Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I eventually plan to go to a Toytec Ultimate 3" lift and 33's, but not looking to do so in the immediate future. However, I'm getting very tired of the stock stance on my FJ, and would like to level it out, giving me a little more clearnace and better approach angle, and to get rid of the mall-crawler stance. A friend had a very good suggestion, that would do just that for little money, a little work, and some wrench time.

What are you guys thoughts on going with the Toytec/Eibach front coils? I checked the website, and they're only $149, and would give me 1.6" of lift in the front over the stock coils. This is my daily driver, and I don't really do much offroading, but enough that I'm not a huge fan of spacer lifts and want something that will give me more functionality. I figured this would allow me to get rid of the stock front droop, level it out, and give me a tad more clearance, until I decide to do a full on lift and tires. The previous owner just put tires on before I got it, and I'm not a huge fan of throwing away good rubber, so I'll probably hold off until it needs tires, then do everything in one shot...........and likely end up doing skids, rear links, ORA link mount/shock skids, and maybe bumpers before I'm able to stop! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I think that would be a good option and as you stated, better than a spacer lift. Since yours is an 2008, I would think about replacing the shock while you are at it. Maybe a Bilstein 5100, this would improve damping over factory also.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
You need to consider a few things as well. Each time you toy with the front suspension figure $200. I know Firestone offers lifetime alignment, could it be that they may not get it right the first time and you need to bring it back. Think about what your time is worth and factor that in. Getting it done right the first time may actually save money.

2. Wait and see how you want to use this vehicle. Stock it'll run most anything. Save you money and look through the forum at what other people have. Send PM if you need to, to ask questions. Meet us on the trail and drive our rigs and compare. Once you've made a decision, follow the detailed online instructions for the install and save another $3-400.

3. I did the ICON stage 1 with help from this group on a Saturday garage build. 2 weeks later had the alignment and coil over ride height adjusted so the distance to the bottom of each fender lip is 99cm from ground. That was 2 inch coil over gap on the right and 1 1/4" on the left. I have noticed the right side in now at 100.5mm so I'll need to adjust again. Adjust in another 5k

Save the beer money, wait a few months, ask questions, drive other rigs and then pull the trigger. Also you'll need to consider what tires you want on. Stock and the lift does look a bit odd, but works. You could try to sell them sooner and get 33's new or used. So during the time your driving to burn the rubber down, meet us out there and take a look at your options.

When you want to do the fronts check out Mousetrap's write up and let me know. :cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
I agree with olygold.
Hold the money, do more research, test ours on trails to feel the difference in ride between the various types of lifts, etc, and just do it right when the time comes.

Though... the lifetime alignment at Firestone has been good to me for sure. Mine was way out of whack, and they put it right with one appointment.

Yes, you may have to go back, but who's gonna be more capable than them? If it's hard to align, then you'd have to go back to wherever else anyway ...and then you'd pay again...at least with Firestone you just pay once.....and I plan on bringing mine in to have it checked after any major offroading events or whatever....ya never know.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Make sure you pull the $60 off coupon and ask what experience they have with a lifted vehicles and FJ's.
I took mine down to Paddock off 6th & Sante Fe. I wanted to get the ride height adjustment correct and Rod down there has a bunch of experience with coilover lifted suspension. Be sure to back off the torque on the lower control arms and retorque under load. Puts less stress on the bushings. I hadn't thought about that after the install.
With the Big Horn tires 285/70/17 got 4 inches lift off of stock tires and stock ride height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts