson is working on securing an exemption for this. I'd be crazy enough to try it.
Let me see if I can find the EO placard for the TRD unit and send you a picture.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Question: does the intercooler pump run anytime the ignition is on? As far as I can tell the answer should be "yes", since the relay is triggered off the EFI fuse.

My pump does not run all the time....so I'm going to check the relay first. I tried tapping the relay and nothing happened, but then I waited a few minutes, checked the reservoir, and the pump/fluid was running. So either my pump or relay is acting up, and probably has been for a few years.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Question: does the intercooler pump run anytime the ignition is on? As far as I can tell the answer should be "yes", since the relay is triggered off the EFI fuse.

My pump does not run all the time....so I'm going to check the relay first. I tried tapping the relay and nothing happened, but then I waited a few minutes, checked the reservoir, and the pump/fluid was running. So either my pump or relay is acting up, and probably has been for a few years.
Pump should always run when the ignition is on.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Reading all 6 pages of this thread I see that people asked what mpg we are getting. Sometimes it was answered, but most of the times not so much.

My '08 TRD S/C MT, running with stock wheels/tires/height, with the Toyota roof rack and TMS running boards gets 15mpg. Around town that drops to 14, or 13 depending on how much stop and go driving. On the thruway at 80mph it stays right at 15mpg. If I go slow (60) I can get it to creep up sorta close to 16, but it isn't worth it.

I got a tank full last winter at 17 (!), that was in Jackson, WY where the roads are long and straight and the speed limit is 45 (lots of elk and moose everywhere).

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I am getting 17-19 MPG all the time, but I don't drive over 60 MPH often, mostly 50-55 MPH. 4400 lbs big caravan trailer behind 12-13 MPG.

I have 2007 6M/T, TRD SC, 315/70R17 tires, stock gears and 4"/3" lift.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pump should always run when the ignition is on.
Thanks....this is what I thought.

I pulled the battery to check the relay, and figured out the main power wire to the relay was making a poor connection. The factory crimp was almost broken. I could wiggle it off/on/off at will. I have no idea why they didn't use a standard relay harness plug, since it is a standard 12v Hella relay. Just to be safe, I put a new crimp on and soldered it, and then I swapped out the relay with a spare I had (I carry a few, since I have multiple relay-based 12v lines for my rear fridge, etc). I would have wired in a standard relay plug/harness, but I misplaced the harnesses I have. Seems to work ok now....time will tell if the pump has a problem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I get ~ 15 mpg around the city, but it used to be ~ 16 before my new KO2 E-rated tires. They are heavier and I could feel it immediately after getting them, but I love the ride. 17 mpg is about all I get on the highway, but most highways I drive in Texas are 70+ mph.

Towing my 3k lbs camper at 65-68 mph, I get 11-12 (and sometimes 10 mpg). But that's no fault of the S/C. The S/C actually makes towing nice....I can accelerate at will.

201 - 220 of 258 Posts