Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm really surprised no custom knives are mentioned. Check out Busse Knives and Tom Johannings survival knife. Both very expensive, but great knives.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'm a custom Knife maker and I can answer a couple of your questions.
You definitely want a FULL tang blade. I make my personal knives out of D2.
It takes and HOLDS a great edge. Stay away from 440C and 420 steel. It is hard to sharpen and does NOT hold an edge. I would also recommend that you wait and save up a bit more money so you can buy a better knife. I'm happy to see you don't want a very long blade. I don't like blades over 5 inches on anything other than a machete. I hope I helped out a bit. Good luck on your decision. .........:cheers:
So you not a Rambo fan:mecry:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Gerber LMF II on my Mpac rack.

I like it, it has a nice heavy feel to it.
How did you mount the sheath, I just bought the exact same style sheath for my kabar and wanted to hook it up to one of the molle bags or the mpac itself

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Your budget is what is goung to severly limit your capability. This is a "surival knife", something that I would take as my life will depend on this. I would not skimp out in this area? There are many fine knife makers out there. I would recommend upiing your budget find out your needs and intended uses lfor the knife. Look for a full tang knife. I prefer S30V heat treated but D2 wouls also be a fine choice, full tang blade. Again budgete here.

Also this is not the best forum for thia type of information. I would check out the follwing Usual Suspect Network, bladeforums, jerzeedevil. Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
How did you mount the sheath, I just bought the exact same style sheath for my kabar and wanted to hook it up to one of the molle bags or the mpac itself
If I remember, the snaps on the back of the sheath are going through one of the molle loops on that one bag.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There are lots of choices and this gets pretty subjective. So...I have the Sog Seal Pup(see Post #8) in my bug out bag. Five years and no rust issues.
Light and handy. My Sog folder has served me well for 15 years as one of my daily carry knives. Never carry just one knife.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I have the LMF II as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may sound cheesey, but I just picked up the Gerber Bear Grylls survival knife. My first impressions is that it looks promising. Very similar to the LMF2. It has a built in sharpener, and fire starter in the sheath. The sheath can be mounte verticle or horizontal, and holds the knife in either right or left handed orientations (plus for me I usually carry left handed). It is also in your price range.

I also have a Red Scorpion Six WSK. This is based on the Tom Brown/Becker survival knife design. A little on the heavy side, but it is a jack of all trades survival tool.

Good luck.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I am a firm believer in a good knife, but I don't like all kinds of gadgets on mine. I have to recommend the Kershaw Antelope Hunter 2. You can pick them up for about $14 with a nice leather sheath included. I hunt almost every weekend 5 months out of the year and fish the rest of the time and this knife holds an edge very well, can be made razor sharp, has a blaze orange handle for visibility, and actually gets stickier when wet.

And, if you aren't happy with it, it's $14 dollars down the drain.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My EDC is a SOG Trident, but I have a SOG Seal Pup strapped to my MPAC with its MOLLE compatible nylon sheath. Haven't used it yet, but it came sharp and looks sweet. Very lightweight, but I feel like the grip could be a little bigger.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Knives, like guns, trucks and all toys have price tags.

I am fond of the MPK (Mission Knives multi-purpose knife), first made for the SEAL Teams. I was an officer at Naval Special Warfare Group One when we did the 'knife-off' in 1991 for the Teams and the MPK beat ALL comers. The SOG knife (made of steel) was a distant second because it was not non-magnetic and being made of steel, it would inevitably rust. The MPK came through every brutal test with flying colors.:ninja:
Larry, can ordinary mortals without friends in high places :) carry this knife legally in the PRK? Could also use some advice on how to legally transport my sidearm while there too.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Wow, great thread! This survival knife thing always pops into my head but I never know where to start looking...here it is for me.

I really like the reviews on the ESEE 5. Looks atheistically similar to the Gerber LMF II but seems to have an edge (no pun intended) on overall blade quality and sheathing...

In my current financial state though the Gerber is a little more appealing to me.

Thanks guys.

21 - 40 of 404 Posts