494 Posts
Re: Trans cooler install question

Bump

·
Registered
494 Posts

Bump
My SC kit is on the fedex truck as I'm typing this and I Have a question.
I was planning on installing a Trans cooler to the front of the SC's heat exchanger. Will this cause any issues in the cooling of the intake air?

·
Registered
317 Posts

My SC kit is on the fedex truck as I'm typing this and I Have a question.
I was planning on installing a Trans cooler to the front of the SC's heat exchanger. Will this cause any issues in the cooling of the intake air?
I had a similar thought while I was installing my S/C in my 2008. The S/C intercooler goes in front of the engine radiator and I thought that it might hinder or slow air flow needed for cooling the engine. Once the S/C was installed, according to my scan gauge, my engine temps stayed the same. There might have been some fluctuations such as going over the mountain passes, cruising through Nevada in the hot months , but I never noticed as I was more concerned about transmission temps. Normally engine temps stayed at 180 F. I purchased a small trailer a year ago and I wanted more cooling so I bought an external transmission cooler from Wholesale Automatic Transmissions and a larger engine radiator from CSF. I haven't installed either yet, but the transmission cooler goes in front of the intercooler and based on my earlier temperature observations, I'm confident that the air flow needed for cooling will be sufficient. YMMV, if you live, work or play in hot areas.

There might be a some modding I need to do to make this trans cooler fit as the newer FJ's with S/C, 2010 and up, have the inlet for their S/C intercooler on the passenger side (see pics) and ours 2009 and older have it on the drivers side.
Google "Fj Cruiser External Transmission Cooler" to see a video on this trans cooler.

Aloha, J.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts

Thanks for the reply and mounting idea for the transcooler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2014 fj cruiser manual TTUE.

I decided I want to super charge it, and I would really love the URD one.

does anyone know why they stopped taking orders?

Seems like they do not have any available in stock. but they do for the 4runner? weird.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
"does anyone know why they stopped taking orders?"

Have you contacted URD directly to ask them? That would probably be the most direct way to find out.

·
Registered
317 Posts

I had a similar thought while I was installing my S/C in my 2008. The S/C intercooler goes in front of the engine radiator and I thought that it might hinder or slow air flow needed for cooling the engine. Once the S/C was installed, according to my scan gauge, my engine temps stayed the same. There might have been some fluctuations such as going over the mountain passes, cruising through Nevada in the hot months , but I never noticed as I was more concerned about transmission temps. Normally engine temps stayed at 180 F. I purchased a small trailer a year ago and I wanted more cooling so I bought an external transmission cooler from Wholesale Automatic Transmissions and a larger engine radiator from CSF. I haven't installed either yet, but the transmission cooler goes in front of the intercooler and based on my earlier temperature observations, I'm confident that the air flow needed for cooling will be sufficient. YMMV, if you live, work or play in hot areas.

There might be a some modding I need to do to make this trans cooler fit as the newer FJ's with S/C, 2010 and up, have the inlet for their S/C intercooler on the passenger side (see pics) and ours 2009 and older have it on the drivers side.
Google "Fj Cruiser External Transmission Cooler" to see a video on this trans cooler.

Aloha, J.

So I finally got around to installing the CSF radiator and at the same time the Wholesale auxiliary transmission cooler. The transmission cooler was a tight fit with just a few millimeters of clearance. Good news is that the combination of both larger radiator and auxiliary trans cooler works. Engine temps are exactly the same, 180 -185F on my normal travels to and from downtown Seattle. I'm also seeing a variance of 20-30F in lower temps on transmission. Normally trans temps run somewhere in between 170-200 on freeway. It's now at 150-180F.
The not so good news is, that there is some modding to fit the trans cooler. In hindsight the trans cooler was pricey and I should have just bought a larger B&M, Hayden or a Derale then fabricated another mount for it. It wouldn't have been any more difficult or problematic as I previously had fabricated a mount for a little auxiliary trans cooler that I installed a couple years ago. Oh well, I kind of bought the new aux trans cooler as an after thought as I was in the process of buying a valve body upgrade from same manufacturer. BTW, on both of the trans cooler installs, I put an external thermal bypass valve inline to keep the trans happy during cold weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Guys, Lost a couple ignition coils last weekend at Windrock, and that's all fixed, but it looks like the bypassed fuel took out(edit: or fouled?) my o2 (edit: and a/f) sensors. I have the TRD with URD Ucon EMS. There are Bosch sensors in there now. the shop that was troubleshooting the problem figured out what was wrong by swapping out two of the sensors with OEM Toyota sensors. Now the recommend changing all 4 sensors, which I am ok with, and say I should use Toyota, though I am thinking Bosch is what's recommended by Gadget. I sent him an email and I don't know if I will get a response in time. Are the Toyota sensors ok to use, or should I stick with Bosch. I think the shop is wanting me to use the Toyotas since they put two in there already, though they didn't ask me first. Its a good shop, and I don't want to burn them, but I want to do what's right for the PIG. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can anyone who has reflashed the ECU after installing TRD SC post the OS number that is shown after the reflash, please?

241 - 253 of 253 Posts