Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm Mud-flap... I'm pretty new to the forum... I have read a lot of great threads on here and decided to take someone's advice and post my question/problem on here in hopes of finding out what might be the problem w/my rig... I have an 07' TRD and recently have noticed a rattling sound coming from the front suspension area... I took off the skid plates to see if it was those, but it wasn't... So then I checked the exhaust and heat shields and nothing... Tightened all I could and nothing... Took it to a local dealer and they said it was the brakes not being properly set and that didn't correct it either... The suspension is stock (no money to do upgrades yet)... The rattle occurs when driving over washboard and manhole covers (examples), that have a depression to them, with speed... Upon investigation, I have noticed that the pushing down in rapid successions on the front bumper, that there is definitely a metal on metal sound... Could this be the problem area and not the suspension...? Has anyone else noticed or are experiencing something similar on there rig...?

Thanks for any advice,

Mud

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Hi Mud-Flap. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Hunting down strange noises can be frustrating. Now that you have found a way to reproduce the noise, you've already taken a big step in finding the issue. Check bolts. Check suspension for play. There's really no easy quick answer to your question except to isolate the problem. Does it make the sound on compression or rebound? Is it single clicking sound or does it rattle until the suspension settles?

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I fyou can reproduce the noise have some one get closer while you make the moise and see if they can isolate it. I doubt that it is this but you might want to check your swaybar links. They are tough to figure out is that at rest they can fell and act liek they are fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and I'll check the sway bar... That was my neck area for the dealer to check out... They have heard the noise and have deemed it for warranty so I'll keep taking it back till they figure it out...

Thanks,

Mud

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found out that it was coming from the brake calipers and pins... Toyota Co. replaced them and have not heard any rattle since... Hope that takes care of it...

Mud: cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts