41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Ya Mike, ya got me thinking. As well as others here at work that teach this kind of stuff.

Friday I got a new book. "When all he11 breaks loose". I'm sure you know of it. Been reading a few pages at night.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ya Mike, ya got me thinking. As well as others here at work that teach this kind of stuff.

Friday I got a new book. "When all he11 breaks loose". I'm sure you know of it. Been reading a few pages at night.
I've heard of it, but have not read it. Let me know what you think when your done reading it. :)

Mike

·
Registered
196 Posts
I jsut stumbled upon this thread. I dont claim to know it all but I have been in a few crappy situations. This list is pretty legit and very comprehensive. everyone will have their own needs and styles but Shadow-Warrior takes the time to add why he carries these things and what they can be used for. This allows you all to make up your own minds about what suits your needs. I would suggest that defaulting to what he carries, why, and what he uses it for will steer none of you wrong if you dont have enough experience of your own just yet.

He put a lot of thought into this not to mention his valuable time. I hope everyone understands how valuable this info is. It takes years and years of experience not to mention the personal punishement (you have to get into these situations sometimes in order to learn how to get out).

SW - if you ever figure out how to get "common sense" down in writing pelase let me know. It is most difficult.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I jsut stumbled upon this thread. I dont claim to know it all but I have been in a few crappy situations. This list is pretty legit and very comprehensive. everyone will have their own needs and styles but Shadow-Warrior takes the time to add why he carries these things and what they can be used for. This allows you all to make up your own minds about what suits your needs. I would suggest that defaulting to what he carries, why, and what he uses it for will steer none of you wrong if you dont have enough experience of your own just yet.

He put a lot of thought into this not to mention his valuable time. I hope everyone understands how valuable this info is. It takes years and years of experience not to mention the personal punishement (you have to get into these situations sometimes in order to learn how to get out).

SW - if you ever figure out how to get "common sense" down in writing pelase let me know. It is most difficult.
Thanks for the kind words. :cheers:

i always refernce this thread when i get ready to go out/hunting/fishing/hiking/kayaking/camping/off roading....etc......RR
Thanks buddy, just trying to help other out and get others thinking about the what if's. :bigthumb:

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im active duty coast guard, my fiance is an RN. We both have advanced first aid kits (trache kits, airway tubes the whole nine) I go through my kit once a month to refamiliarize myself with the location of items within the kit and also to check expirations. A buddy of mine stopped by while i was in the middle of such an examination and started in with the 20 questions. My favorite and most anooying question i am always asked is "what the hell do you need all that stuff for?" implying that its overkill.
My response is always "I dont know, that's why it's there. If i knew what was going to happen to cause me to bust out my gear, my kit would fit into a film canister." (film canisters are also a really good item to keep small things seperated and dry) anyhow thanks for the post, it feels good knowing that not everyone out there is underequipped. I always tell people that their kits should have all the items theyre trained or comfortable or competent in using, unless of course youre a brain surgeon or an MRI tech lol.
anyhow have a great day!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
one thing i didnt see on your list, sam splint? theyre handy light and can be used to splint damn near anything, you can also use them as a small wind barrier when starting a fire, or a small clean and level work surface. If the splint exterior padding becomes ruined you can tear it off and use the aluminum interior for some really creative survival tools.

·
Registered
65 Posts
To the OP -- thanks for a great and thoughtful writeup!

A rule of thumb is that you shouldn't go anywhere, where you are not prepared to walk out if things go bad for you.
Another excellent advice.

Starting with hiking and then progressing into mountaineering will make a huge difference in survival abilities of a person. When you are out on a trail miles and thousands of vertical feet away from any help you are by definition and necessity learning how to survive and be self sufficient. You carry shelter, water and food on your back and not in your vehicle so the tools you choose are the most appropriate for survival without dependency on your vehicle.

Regular practice in the outdoors is a must and so is the daily physical exercise (best one I found so far is a StairMaster type machine -- not to be confused with an elliptical).

And believe it or not -- being outdoors in the mountains on foot is as much (if not more) addictive as 4-wheeling.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
one thing i didnt see on your list, sam splint? theyre handy light and can be used to splint damn near anything, you can also use them as a small wind barrier when starting a fire, or a small clean and level work surface. If the splint exterior padding becomes ruined you can tear it off and use the aluminum interior for some really creative survival tools.
That's because the thread was all about a small "Pocket" kit that you can wear on your person NOT a full blown First Responder Kit. This thread was to get people to think "Outside the Box". We have a lot of members that are now new to the off road world and need to think more than just hitting some trails driving around. I wanted to get people to think about the what if's when in the middle of no where. ;)

To the OP -- thanks for a great and thoughtful writeup!
Thanks. :cheers:

Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is a great thread. I am happy to have come across it. I hope you don't mind me dragging it out in the light again. I have no argument with any of it. Truth be told. It left me missing my old Dana Designs pack. It was made of 1000 count cordura and was bullet proof. I hauled that thing all over the world without a problem. I beat the hell out of it and it kept on keeping on until one day when some prick stole it out of the back of a moving pick up truck. I would still have that thing today otherwise. Thanks for the effort you put into this and a little heartfelt trip down memory lane.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Mike,

Fantastic thread! I echo what you have written here, and as a former U.S. Army man myself, it cannot be understated that one needs to practice survival skills before an event occurs that forces you to react. I have split my survival kit into an EDC / Get Home bag, a bug out bag (19lbs only), and two large storage containers with provisions to throw in the FJ in addition to those two. My wife also has an EDC bag and bug out bag of her own, with duplicates of supplies. I love the old Army adage of "Two is one, one is none", and things like fire I have waterproof matches, a waterproof fire starter, and a Fresnel lens magnifier. Water purification, I have a Sawyer filter with bag, purification tablets, and cookware to boil. But as stated before, you must practice on your skills, mental state, and physical fitness, as truly your mind and body are the two best tools you have when the SHTF. I bought the FJ to serve the purpose of getting out of dodge, where there are no roads, and I am focusing on getting the FJ truly ready for this as well (new lower links, armor, etc.), but one has to know that ditching the vehicle may be necessary based upon circumstances.

Thanks again!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts