Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo

2008 FJ Cruiser Base AKA No Lockers (sadly)

My plan is to make it into a weekend camping warrior and also as an adventure car. So basically light Overlanding I guess? Not at all going to be driving over boulders. I have no clue what suspension came on it originally and was thinking of going OME but I've heard that I don't need it. I don't think I'd be carrying anything more than an extra battery, cooler, RTT, Rack, Steel bumper, and MAYBE an air compressor and ARB locker (if I need it, I don't know if I do....)

Does anyone have any recommendations for suspension?

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
The one thing that would help us guide you down a road would be:

What is your budget?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,762 Posts
Actually sounds like a fair amount of weight :wink A mild lift would definitely help you carry it all plus passengers in comfort. One option that many here do/have done is to give Toytec a call and just discuss options and prices. They’re a great company and sell a variety of brands, and will not pressure you. Also tell them you’re a Forum member for a discount :smile Feel free to post up specific options and ideas here for us to give real-life feedback on. GL!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
a budget is a good place to start. then ignore! hahahahahahaha! so many shiny parts, so little time & money....

·
Registered
89 Posts
DIY or pay a shop to do it? That right there makes a huge difference in MY opinion. I tend to think the folks that typically say “buy once, cry once” fall into two groups. One pays a shop to order and to install things for them, so it is a fairly substantial additional cost to swap things around, make tweaks to ride heights, etc. Group Two has come to the conclusion by trial and error and have found that just right bowl of porridge and a nap, so ya, what they have is great.

I say start as simple as possible and build from there. Replace and upgrade when the equipment is falling short in X scenario, doomsday prepping is great, but the list never ends.

Or, buy once cry once and hopefully someone else’s opinion on what is best for your intended usage meets yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
76 Posts
"Buy once, cry once" for me meant buying the best suspension I could budget (and perhaps just a tiny bit over but its all good), and absolutely not thinking in terms of "phases" or "add it later if I need it".

For instance, installing control arms when I was installing my lift meant I won't be in there again to put arms in again, won't have to worry about tracking and other driveability issues, and won't need to pay more than once for an alignment. That right there saved me extra time, issues with driving my truck anywhere including a long highway drive, and extra money.

So, if you are thinking suspension, just think about how you'd really like it, and buy that. Don't buy in levels to eventually get there.

Its not the same thinking as you might have with, say, offroad accessories. I could add a front bumper, add a rear bumper, and sliders all separately and be pretty happy with the result each step.

edit: As long as the suspension isn't trashed from rust, you can DIY this. I did it with some floor jacks, the OEM bottle jack (to push on the axle a tad), some basic sockets, wrenches, breaker bars, vice grips, and sweat equity. I used zero special tools, and came out on the other end just fine. Tired, but fine. A shop wanted $800+ to install it, and it took just me and those basic tools about 8 hours total. If I had a lift and proper tools, I would have been able to cut that in 1/2 or less.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That’s a good point about UCA’s, especially if you don’t DIY, do them at the same time OR buy a lifetime alignment for $2xx if you have a good Firestone in the vicinity and not worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
76 Posts
That’s a good point about UCA’s, especially if you don’t DIY, do them at the same time OR buy a lifetime alignment for $2xx if you have a good Firestone in the vicinity and not worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm pretty sure you knew this but lifetime alignment contracts are instantly voided when you install suspension parts, unless the shop themselves does the work. If they want to break their own policy as a national chain, that's on them. This lets them keep you as a customer for front end/suspension work, because like any lifetime warranty, it is of the "Limited" variety.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm pretty sure you knew this but lifetime alignment contracts are instantly voided when you install suspension parts, unless the shop themselves does the work. If they want to break their own policy as a national chain, that's on them. This lets them keep you as a customer for front end/suspension work, because like any lifetime warranty, it is of the "Limited" variety.
I had not had this experience, I suppose YMMV and *always tip your mechanic and know them by name

·
Registered
743 Posts
Actually sounds like a fair amount of weight :wink A mild lift would definitely help you carry it all plus passengers in comfort. One option that many here do/have done is to give Toytec a call and just discuss options and prices. They’re a great company and sell a variety of brands, and will not pressure you. Also tell them you’re a Forum member for a discount :smile Feel free to post up specific options and ideas here for us to give real-life feedback on. GL!
I agree with Deb, sounds like you're adding some decent weight. You would be best off with a 2.5" shock front and rear. This puts you into the mid range of available suspensions. I'm definitely in the "buy once cry once" crowd on this, I would overlook the entry level 2" shock stuff and go straight for the 2.5" goods from King, Fox, or Icon.

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
...always tip your mechanic and know them by name
Unless you are completely annoying and we can't stand to be around you, bring us BEER!!! That always breaks the ice. :cheers:

Oh, and don't call Technicians 'mechanics', they have years upon years of training and service. :grin

·
Registered
28 Posts
OME is a great suspension purchase! Super reasonably priced and the ride on and off-road is really good! If your not going to be off-roading hardcore than you don’t need anything more expensive.

I live in Colorado and have taken my FJ on some very rough trails and it has pulled through. I don’t high speed off road and I like more of the slow and methodical obstacle climbing. My OME suspension has been great. Only $1000.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I live by "If the screws are on the outside, they want you to take it apart." outlook on life, so I'd say do it yourself. Even if you have no idea what you are doing, worst case is you learn how to do something for next time.

Well, worst case is you drop an axle on your shin, no one notices and you die of thirst after days and days of swelling and bleeding and yelling yourself hoarse and your forehead is swollen from all of the cactus spines because when you passed out the first time you fell face first on the cactus you inexplicably keep next to the FJ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my stock 2008 FJ from Florida through Central America and South America to UshuaiaI and then up to Uruguay to ship home. I did not need anything. Any equipment you add can cause problems. Keep your weight light. I had a rooftop tent too, and loved it.

I did lots of crazy roads. But, you might have to walk out to get help if you break down. Only problem I had was the tube for the automatic transmission fluid got a hole, but I had one made locally. Toyota has great dealerships in the large cities, and I did take it there for service.

FJ is a great car for this trip If not overloaded. I put things in plastic containers or big Rubbermaid tubs stacked up in back. Then bags for miscellaneous stuff.

Ask any questions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts