Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Suspension Overhaul

9K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Sanderhawk 
#1 ·
I've got a 07 with about 215k miles and I'm contemplating doing a "suspension refresh."

I've already replaced the front struts and rear shocks.

Don't know what has been done to the vehicle in the past, and haven't done a deep dive to determine what, if anything is worn or needing replacing.

No evidence of wrecks and the FJ drives and brakes straight and true, it just feels a little "loose."

When I tally the cost of all of the suspension bushings that are replaceable, front and rear, I'm looking at nearly $1,500.00 if purchased from Toyota, and that doesn't solve front upper and lower ball joints, which appear to be serviced as part of the control arms, not separately.

Of course, not everything I've identified necessarily needs replacing, but I'm looking at worst case scenarios here.

I need to retain stock ride height.

I've done a bit of googling and I'm overwhelmed with the options presented.

So - here's the question - where do I go to spend my money where I'll get at least as good a part as OEM?

I expect that OEM parts will give me OEM driving quality, but sometimes aftermarket improves on things and is actually cheaper. I'm not looking to cheap-out on this effort - it will be a lot of work and I don't want to waste money on substandard parts.

Suggestions welcome and thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Money is no object and better than OEM?

King OE length coilovers - $1,800.45
Total Chaos stock length lower control arms - $1,679.59
Total Chaos control arm cam tab gussets - $89.30
Icon Tubular upper control arms w/ *NEW* Delta Joint - $839.95
Icon VS 2.0 rear shocks *stock length* - $159.95
RESZ Fab link set rear *poly* - $634.95

But of course that's stupid for just keeping a stock height rig and looking for OEM drive-ability. Just by the OE parts and call it a day. If you're looking for a little less of a loose feel swap all your rubber suspension bushings out for poly. Energy Suspension has an entire OE fit kit in poly for $231.30 and has lifetime warranty on the bushings. For everything else, Toyota OE is pretty reliable and rides pretty good for a stock height FJ. :cheers:

#3 · (Edited)
I agree with Strangerranger on the energy suspension poly bushing kit for sure. I would suggest you consider replacing/rebuilding your UCAs as well. If your going to replace them I would not stay OE. The Icons mentioned are fantastic for sure but you can find others for a stock height for less than the ICONS and about the came price as OE. Check you rear shocks. Bushings, shocks if needed and I bet you will be happy.

If you ever want to lift your truck though now is the time to do it. Everybody has their preference but I love the handling of my truck way more now than before I lifted it in 07.

Best of luck

#4 ·
Its not hard to find decent quality aftermarket parts. If you want something cheaper than OE stick to companies like MOOG etc... the term "loosenes" you use to describe is hard to pinpoint but also replace the tie rod ends.

The upper control arm ball joints I'm pretty sure are replaceable on the early model FJ's. Do some more searching. Also consider that any prices you can get by walking into a dealership are usually inflated. Alot of dealers operate online parts websites so you can shop around and find competitive deals. I've had good luck buying OEM parts from places like:

https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/
https://parts.olathetoyota.com/

If you want it to last another 200k miles you don't want to throw anything fancy on from Icon, King, Fox, etc... You will need to get those rebuilt every 50k they just don't last. Shocks, UCA's, lower links etc... Its not worth it if your not using them offroad. Buy standard stuff.

Keep searching the forum!

#5 ·
"When I tally the cost of all of the suspension bushings that are replaceable, front and rear, I'm looking at nearly $1,500.00 if purchased from Toyota, and that doesn't solve front upper and lower ball joints, which appear to be serviced as part of the control arms, not separately."

Wbrian, Something doesn't add up. I was bored today and your $1500 expenditures was on my mind. As previously stated in the post you can get a complete bushing sets for under three hundred. Even replacing, not rebuilding the UCAs with Moog replacements at 150 each I cant imagine you are going to be near the $1500. I do not buy from dealerships. I have found you can get OE or higher quality from many suppliers for way less. Others will argue that point is false but have them prove to you that buying the same part from the dealer I can get in many cases from the same manufactured for a fraction of the cost is somehow better.

Consider going to a site like Rock auto or other, run through their entire suspension/steering catalog and pick OE or higher equivalent parts and then compare to your dealer list.

Id hate to see you cost your self more than you need for the same stuff. Good luck!

#6 ·
You could look for someone's lightly used Trail Teams suspension, that will retain stock height, ride quality, longevity, etc.

Reactions: FatJohnson
#7 ·
That's what I did for the time being. I bought a set of Toyota/Bilstein front shocks from a 2014 TT FJ for $100CDN, and swapped out the springs on the stock coilovers. The shocks had less the 300km on them. It made a huge difference in the ride..I'm blown away at how good the ride is( and I was always happy with the ride before..I didn't expect that much improvement ). Did the same for the rear as well.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I'm currently buying/stocking parts to do the same for my 07 TRD with 130k miles. So far I have new Bilstein shocks PTR1335100 and top hats, rear struts and rear sway bars links. I've already replaced the front sway bar bushings (HUGE difference). Planning on buying OEM upper and lower control arms rather than swap out the bushings. I haven't bought springs yet and I'm not sure if I need to. Is there anything I'm missing? The goal is to completely refresh the suspension as I plan on daily driving this thing until it doesn't move anymore. Plus I want to replace it all in one shot while everything is taken apart.

FJ is mainly a daily driver with very little trail use and I want it to be mostly stock. Plus I need to get my ac evaporator replaced this spring and that's kind of a nightmare.

#9 ·
Mevotech components from RockAuto - just rebuilt my front end with them. Everything fits right and tight. I still have the OEM lower control arms and will be rebuilding them this summer.

Reactions: FJQue
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.