Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

301 - 320 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah mine came the same way. I'll see if I can wedge it in there as they open, similar to what you did.

I just measured how lifted my FJC was. I always thought it was around 2.75 in the front and 2.0 in the back. I took into account my .5" body lift and I'm only at like 1" suspension lift in the back and about 2" suspension lift in the front. :lol:

I love how it rides so I didn't want to change everything up in order to compensate for 2.5" or 3" lift in the back. Another reason was how long those MT coils are. My brother tried putting them in his 4Runner but got annoyed and ended up taking it to a shop. So I feel your pain!
I can compress my OME shocks using my body weight, but probably couldn't by hand. I just compress them (threaded end down) by leaning on them, then quickly get them positioned and let them extend through the upper mount. I cheated and had a shop install the coils.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
After talking about it forever I finally got everything fitted! 60071L's + SS brake lines. I might be the first to run superflexy on the cheap with regular Icon 2" rear lift coils. It works! Rear swaybar still on with SBE702 skyjacker extended end links.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
After talking about it forever I finally got everything fitted! 60071L's + SS brake lines. I might be the first to run superflexy on the cheap with regular Icon 2" rear lift coils. It works! Rear swaybar still on with SBE702 skyjacker extended end links.

Awesome! Looks great! I do think you'll get more gains w/out the swaybar though. I used to have measurements with and without. I'll try to find them.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Looks great Mate,
Really liking the white badges.... and the custom rear recovery point !!!
:rofl:

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I wanted to safely check axle flex without the extended bump stops in place to make sure they weren't limiting upward travel. I put the rear frame on jack stands with the rear tires about an inch off of the ground, and slowly lifted the axle with a floor jack under one rear shock. I stopped when the lifted side started to come off of the jack stand.

IMG_7326.jpg

About 7" on the compressed side.

IMG_7328.jpg

And almost 16" on the drooped side. Normal ride height is around 10"...

IMG_7330.jpg

I am sure that there is more flex in there but I didn't want to push my luck on floor jacks.

IMG_7329.jpg

This is all "static" with no extreme weight distribution that would normally be seen on trails, I wish had an RTI ramp....

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
I wanted to safely check axle flex without the extended bump stops in place to make sure they weren't limiting upward travel. I put the rear frame on jack stands with the rear tires about an inch off of the ground, and slowly lifted the axle with a floor jack under one rear shock. I stopped when the lifted side started to come off of the jack stand.

This is all "static" with no extreme weight distribution that would normally be seen on trails, I wish had an RTI ramp....

This might work OK if you were to remove your springs, rear anti-swaybar and rear wheels.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
This might work OK if you were to remove your springs, rear anti-swaybar and rear wheels.
Yup, that didn't work too well... But I found a rock, and got better results!

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7575.jpg

·
Registered
598 Posts
I haven't installed mine. But this is my biggest concern, as I drive 45-50k a year. I don't want to replace shocks yearly....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two questions:

Anyone have any opinions on the Bilstein 6112s for the front?

Anyone have complaints about running the OME 60071L in the rear?

My plan thus far:

SPC upper control arms (already have)
Bilstein 6112 up front
Rear 60071L
Rear Metal Tech HD springs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm. Wondering if I should just go with MT's long travel kit.

Concerned about the uptravel loss people talk about.

I have offset links already.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Two questions:
Anyone have complaints about running the OME 60071L in the rear?
In my father's words, "It rides like a farm truck."
They flex well off road, but are valved for an 80 series cruiser, so they're pretty darn stiff. I'm mostly using them as an intermediate step between stock shocks and whatever LT I choose to use in the future.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Hmm. Wondering if I should just go with MT's long travel kit.

Concerned about the uptravel loss people talk about.

I have offset links already.
I really like the travel, so I can compromise with them a little on the street. But like @DubstepPear said, I kinda just want to move to the MT LT in the future, to get a much better shock and use the bump stop spacers as an excuse to stop future 35's from rubbing so much.

It's all a system, right now it works fine.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Same boat here. Love what they do off-road and carry extra weight on road to soften them up. My last set of OMEs took awhile to break in IMO but they do last and will take the abuse.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Same boat here. Love what they do off-road and carry extra weight on road to soften them up. My last set of OMEs took awhile to break in IMO but they do last and will take the abuse.
Any problems with the paint on them? Maybe it's just because I live on a gravel road, but every few months I have to repaint them because the previous layer is gone.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Any problems with the paint on them? Maybe it's just because I live on a gravel road, but every few months I have to repaint them because the previous layer is gone.

Yeah, they won't win any beauty contests, that's for sure! Guess I'm used to it. Ran them on my 86 4Runner for years. Looked rough after the first winter here in the NE. But no problems with function. I just spray mine down w/ fluid film every few months.

Definitely need a few hundred pounds in the back for daily use for them to feel right though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I recently blew a rear shock. One of the previous owners put in 2" rear springs and some Rough Country rear shocks.

I thought about a getting the long Pro Comp shocks but ultimately I assumed they were similar to the Rough Country shocks I already had in terms of ride quality. OK by all means but I wanted something better.

When it came down to it I didn't need super long travel like some of you. I also didn't have the budget for ICONs or similar. I wanted a little more travel and a better ride so I was going to settle on the Bilstein 5100. Good shock just not longer than what I had.

Lucky for me I came across a very good deal on a new pair of the Fox 2.0 shocks. They arrived 2nd day for free and I installed them today. So far so good.

The shocks are about 1 to 1.25" longer than my previous shocks. They are rated for 2-3" lift. Somewhere Iconic has a spreadsheet with the shock length differences. These are about 2" shorter than the Pro Comps I almost ordered.

Remember my springs were already longer than stock. Turns out that at full droop, the Fox 2.0's are only about a 1/2 inch shorter than where the spring starts to lose contact with the bucket. It would still have to move over an inch for the spring to come off so there shouldn't be an issue. The longer shocks would have been a waste without longer or dual rate springs. Who knows, maybe mine are actually 2" springs or are just stiff.

Note I also removed the rear sway bar. No issue with brake lines or other. I don't notice any difference with it gone in terms of body roll. Definitely better than having a blown rear shock and a sway bar.

The length from mid hub to bottom of the fender at full droop is 29" (wheel removed for measurement and axle dropped. Other tire still on ground). Not crazy like some of you but better than stock. Perfect for exploring/over landing with good ride quality.

Anyway, I posted this because I found very little info on the board about the Fox 2.0 rear shocks. I'll try to post some semi-flexi pics.

Follow up pics:

Found a small hill so I threw it up. Stopped when the front driver wheel started spinning. Looks about average for the non flexy springs. Not sure if there is more flex available or if that is about it, it's probably close though. Some day I'll do it again but go further up and take pics from the rear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
I have the OME 60071L shocks and skyjacker extended sway bar end links. I tested max down travel with the sway bar connected and disconnected. I gained 1/4" of travel at the wheel with it disconnected. So almost nothing, could even be attributed to measurement error. I'm wondering if the extended end links help me gain some flex over the standard links. Either way the sway bar isn't the limiting factor, in my setup with MT offset lower links the shock down travel is still the limiting factor. Nothing binds.

Attachments

301 - 320 of 330 Posts