Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

221 - 240 of 254 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Is the reservoir and pump one-in-the-same? Or is there a separate pump? Mine is not circulating, but I don't see any electrical wires coming to or from it and was wondering how it got power to pump.

Would this be the correct pump?
https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-CM30P7-1-Centrifugal-10-24504-03/dp/B0073JNWZ6
The pump is separate from the reservoir and is located in the front of the vehicle by its radiator. The pump is connected to the reservoir by hoses.

That appears to be the correct Johnson pump for a replacement, but it may not be just plug-n-play like the Ford Racing LIGHTNING Intercooler Pump or the TRD version of it. TRD part # PTR29-35062(made by BOSCH)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Trace the electrical, there's an inline fuse perhaps it blew open. Wires should be going into the fuse box under the hood unless the person who installed it routed it differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Vehicle Info: 2007 auto

SC: URD stg3 70mm pulley

Install Mileage: 70,xxx

Add on CAI: custom

Other Options: Doug Thourley headers, full URD race only exhaust, snow stg3 meth, 110oct race, etc......

Fuel: 880cc injectors, Walbro 255, -6 fuel lines, 110oct

Performance Info: 401whp @ 17psi

Issues/Comments: Its almost as fast as my 2010 BMW M3 from a roll

Picture: Yep

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anyone know if the TRD SC kit pulleys have sealed bearings, unlike the regular engine serpentine pulleys/tensioner, which are not sealed?

Reason I ask: my alternator just died, so I'll have to remove the SC belt / tensioner to get to the main serpentine and remove it. With ~90k miles, I figured I'd replace the main accy pulleys and tensioner, since those are known to crap out. However, should I also replace the pulleys and tensioner for the SC? That looks like another good chunk of $$.....plus I didn't even know the part numbers. Anyone with high miles on their SC and original SC pulleys/tensioner?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
Vehicle Info: 2007 auto

SC: URD stg3 70mm pulley

Install Mileage: 70,xxx

Add on CAI: custom

Other Options: Doug Thourley headers, full URD race only exhaust, snow stg3 meth, 110oct race, etc......

Fuel: 880cc injectors, Walbro 255, -6 fuel lines, 110oct

Performance Info: 401whp @ 17psi

Issues/Comments: Its almost as fast as my 2010 BMW M3 from a roll

Picture: Yep
I have several questions on your build. I am also running the URD mk3 but with the 75mm pulley. Also the larger tundra throttle body 76mm. How are you running the 70mm pulley on the blower without the additional spacer injector? Doesn’t cause a lean condition without the additional fuel?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Vehicle Info: 2013 5-speed automatic
Supercharger: Magnuson
Installation Miles: 69,782
Current Miles: ~71,000
CAI: TRD
Other Options: None
Performance Info:

• Peak Horsepower: +27.2 = +13.9% (196.8 -> 224)
  • Peak Torque (ft-lbs): +45.9 = +24.6% (186.3 -> 232.2)
  • 3500 RPM Horsepower: +37.5 = +30% (112.5 -> 150)
  • 3500 RPM Torque (ft-lbs): +53 = +31% (170.5 -> 223.5)

Issues / Comments:

Picture

·
Registered
204 Posts
Vehicle Info: 2013 5-speed automatic
Supercharger: Magnuson
Installation Miles: 69,782
Current Miles: ~71,000
CAI: TRD
Other Options: None
Performance Info:

• Peak Horsepower: +27.2 = +13.9% (196.8 -> 224)
  • Peak Torque (ft-lbs): +45.9 = +24.6% (186.3 -> 232.2)
  • 3500 RPM Horsepower: +37.5 = +30% (112.5 -> 150)
  • 3500 RPM Torque (ft-lbs): +53 = +31% (170.5 -> 223.5)
Did I miss something? These numbers are too low.....that's below a stock engine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My alternator crapped out @ 89k miles, so I went ahead and changed all the pulleys (main belt and SC belt), belts, and sparkplugs. I stared and stared at the sparkplugs, but couldn't figure out any way to change the driver's side plugs without pulling the supercharger off the intake. I know one or two people have mentioned doing it without pulling the SC, but never provided any details or proof. And I analyzed using swivels, short extensions, etc, and it still would have been a major PITA. So I pulled the SC off. First you pull the airbox off, then unbolt and remove the intercooler (12 bolts) and swing it out of the way. I hung it up from the hood with a few pieces of twine. Then you unbolt the SC from the manifold (6 bolts, which can stay in place...you'll understand when you unbolt them) and a few brackets/bolts, and swivel/move it forward. This way I didn't have to disconnect any coolant lines on the intercooler or the throttle body.

Be sure to use the proper sparkplugs: Toyota/Magnusson specs a step cooler plug when using a SC. And no autoparts store or online place will know which one: Per my SC install manual: Denso IHK22 (or 5345...same part), and check/set the gap (0.032). You could probably do a cross-reference and find something else, but IHK22 is what was installed in mine 10 years ago, and the plugs are still available.

The SC pulleys on my 08 use two different bearings: 6303-2RS (x4. 17mm (inner diameter) x 47mm (outer dia) x 14mm (thick)), and a 6203-2RS (x1 17mm x 40mm x 12mm). The local guy who rebuilt my alternator had the bearings in stock and swapped them out for me. To be sure, check the numbers on your bearings...I have no idea if TRD/Magnusson changed things over the years. For the main serpentine belt pulleys, I just bought the Gates pulleys mentioned in many other threads. Would have been cheaper to just do the bearings, but I bought everything in advance, online, and wasn't really planning to do the SC pulleys, until one sounded like gravel after removing the belt.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Did I miss something? These numbers are too low.....that's below a stock engine.
Dnyo'd at the wheels with the engine hot, in 2WD (still haven't located a 4WD dyno near me) with 98-ish lbs of wheel+tire on each hub.

If you assume nothing was wrong with the stock engine, then I was losing ~64 HP and ~85 ft-lbs, so it maybe makes 288 HP and 317 ft-lbs at the crank now.

My engine/compartment runs hot and the air intake is a consistent 120 - 130 fahrenheit; I've heard folks say you can gain an additional 1HP per degree colder intake, so I was maybe starting a bit far back, too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Gotcha....I figured the numbers were at the wheels (not crank).....but still seem a little low, but I've never dyno'd mine so perhaps that's the real world. But either way, it does make a big difference :)

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Found a great video on Magnuson Supercharger for 2010 plus model year.
Also you will see one the original engineer/designer which he used to work for TRD/Supercharger and now he is working for Magnuson.
Supercharger is definitely on my list.
https://youtu.be/GbFKMfLeCiw

·
Registered
419 Posts
I now own MikeTx's 08 TT and with it about to hit 95k (92kish on the SC) I'm researching the average time before overhaul on these Eaton M90's. Mike changed the oil every 30k so it's had service beyond normal there and I do not hear any noise from the supercharger at all. No leaks, seems to make boost as expected by my seat of the pants dyno.

As this thread is a few years old since the original posting I'm curious what some of the long term SC guys are seeing with maintenance (other than oil and belts) and rebuild... or even just replacing the coupler and doing a snout rebuild, etc. Rotor coatings? Whatever...

I've talked with Jon Bond, High Speed Labs and Superchargers online but have heard anything from 80 to 100k to 'when it makes noise'... so obviously it's subjective.

And on that note... who, if any of you, have you guys used to rebuild your SC?

And to participate...

Vehicle Info: 2008 TT AT
SC: TRD
Installation Miles: 3,000
SC Miles: 92000
Current Miles: 94850 (Dec 2018)
CAI: TRD and now an AFE
Other options: TRD exhaust
Performance Info: None
Issues/comments: None yet, other than I love it.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
@ridefoxone I am trying to reply back to the PM that you have sent me since yesterday and can’t sent you any messages/PM.
I have contacted the moderator so he can look into it, however more than likely you have chosen not to receive private messages/Emails.

You have to login to your account and enable from the drop down list so you can receive messages/PM from forum members.

Dennis

·
Registered
501 Posts
Trans cooler install question

My SC kit is on the fedex truck as I'm typing this and I Have a question.
I was planning on installing a Trans cooler to the front of the SC's heat exchanger. Will this cause any issues in the cooling of the intake air?

221 - 240 of 254 Posts