Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running a set of SAW 2.5 remote-reservoir COs for going on 2 years now and I have begun seeing more than a little rust taking hold on the resi cans and on the driver's side shock body (threaded area).

I live in the NW so there is snow and rain and probably some salt or chemical treatments in the winter but I can't help but wonder should these things be rusting? I thought the shocks were treated with something to prevent rust...?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rust troubles. Have you tried contacting the vender and Sway-Away for a solution? After two years it may simply be a discounted cost to rebuild but it's worth a try.

I had a similar issue but it occurred very quickly ( entire shock body in less than four weeks ). There are some pictures in my build towards the back, I'm at work or I'd link some photos in.

Anyway the resolution on mine was Metal-Tech loaning me their LT coils for a month while Sway-Away paid to have them shipped back and fixed at no charge.

·
Registered
937 Posts
There were some from about 4 yrs ago that were nickel plated, these rusted quickly. SAW switched back to their CAD plating process. There was a number of "New old stock" of them out there that you might have got. Unfortunately 2 yrs is one yr past their warranty on plating. The set of long travel SAW's that just came off our truck from the past three years here in the PNW have a few spots on them but nothing bad. However we have seen a few come out of areas that put sodium chloride down in the winter that look like they came out of a bay, yet others that look great from the same areas.

You can call them direct or contact your dealer you got them. I would start with your dealer, then work to SAW direct. This is where a good dealer in your corner might be able to get something worked out for you. .

If you think your area puts a lot of sodium chloride down, the best finish for this is the IVD coating that ICON offers. At the same time also put a spray on rust inhibitor on them during the winter and rinse them on a regular basis. (advice for any brand of coil over)

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts