Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

281 - 300 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
haha, well that would make more sense, my mind just went to square tubing. I'll have to find some 1" by 2" then!
The specific size rectangular tube is listed in this thread, and you should be spacing all four rear bump stops. I would suggest looking at plastic cylinder stock that can be easily cut then shaped and bolted to spring bucket on the axle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I removed my rear sway bar about a year ago. I don't really notice a difference. It was pretty easy to remove maybe 15 20 minutes max.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I removed my rear sway bar about a year ago. I don't really notice a difference. It was pretty easy to remove maybe 15 20 minutes max.
The rear definitely made a difference for me. Much more roll on highways, but it's so great off road. I hung out behind the Icon truck today and we did a mix of high speed gravel, crawling, and fast shale and rock. My FJ held it's own, I consider the suspension upgrades a success. I do plan on reinstalling the swaybar when I get home and sourcing some disconnects. The drive to Summit got a little scary when it was storming while we were going through the mountains.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
what is necessary to use the Bilstein 25-187809 (Extended Length (in): 28.390 in.Collapsed Length (in): 16.440 in.) ? just the lower bushing swap?

also this might be good for someone wanting to go fast with 35's with have some extra extension
King 2.5 Front Adjustable Piggy Hose Reservoir Shock Jeep Wrangler JK with 3-5 Inch Lift: Off Road Shocks
The Bilsteins you mentioned and the Kings you linked are both for Jeeps. I don't think it's feasible to just swap out the bushings?

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
what is necessary to use the Bilstein 25-187809 (Extended Length (in): 28.390 in.Collapsed Length (in): 16.440 in.) ? just the lower bushing swap?

also this might be good for someone wanting to go fast with 35's with have some extra extension
King 2.5 Front Adjustable Piggy Hose Reservoir Shock Jeep Wrangler JK with 3-5 Inch Lift: Off Road Shocks
You might be better of with the Metal Tech long travel then. Shocks for that are 17" collapsed and 28.5" extended. With that Bilstein shock you would need only a marginally shorter bumpstop. .5" or less shorter than the MT LT bumpstop extension. It would probably be worth just going with the MT kit so you can use a better 2.5" shock for the rear weight and the MT HD springs are pretty good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i already have the Metaltech HD 3" springs and 2" bump spacer to stop my 35 12.50's from contacting the well. looking for the best shock what will provide the most down travel without bottoming out collapsed. to me it looks like something between 16 and 16.5 collapsed would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I've had parts sitting around since this past spring. Work and family events have had priority this year. Finally have been able to get a little time to hang some parts. Not fully flexed but you get the idea.

This is a pretty extreme difference from my old setup.

Excuse the paint in the driveway. The joys of having teenagers that decide to do their own projects...

·
Registered
164 Posts
i already have the Metaltech HD 3" springs and 2" bump spacer to stop my 35 12.50's from contacting the well. looking for the best shock what will provide the most down travel without bottoming out collapsed. to me it looks like something between 16 and 16.5 collapsed would be perfect.
I recently did a ton of research and recently bought custom length ICON 2.0 remote-resi shocks measuring 15.6” compressed and 26.475” extended. This means I now run 1" bump stops in the back and gained a lot of flex. As I recall they can make them in 1" differences so you could get them measuring 16.6” compressed and 27.475” extended for $330.70 a shock. ( just add $50 to whatever the base price for that diameter shock is).

the 2.5 diameter shocks run in 1" increments from 15.975” compressed 26.31" extended so you could get those if you wanted bigger ones for extra abuse.

PM me if you wanna talk.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rear sway bar is easy to remove. No driveshaft removal. You have to turn it a few different ways but I took mine off in about 15 minutes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
So I did a little looking around. As it turns out, Icon's rear 2" rear coil will work for the superflexy on the cheap LT rear. Got numbers straight from Icon and Toytec themselves.

Icon:
2” spring: 16.73”
3” overland spring: 17.13”

Toytec:
Superflex 2.0: 16.75"
Supeflex HD: 18"

These are the free lengths of the coils. Meaning icon's 2" rear spring will not fall out of the bucket at full droop. Since I already have Icon's rear springs all I need is to add SS brake lines and bolt on my 60071L's I've had sitting in my garage for 6 months. I'll post here how it goes!

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
So I did a little looking around. As it turns out, Icon's rear 2" rear coil will work for the superflexy on the cheap LT rear. Got numbers straight from Icon and Toytec themselves.

Icon:

2” spring: 16.73”

3” overland spring: 17.13”

Toytec:

Superflex 2.0: 16.75"

Supeflex HD: 18"

These are the free lengths of the coils. Meaning icon's 2" rear spring will not fall out of the bucket at full droop. Since I already have Icon's rear springs all I need is to add SS brake lines and bolt on my 60071L's I've had sitting in my garage for 6 months. I'll post here how it goes!

Sounds like a plan. What was the extended length of those. The IL's are 26. I can't remember... maybe 26.5. Total travel is 11.25". and the MT LT coil are 27".

Just make sure you have lots of room to work. I know my LT springs were a real joy to install. Broke all sorts of rules to get them in.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Sounds like a plan. What was the extended length of those. The IL's are 26. I can't remember... maybe 26.5. Total travel is 11.25". and the MT LT coil are 27".

Just make sure you have lots of room to work. I know my LT springs were a real joy to install. Broke all sorts of rules to get them in.
You nailed it. Yeah the 60071L's are 26.5" extended and stroke of 11.25. The MT coils are supposedly 19.25" free length, crazy long. I have a whole spreadsheet that tells me actual lift height based on other spring's specs and my current weight in the FJC. All I have to find out by measuring is how compressed my current Icon coils are. 16.73" uncompressed. I measured 11.375" compressed height with the FJC loaded. Therefore with the spring rate of 218 lbs/in there is 1167.4 lbs loading each spring. Then I can play with the spring rates and spring free lengths to give me lift numbers with different springs based on the force applied that I calculated.

I'm wondering if I could compress the 60071L's by hand for an easy install.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
I'm wondering if I could compress the 60071L's by hand for an easy install.

I honestly doubt it. They are pretty stiff. Mine came with the shipping bracket installed. I stuck them in the top mount, released the clip and slid it in the bottom as they opened up. They weren't the issue as much as were the MT coils.
Had a heck of a time compressing the MT coils enough to get them in. Ended up using the old school ratchet strap method to compress them enough to get them seated. And that was combined with a floor jack and two bottle jacks to flex everything out to the max.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
I honestly doubt it. They are pretty stiff. Mine came with the shipping bracket installed. I stuck them in the top mount, released the clip and slid it in the bottom as they opened up. They weren't the issue as much as were the MT coils.
Had a heck of a time compressing the MT coils enough to get them in. Ended up using the old school ratchet strap method to compress them enough to get them seated. And that was combined with a floor jack and two bottle jacks to flex everything out to the max.
Yeah mine came the same way. I'll see if I can wedge it in there as they open, similar to what you did.

I just measured how lifted my FJC was. I always thought it was around 2.75 in the front and 2.0 in the back. I took into account my .5" body lift and I'm only at like 1" suspension lift in the back and about 2" suspension lift in the front. :lol:

I love how it rides so I didn't want to change everything up in order to compensate for 2.5" or 3" lift in the back. Another reason was how long those MT coils are. My brother tried putting them in his 4Runner but got annoyed and ended up taking it to a shop. So I feel your pain!

281 - 300 of 330 Posts