Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my SAW hybrid kit from Mark at Metal Tech and I am quite excited. I researched this purchase till my head was spinning and I cant wait to get it on my FJ. I am getting the SAW coil overs with SAW rear springs and OME rear shocks, I just couldnt justify the high dollar rear shocks.

The guys at Metal Tech are going to preset the coil overs to properly support my ARB bumper. Should be a simple bolt in procedure.....famous last words.

Happy Birthday to me!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
cool, Can you , when you get the kit maybe take a step by step of pics and maybe give some small detail of benifits, pros cons.. keep us updated metal tech seems to have their act together imo

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
You wont be sorry. I love mine. Went for a run this weekend on some pretty rough forestry roads and the SAW/Hybryd setup soaked up some majour potholes and took the washboard's in full stride. This is the first chance for me to run the FJ like this and I was really impressed.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cool, can't wait to see them mounted up on your FJ!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I will try and take some pics when they get here as well as during install. Mark from Metal Tech is top notch! They asked me what I am running on the front of my FJ so they can pre set the coil overs for me. They have also written their own instructions that he is supposed to email me pre shipment, they didnt like the factory instruction. I will post them here when I get em.

I was convinced that the SAWs were the way to go when Mark let me drive his shop FJ, you may know the one, it is orange and now has tube doors. The fact is SAW has been in business for 20 years and makes shocks for quite a few companies. The coilovers for the FJ are FJ specific with a 700lb coil. This means less adjustment is needed for height and ride adjustments. If you look at pics of SAWs vs. others you will notice that SAWs dont appear to be cranked down as much to create the same ride height, thats because of the custom made spring that goes into every SAW coil over.

On top of that everything Metal Tech sells is made in the good old USA! They are a small shop that takes care of customers on a personal level, this makes a bid difference to me.

I would love to hear some more reviews.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the same set up and love it. You may want to look into upper control arms in the future. I went 5000 mile with out them, there is a huge differnce. Your gonna meet up with MrBigAxe on Monday right?

I will be in Corpus next Thursday, the 7th, to hook up with both of you from what I understand.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice pick up. I plan on getting the FJ this same set up as a Christmas gift :rocker:

Metal Tech is in Oregon and Mark along with L.T. are great guys. If I were you I would head over and have them install it.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep, see my post about the oops while installing the rear setup. I will post pics when I get the front installed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good luck on your install! Don't overlook grinding the sway bar. I found the driver's side to be the culprit in my install but the passenger's side was OK. I put the grinder to both sides for good measure. I am still convinced that the Camburg/SAW (or any other adjustable coilover for that matter) and OME rear hybrid is the best setup for the dollars. Put your money up front and save some dollars in the back. Everyone who runs this setup is very pleased with the outcome.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With some help from some forum member friends I installed the system this weekend and had it aligned yesterday, ride is awesome but you are correct, the sway bar is a small problem. In fact I have the sway bar off right now and it drives great. I am still grinding it to fit perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.