Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealership has told me that I need $1500 for a front strut Kit. This seemed a bit excessive, so I thought I would do some research first. I can't find exactly what they have on the invoice, so I posted a pic but not sure if you can see what they are talking about. I have been considering a six in lift and hoping that would have a front strut kit and solve my problem. any assistance would be grateful. Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
You just need two front struts? People are usually selling these for less than 50 bucks on here for them, sometimes giving them away. For a base 6" lift you re use the front struts with a large spacer.

You can buy a top of the line 3" lift for less than a base 6" lift. (with fully adjustable front coilovers and high end rear shocks and springs) It will ride infinitely better and you can run 35s with a 3" lift.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
it sounds like its part of a fab tech lift kit but that price is ridiculous. You can get a full ome or Toytec lift for $1000 or so... I assume if the dealer is being honest (doubt it) you just need new shocks? Was there an accident that caused reason for repair?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No accident. I use my FJ off road regularly so I was told both my front struts were leaking. They told me I needed to buy the whole kit to fix this issue. Seemed crazy for sure.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
No accident. I use my FJ off road regularly so I was told both my front struts were leaking. They told me I needed to buy the whole kit to fix this issue. Seemed crazy for sure.
If your front struts/shocks are leaking, you just need to replace those alone. From the dealership they might be expensive. You can find them on here with less than a 1000 miles for dirt cheap.
You can reuse the spring and top cap, which they are probably trying to charge you for. That also probably includes install which they are also trying to rip you off on for labor hours.

I would make them show you how they know they are busted. You should have oil leaking out of them if they can visually tell if they are toast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did check it out and they are leaking. I will see what I can find. I'm thinking a lift would be perfect at this time. I think a 3" lift will be nice. What brand were you talking about in the earlier post?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a ToyTec Ultimate 3" lift which I love. The advantage of the ICON is (I think) that the height can be adjusted without removing the wheel.

But I opted for the ToyTec because it's $400 cheaper, which I put towards $400 Light Racing UCA's. I also thought the red coils were prettier.

Tons of people on this forum are happy with both kits though. Either way you aren't making a bad choice.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
The OME I mentioned is Old Man Emu and a lot of guys on here run that too. I think the OME is more like 2.5 inches. I'm trying to decide myself; I just have a 3 inch spacer kit on stock suspension. For $100, it lifts my truck exactly the same stance as my buddy's FJ with a Toytec lift so it is functional for the low $$$$ for sure:) I do want a real lift though;)

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
UCA are not necessary, but they do have benefits. If you crank the front coilovers up very high you can still have your truck aligned, but it will be on the outer edges of factory specs. Aftermarket UCAs allow you to get the alignment numbers back to factory. If you keep the lift around 2.5" in the front you will be alright with stock UCAs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts