Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this winch through a group buy hereWell it's been over 3 years with this winch and I havent had any issues with it. Performs great, every time, no issues. It was mounted exposed in my Fab Fours bumper on my FJC to New York winters and salt, and is now in my 87 4 runner which is wheeled pretty heavily. It has numerous recoveries under its belt and dosent even hint at any signs of needing a rebuild.

I am curious how everybody else who has one likes it. Any issues, problems ?

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
I loved mine from May 2008 until it quit at Cruise Moab 2010. Prior to that it really only had light occasional use. The motor/gearbox gave out. I bought it based largely on a comparison test with other winches (I think it was 4 Wheel & Off Road Magazine). I generally hear good things about Superwinch and Warn but I guess there is always an exception. I did manage to get a new motor/gearbox for no cost but haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
From what I hear... not using your winch is worse than using it alot. Not sure if that is the issue or not with woodsman's motor/gearbox. But, I have had nothing but awesome results with this winch. I use mine at least once a month just to get the gears and motor moving. Plus, it's good to know that it's still working before you need it. :)

Pros:
Lowest amp draw
Great support
Works great and reliable
spool speed with no load is fast - (great for keepin winch tension when you are almost unstuck)
easy to find replaceable parts - (not that i've needed any)
Great price

Cons:
no load spool speed is fast - (not so easy when trying to respool the winch line)
It is very heavy!!! In comparison to the Warn it's almost 20lbs heavier.

Probably more to add... but, that was quick info from memory. But, yeah... i'm really happy overall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts