Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

361 - 380 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't remember seeing this when I browsed this thread before, so forgive me if I missed it.

Is there a resource out there that can tell us easily how big of a survival knife you can carry on your person in all the states? Unconcealed and also concealed.

I would hate to have a knife strapped to my backpack and then have a wildlife officer or police officer decide it's too large and confiscate it and give me legal troubles.

Anyone know of something clear cut?

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I don't remember seeing this when I browsed this thread before, so forgive me if I missed it.

Is there a resource out there that can tell us easily how big of a survival knife you can carry on your person in all the states? Unconcealed and also concealed.

I would hate to have a knife strapped to my backpack and then have a wildlife officer or police officer decide it's too large and confiscate it and give me legal troubles.

Anyone know of something clear cut?

Thanks,

Todd
That would be far too easy! Unfortunately, there are no preemption laws for knives in the United States. Because of this, a state law on a knife means absolutely nothing, because individual cities and counties can set their own laws regarding what is legal/illegal as far as knives go. For instance, Colorado state knife law states that no knife with a blade over 3.5" can be carried on your person concealed, but there is no limit on the size of a knife carried openly (strapped to a belt/your pack). However, Boulder county (damn hippies) bans the carry of ANY knife, regardless of size. So you get caught carrying a knife in Boulder and you are going to jail, despite it being completely legal in Colorado.

So it is essentially impossible to determine what knife can be legally carried on a national basis, because every state, county, and city can have it's own law on what is legal or illegal. Stupid right?

·
Registered
384 Posts
That was totally not the answer I was hoping to hear. But very good to know at least.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
That was totally not the answer I was hoping to hear. But very good to know at least.

Thanks!
Yeah it sucks. Basically, if you know where you are going, google the knife law for the state first, and then the county and city just to be safe. I do this whenever I am planning on traveling to a new area, and avoid places that infringe on my rights like the plague (i.e. boulder).

·
Registered
878 Posts
I just cruised through 37 pages of survival knives and didn't notice any mention of Mora... Hmmm...

Anyhow, I've got a Kabar, Camillus Pilot survival, a Bob Dozier small game skinner, and several other one-off/random knives.. . all 1095 Carbon (except the D2 dozier).

When it comes time to DO stuff with a knife, the one I grab is my Mora:

It's an AMAZING blade. It stays scalpel sharp with minimum effort... very comfy.
This one stays in my FJ:

Plus, at $15-$20, if you hate it, you didn't lose much. :king:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I asked about them in post 331.....
Dang, I KNEW that would happen! Haha...
the old ones were a bit thin, but the new companions and the robust are really nice..
At any rate, now there's another bump for Mora! :blueblob:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Recently picked up this addition. Solid.

Sent from my Samsung S4. Disregard horrible spelling and bad grammar.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
This is my DPx HEST Assault II

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have the same blade, except with the stone washed finish. Amazing knife. My only issue with it is the pry bar jabs into my side when I have it in a kydex sheath on my hip and I'm sitting. I'm gonna try and make an end cap of some sort.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have the same blade, except with the stone washed finish. Amazing knife. My only issue with it is the pry bar jabs into my side when I have it in a kydex sheath on my hip and I'm sitting. I'm gonna try and make an end cap of some sort.
Amazing blade...the only downside was the horrible sheath that came with it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
Getting ready to purchase a Ka-Bar and cant decide which survival knife to go with?

1) Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed
2) KA-BAR BK10 Becker Crewman Fixed

I hear a lot about the BK2 and how great it is but the BK10 seems to not get as much attention. What do you guys think BK2 or BK10?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Getting ready to purchase a Ka-Bar and cant decide which survival knife to go with?

I hear a lot about the BK2 and how great it is but the BK10 seems to not get as much attention. What do you guys think BK2 or BK10?
I personally think they are both way too big. Both knives seem designed around battoning wood. Knives are for cutting, not battoning wood. If you want to chop wood, get a small hatchet. Because of their size, I don't think they would be very good at cutting tasks that require any type of precision. So if you went with one of those, you'd need a smaller knife for precise cutting. I blame the Crocodile Dundee and Rambo movies for making people think a survival knife has to be huge.

That's just my opinion though, so don't put too much weight on it :bigthumb:.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts

I just got the Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed 2 days ago. $68 on Amazon :D

It's a nice size, I think I'm going to like it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the tips and input guys appreciate it. Subverto they are on the large size for sure. I do carry a hatchet/smaller Spyderco folders for camping but it is just too much fun to run around in the woods like Rambo not to buy one. If I was in a survival situation a knife that could do it all would make the cut over my Fiskars as I was running out the door with my pack.

lqdchkn Ka-Bar has such a good name/following I'm sure you will like it. I'm stoked for whichever I decide on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I carry and swear by my steel eagle 107c xx by tops knives it is hands down the best knife I've ever used and that includes my SOG seal team that I've had for years also I get all of my knives from a great group of guys at RED HILLS SHEATHS they deal in tops knives and do custom sheaths for everything with all sorts of mounting options I take mine with the same sheath and move it from my best to my belt to my pack and then to a molle spot on my fj check it out the knife is the best of all worlds for every situation and the guys at red hills will hook you up with the best mounting equipment you can have for it all for a great price. But remember you pay for what you get and when failure would mean my life I settle for nothing but the best and in my work failure is always yours and your teams life.

361 - 380 of 404 Posts