Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

401 - 404 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
10,293 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my ESEE 5. Works great! A bit heavy, but it's more a benefit than a failure since I can use it for chopping and cutting. It also may be helpful in the kitchen for meat or fish.
12 Best Survival Knives [Buyer's Guide] (Jan. 2020) - Experts often critisize 1095 carbon steel that most ESEE knives are being made. But I own mine for 2 years now and it has no visual signs of corrosion or weathering.
It lacks some sharpness or lesser weight to Ka-Bar or Kershaw, but it can be yout top-1 choice if you need a rugged and heavy blade to chop and cut things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is no ONE KNIFE. I almost always carry at least two: one on the belt + either a neck knife or a pocket folder. I generally prefer look and feel natural materials for the sheath and handle, but sometimes I want something a bit more understated that will "blend in" with my clothing.

For everyday carry when I'll be away from the house/farm and don't want to appear so rustic, I like the SOG belt knife (lower left) and the matching folder (lower right). If I'm not camping, but carrying a pack (like a photo trip), I like to put the big OKC SP-2 survival knife on the pack, and keep the Gen-II SP40 accessible in the truck. If I had to get rid of everything else, these are the four knives I would keep, even for camping, although I much prefer my hunting / camping knives (below) from an aesthetic perspective.

When I'm camping or traveling through remote / backcountry areas, these are the knives I carry. The OKC Air Force Survival Knife (upper left) usually stays on the pack. It's a bit smaller and lighter than the SP-2 above, and I prefer the feel of the leather handle over the polymer of the SP-2. The BPSKnives Bushcrafter (upper right) stays on the belt usually on my right hand (strong) side, behind the hip belt loop. I use this knife predominantly for processing firewood and chores around camp. The Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner (lower left) also goes on strong hand side, ahead of the hip belt loop. This is a classic hunting knife for processing game/fish. The Benchmade Hidden Canyon (lower right) goes on the left hip for cross-draw access. I use this one for fine work or quick access while fishing or other such needs. The Benchmade North Fork folder stays in the right pocket as a backup.

These are some of my other knives. Upper left is a Bobcat Bowie with damascus steel. It's too pretty to carry. Upper right is CDS Survival with Granadillo wood handle. I had high hopes for this knife because I like the "scout" orientation of the black leather sheath. Unfortunately, the sheath has a major design flaw, where the blade has to be drawn across the securing snap, so it's not practical for field use. Absolutely beautiful knife, though. Beneath it is an Elk Ridge Bushcrafter. I love this knife...great size, balance, beauty, etc. but a bit too pretty to beat up in the field. I will often wear this on my belt around the home/farm. Beneath that is a new OKC I just added called RAT-3. Another really nice sized knife. I will EDC this one on my belt when I'm dressed in casual wear. Not too big, not too small, lovely blade and handle, nice leather sheath. Lower left corner is OKC's version of a bushcrafting knife. This knife is also really good for processing firewood and other "around camp" duties, very similar to the BDS above, but the blade doesn't feel as sturdy, so I'm a bit reluctant to baton it with the same force I do the BTS. Good knife, though.

These are some of my folders and whittlers. Top left is a gorgeous Helle birch burl handled folder with stainless+high carbon laminated blade. Sharpest knife by far in my collection. Dangerously so! Beneath that are a couple of smaller belt knives I use around the farm, the bone handle from Case and the polymer handle for Old Timer. Upper right is the classic Opinel Carbone #8. Extremely lightweight and wicked sharp, best whittling knife I own. Beneath that is an Old Timer folder. Bottom right is a Whinchester 3-blade pen knife, a classic Buck Canoe, and a Case bone-handled two-blade folder.

My absolute favorite neck knife is this CRKT Minimalist Bowie. Can be worn on belt or lanyard. I also have an el cheapo Timberline Mini Pit Bull that has withstood an amazing amount of every day abuse. Again, something I'll wear around the farm, particularly on hotter days when I don't want to wear an overshirt to conceal the larger belt knives.

While we're talking about blades and survival goodies, let's mention axes and saws. By far my favorite campsite axe is the Hults Bruk. Can be used for downing small trees, processing firewood, a hammer, a hand axe, etc. When I'm on a multi-day trek, this stays on my belt most of the time. I've yet to use this particular Corona RazorTOOTH Folding Pruning Saw, but it comes highly recommended, and I'm hoping it holds up better than some of the other cheap plastic or wood-handled ones I've used in the past. So much more efficient than an axe for collecting firewood! Essential backcountry gear. Finally, I will never camp again without vaseline-infused cotton balls. Absolute best fool-proof firestarter you can hope to use. Holds a HOT flame for 2-4 minutes (vaseline retards the burn of the cotton, making it last longer), and stupid easy to start with the Uberleben 5"x3/8" ferro rod, even in pouring rain. The collapsible bellows is also a no brainer. Super lightweight, and has saved many a dying fire for me.

401 - 404 of 404 Posts