If I were this guy I would...

• Replace the rear link as well.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 136,000 on my 07 (bought new and babied) and have kept it pretty much stock. I have always wanted to add a 3 inch lift but figured I would wait until I needed to. Well, after 136,000 miles my ride is spongy. So I have settled on the ProComp kit K5074B mostly because (and this might sound silly but I appreciate the attention to detail) it includes a .25 inch spacer on the driver side front to correct the "FJ Lean". I have read that it is best to replace the UCAs with aftermarket as well and may as well as I am under there. I don't do any serious off-roading but I do some occasional towing (about once a year on the highway). I'm looking for practicality as a daily driver on paved roads not conquering the Rubicon. However, like everyone, I hate doing things twice. So my questions are:

Is it really necessary to upgrade the UCAs for a 3 inch lift when not doing any serious off-roading?

Will aftermarket 2007 Taco UCAs fit a 2007 FJ?

Any affordable brands of UCAs that will accommodate the lift and not break the bank that you would recommend?

If you have done suspension work in the past what do you wish you had done that you did not?

While I am under there what else should I replace?

Thanks for your help.

Mods: Rock Rails, Stickers

Repairs: Alternator, cat converters, front and rear break pads and front disks, OME rear diff (yeah burned it out towing stuff, my bad), right rear CV, a while lotta black plastic bits and pieces on the exterior.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, that was so long ago, I'd have to dig up the paperwork. I do remember this was the model that was just under the super-awesome premium model that had a wolfer kickbox in the cargo compartment, an alarm system, and (if I remember correctly) fog lights. It was right around 28,500 at full MSRP. Yes, I paid full MSRP at the time 'cuz I had to have it and had to have it in Voodoo Blue!

·
Desert Moderator
7,131 Posts
Stick with FJ specific parts.
Ask yourself - why are you lifting it? Do you NEED 3" or will 2" be fine with some bigger tires to give it that extra inch?
If you're going for 2"/50mm lift, and going no larger than 285/70R17 tires, then the stock UCA is fine.
If you're going to crank the lift up to the max just because you can, your ride is going to suck.
Get some adjustable suspension and you don't need any shims to preload for the driver side lean.
You don't need to spend massive $ to get decent suspension, but keep in mind what you're doing it for - don't put constant load springs in it if you're towing once a year.

Also - There's no CVs in the rear, so whatever that was, it wasn't a CV.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise. Yeah, no cvs ( one too many adult beverages ), blew out the rear dif seal more than i'd like to admit. But when duty calls...you do what you have to do. Anyway, I did settle on the pro comp kit. And really, the only reason why I am going to lift is because I like the way it looks. And, while I no longer live in Iowa where I traveled gravel roads daily, I may someday go off-road again. But, all this will have to wait because my rear gas tank strap just committed suicide so that is first on my list. Oh, the joys of owning an 11 year old vehicle!

Reactions: amaclach

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did not go with the pro comp kit after all. I went with the skyjacker 3 inch monotube lift as I got a great deal on 4wheelonline and there is a rebate on the rear shocks. got a driver side .25 inch spacer and front and rear links on ebay New coil over mounts from partsgeek arrived next day.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Did not go with the pro comp kit after all. I went with the skyjacker 3 inch monotube lift as I got a great deal on 4wheelonline and there is a rebate on the rear shocks. got a driver side .25 inch spacer and front and rear links on ebay New coil over mounts from partsgeek arrived next day.
Not sure if you are still looking for UCA but someone discovered that the mevotech uca from rockauto are the same as the spc ones but couple hundred dollars cheaper

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure if you are still looking for UCA but someone discovered that the mevotech uca from rockauto are the same as the spc ones but couple hundred dollars cheaper
Hey, Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out. Wanna do as much as I can and the bank account will allow while I'm under there...
FedEx says the lift kit arrives tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Reactions: Loganbeere

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Please post before and after pics. :bouncy:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I saw you bought a kit. Maybe this is for other people.

We had about 110K on our 2007, and I thought it time to replace shocks and struts. While at it, I replaced an old spacer lift kit with an OME 3-inch lift.

It feels a little stiffer, with a rougher ride on smooth pavement. It rides A LOT better on serious off-road, better than the old spacer lift or stock. It does seem like it has softened a bit on-road after about 1500 miles.

If we didn't ride so much off-road, I would not have the lift. Ride stability is carefully engineered, and a lift is going to compromise that some. The FJ in stock form is a bit squirrely when towing, compared to my Tundra, moreso with the lift. I have to have a VERY GOOD reason to choose the FJ over the Tundra when towing.

Stock UCAs. For off-roading, I do carry a spare rear lower control arm, having heard that a broken one is a bad scene.

Matt B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts