Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at this thread that talks about where to begin with mods: Where to Begin with Mods - The FJX2000 List

I purchase some excellent rock sliders a couple years back from White Knuckle and love them.

Next I want to look at a 3 inch lift so naturally i checked out this thread on lifts: The NEW Complete Lift Listing and Comparison...

I know that I want a Full Adjustable Suspension. The OEU and Bilstein’s not being completely adjustable makes me want to skip over those. Other than that though, I just don’t know which I should go for next. I don’t do much off roading, just the occasional fire road or while camping. To be honest, I just like the look so much better with the 3” lift. Money isn’t an issue, but I’m also not racing baja style so I don’t need the anything too crazy.

Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
730 Posts
Savage650,
I'm not being sarcastic but your next step should be "Pen and Paper". List your goals, then write a complete A to Z detailed build plan itemizing every required component. Research each component to determine manufacture and supplier. After the build plan is completed, order your parts then preform the build once all required components are in your possession. Having said that, you could do the Body Mount Chop and be done with it while continuing to format your build plan.

I personally would start by deciding what size tires you want to run then plan your suspension around the tire size. You'll need upper control arms so perform research to determine if your current wheels have the correct off-set to clear your choice of UCA's. Example: factory wheels will not provide enough tire clearance to run JBA and several other brand arms.

Struts that can be adjusted while on the vehicle are convenient but once you've set the ride height you'll most likely never adjust them again so don't discount struts that must be preset prior to installation. My previous suspension was a full stage Icon system. I regretted the purchase and was disappointed with the performance and ride quality. I now run a Bilstein system at slightly over 2.5 inches of lift. The Bilstein's meet all my requirements and provide better ride quality than what I experienced with the Icons.

If you're dead set on adjustable struts consider the Fox 2.5 diameter / non-reservoir up front and 2.0's with reservoirs in the rear. Bilstein offers several quality choices of rear springs depending on required height and weight added to the vehicle.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not being sarcastic but your next step should be "Pen and Paper". List your goals, then write a complete A to Z detailed build plan itemizing every required component. Research each component to determine manufacture and supplier. After the build plan is completed, order your parts then preform the build once all required components are in your possession.
So the manufacturer is the piece I'm looking for help with. I see the components required for each kit, but even when looking at the writeup I linked, there's not a lot in terms of personal experience. Like you said, you didn't care for the ride of the Icons. That's great info! I'll do more research on the individual components once I've settle on the manufacturer.

Knowing about Fox is good. Anyone have experience with Dobinsons, Eibach, Elka, or Fabtech?

This quote from the linked post makes me nervous about the Bilsteins. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I don't want to suddenly hate the angle of my rig. It's my daily driver.
"the Bilstein 5100 lift has limited adjustibility. (Meaning if you installed the lift, and the front of your FJ was sitting a little too high, there would be no way of "fine tuning" the lift to get it level.)"

I want to run 33" tires, and I understand I'll need to do the BMC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.