Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Never carry just one knife.
Couldn't agree more. I always have 3 knives on me while in the bush. An inexpensive folding/locking knife for quick cuts, a Leatherman (currently a Surge, but also have a wave) and a Canadian Army 'Jump' Knife. Very sturdy knife. Full tang, holds an edge well. I've had no complaints and I've carried mine for over 15 years.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Got the new Cabelas Camping catalog in the mail the other day.
If any of you watch Man verses Wild or something like that with Bear Grylls on the Discovery channel, Gerber just released some items named after him.

The fixed blade one looks kind of like my Gerber LMF II which is a great knife.

Gerber Bear Grylls Fixed-Blade Knife

Gerber Bear Grylls Scout Knife

Gerber Bear Grylls Parang

They have other Bear Gryll's stuff there too.
I kind of like the fixed blade knife as it has a fire starter with it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Got the new Cabelas Camping catalog in the mail the other day.
If any of you watch Man verses Wild or something like that with Bear Grylls on the Discovery channel, Gerber just released some items named after him.

The fixed blade one looks kind of like my Gerber LMF II which is a great knife.

Gerber Bear Grylls Fixed-Blade Knife

Gerber Bear Grylls Scout Knife

Gerber Bear Grylls Parang

They have other Bear Gryll's stuff there too.
I kind of like the fixed blade knife as it has a fire starter with it.
I was looking at those. After reading the reviews I went with the LMF II. It seemed to me that too many were breaking the first time they were used as intended......

·
Premium Member
170 Posts

·
can i become 1/2mil90 for a little while
2,558 Posts
That is an excellent knife. I keep a Sere in my patrol bag.
I have been very pleased with mine. If something happens to it, I'll buy another.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone wanting the Bear Grylls knife.

Gerber knives are 30% off at REI May 20-30. They have a great return policy too.

I have some extra dividend cash and will probably pick one up myself.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone wanting the Bear Grylls knife.

Gerber knives are 30% off at REI May 20-30. They have a great return policy too.

I have some extra dividend cash and will probably pick one up myself.
That's actually pretty tempting... the Bear Grylls Ultimate looks good on paper, the reviews floating around on the 'net have kept me away until this point.

If Gerber OR REI would back it up from breakage, it might be worth the risk.

Thank you for the heads up! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm a fan of SOG myself....
Have also had good gerber knives and even still have an old timmer that I got when I was a kid - was my first fixed blade. It has skinned many deer and hogs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's actually pretty tempting... the Bear Grylls Ultimate looks good on paper, the reviews floating around on the 'net have kept me away until this point.

If Gerber OR REI would back it up from breakage, it might be worth the risk.

Thank you for the heads up! :)
The initial run of the Gerber Bear Grylls knife had issues, that is where most of the current reviews posted on the net are coming from. In January, Gerber ran a new batch (the current ones on the market), supossedly fixing the issues that have been brought up earlier. I have had one of the new production runs (Version 2) for a few months now, with no issues. It seems to be a pretty solid option IMO.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
We carried this little piece of steel around. Nothing fancy but it will sure hold an edge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
I picked up this SOG SEAL Revolver for cheap. Figured I'd give it a try...I mean c'mon, a knife/saw combo unit!:rocker:

I told my dad to get me a SOG SEAL Pup Elite for my birthday, so I'm looking forward to that being my primary here real soon!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my current crop.
I have many older knives dating back 100 years or more that were my dad's and his dad's.
Also have a few Swiss Army knives put away in a drawer somewhere, but these in the picture below are the ones that come with me on a camping trip or that I carry full time.

Top left with the case above it and a sharpener, fire starter, and a GI can opener is the Tops Knives Hoffman Harpoon 01.
(Looks like they are having a database problem, the links below for Topsknives was working earlier.
http://www.topsknives.com
http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=82

Below the Harpoon knife are two Gerber Coverts which have a spring that gives it assisted opening when you start to open the blade.
The smaller one is my daily carry at work, and it gets a good workout.

The bigger one is illegal to carry at work as the blade exceeds 3".
It is my main carry camping knife and knife I carry with me when I go out when not at work.

The big fixed blade is the Gerber LMF II which the Bear knife I posted in this thread looks similar to the LMF II.

Closeup of the Hoffman Harpoon knife.

I ordered a Gerber knife a few days ago, one of the Bear ones I posted earlier in this thread.
The Gerber Bear Grylls knife showed up Tuesday.
For $23.12 the knife is a steal.
Amazon.com: Gerber 31-000752 Bear Grylls Survival Series, Folding Sheath Knife: Home Improvement

I have been using it at work since Wednesday, and I like it a lot.
The serrated edge works great for cutting big thick zip ties, and the regular part of the blade is good for cutting just about anything including the plastic wrap on my microwavable lunches I bring to work :D

A knife guru at work took a look at it and said it was very good quality, and he liked the fact it has tightening screws up front that you can tighten if any play between the blade and the handle should ever develop.

You can also flick this knife open without using the thumb studs which is nice.

I got a very good sharpener than came with that harpoon knife, and a few strokes with both ends of the sharpener and the new knife is razor sharp.
https://lansky.com/index.php/outdoor/quick-fix-pocket-sharpener/

·
Registered
362 Posts
I read this whole thread and was leaning toward the ESEE-5, but after reading a couple of reviews that suggested it was a little too big I decided on the RAT-5 by Ontario. I really like the lines and heft of this knife. I got the D-2 steel model.

41 - 60 of 404 Posts