Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some surface rust on my rear passenger side panel. My FJ is not even two years old. Has anyone else noticed any surface rust on their vehicle?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Isn't the side panel plastic? So the rust looks like steel rust or is it turning white?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Haven't experienced it yet, but we usually don't get rust in the desert too much.:bandit:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
This is more than likely just some metallic "environmental fallout". (Crap on the surface of your paint) I've seen painted plastic bumper covers "rust" because of this

If you live, work or park near train tracks or a freeway, it's even more likely to be something that needs to be removed by "claying" then waxed.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is more than likely just some metallic "environmental fallout". (Crap on the surface of your paint) I've seen painted plastic bumper covers "rust" because of this

If you live, work or park near train tracks or a freeway, it's even more likely to be something that needs to be removed by "claying" then waxed.
I wet my finger and rubbed the area and the rust appears to be through the paint.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I wet my finger and rubbed the area and the rust appears to be through the paint.
Yep,
and you can wash it and the paint will feel rough. Steel rust on paint can be caused by airborne metal fragments from vehicle and train brakes or industrial fallout.

It more than likely can be removed by a "claying"

I'm not trying to deny that you find rust, let's just find out if it's on the top of the paint or coming through from the bottom (highly unlikely)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep,
and you can wash it and the paint will feel rough. Steel rust on paint can be caused by airborne metal fragments from vehicle and train brakes or industrial fallout.

It more than likely can be removed by a "claying"

I'm not trying to deny that you find rust, let's just find out if it's on the top of the paint or coming through from the bottom (highly unlikely)
No, it appears to be surface rust. It is not coming through from the underside of the metal.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry... I would take it to the best detailing shop I could find and have them give you an estimate... And then to the best body/paint shop. One of them should be able to tell you what's up and how to go about fixing it.. Cheers.. Ron
Thanks Ron. I think I'll take it back to the dealership and see what they have to say about it first.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I've notice spekles of rust on my roof.Taking it to the dealer today.I dont know WTF is going on with Toyota's crapy paint.:flame:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You desert folks<<<=;) At least we don't have to worry about sucking sand/silica down the tube.. No wait.. That's a bad thing.................................. I'm really missing the desert.. Ron

I'm starting to get a little bit of surface rust after about 8 months of leaving a huge region of body damaged completely exposed with no paint or primer.... gotta love AZ! :D

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Got back from the dealer. The detail guy said that it was acid rain. Came off with a clay bar. What a relief. Still got a bit of rust on the frame. Toyota is going to inspect the car on 8/13/08. I'll keep you guys posted. CLAY BAR UR ROOF AND PUT SOME WAX SO $HIT DOES NOT STICK ON THE ROOF.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Normally there's a "rust-thru" clause. It can rust to crap and as long as it doesn't rust through they won't cover it. I've heard that some Taco's were recalled due to badly rusted frames, but that's very rare. Some of my Jeep friends from the NE have more rust on 2-5 year old jeeps than 50 year old cars here.. Ron

I have plenty on my underbody.... Is any of that covered under the corrosion warranty, or does that only apply to body panels?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts