Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my FJ has 220,000+ kms now (137,000 mi) and I have a friend selling his TRD supercharger.

Now I’m obviously very tempted to take it off his hands but worried about the effect it’s gonna have on my engine & drivetrain.
I daily my FJ and want to know if this can cause reliability issues. What are your experiences with SC?
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
431 Posts
So my FJ has 220,000+ kms now (137,000 mi) and I have a friend selling his TRD supercharger.
In a previous post, you mentioned that you have a 2015 FJ. Did TRD ever deliver superchargers that fiit 2010 or newer? In other words will it fit your FJ at all?

Reactions: FaJa Cruiser

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
FJ-6MT has a good point, TRD S/C does not work on a '10~ FJ (they are for '07~'09 only).
For the later years buy a Magnuson kit, which was developed by TRD but not put into production by Toyota until Magnuson produced it on their own:

In answer to your original question: these S/C kits were developed to keep original engine life, so you might be just fine even though your engine already has some miles on it.

If you go beyond the original kit to higher ratio drive pulleys, adding a 7th injector and big fuel pumps, etc., those things might shorten engine life due to higher stress.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
"Apparently the TRD one fits the newer 1gr-fe too" - not sure who posted that web site in your photo, but the TRD site had been clear that the system TRD sold was only able to be used on an '07~'09 FJ. After TRD stopped selling all S/C kits they then allowed Magnuson to continue selling the '07~'09 one, and to put the '10~'14 one that had been developed but never introduced, into production.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a TRD super charger on my 04 Tacoma the kit was great and came with everything for a seamless install that said the performance improvement was nice and I didnt have any issues in 50,000 miles of daily use ,If there was ever a place to have one on a FJ its right in the first post pic the OP posted ,If I had access to sand dunes like that I wouldnt hesitate for a second as you could never have enough power for such awesome terrain! These TRD blowers are designed for mild boosting of these motors and are safe for doing so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So looks like the Magnuson is the way to go! I’ll do some more research before getting one as it’s a big investment for me. But totally worth it :D

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,971 Posts
Look into URD?

·
Registered
5 Posts
07 with dealer installed TRD SC. 125,000 miles. Love it. Love the acceleration and the sound. First 7 years were in Colorado and SC really made a difference at high altitude. No detrimental effects on engine reliability. Highly recommend it. The only problem is maintenance. I replaced all my coolant hoses at the 10 year point and the SC uses a different hose. The only way to get from Toyota was to buy a new SC kit! Had to have a local shop make one. Also they no longer have the drive belt but you can buy them online. They recommend a SC oil change at 100,000 miles I believe but Toyota won't do it. You can buy kits to do it yourself online and this is what I'll probably do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts