Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still learning alot about offroading and i am wodering what is the purpose of a sway bar? And what would be some possible consequences of taking it completely off?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I am still learning alot about offroading and i am wodering what is the purpose of a sway bar? And what would be some possible consequences of taking it completely off?
Thanks
Main purpose is to control rocking while driving on the road. Without it, unless you have stiff coils, you will have a lot of body roll. Also, when off-road, it limits articulation. While this may sound bad, it is usually a good thing, since it keeps you from breaking anything. Without the swaybar (I think) you need to run limit straps to keep from over-extending your suspension.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I've ran my fj for years without the front and rear sway bars. The main purpose why we did it was so we weren't "tippy" rock crawling. We run Old Man Emu "heavy" shocks that seem to hold her up pretty well on dips when driving fast. You WILL go through your shocks faster though. It's a little different driving without the sways, but everyone seems to get use to it, that have taken them out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so when you say "werent tippy", do you mean it will make it less likely to roll over say if i have a 6" fabtech lift? because everything that makes it less likely to flip helps.
thanks

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
It let's your wheel's hang lower in a sense, keeping the tires touching the ground more frequently in bad spots vs tires in the air. I don't recommend anything higher than a 3" lift but that's purely my own opinion :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok well im pretty sure im going to do it. would you recommend doing it in the front only or front and rear?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would highly recommend you drive with it on when on road.

You have 35s and a 6inch lift. (which i am assuming you are running stock coilovers up front with the big spacer that all 6"lifts use, which are not stiff at all)
Have you driven a vehicle before without a sway bar to see what it is like?

The amount of flex you are going to gain offroad (very little) it not going to make it worth the increased chance of rolling.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I removed my sway bar some time ago...get used to how the truck handles on road and know it's limitations! The truck lifted with 35's will change the COG and therefore will not handle like it was engineered to...remove the swaybar with the 6" lift and 35's...take precautions...slower speeds into corners and maintain a better distance between traffic.

I have changed my coils to OME heavy and that helped a little with the body roll and loose affect...Best thing is to slow down speeds and don't drive aggressively...This is just common sense.

I have found, without the sway bar I have somewhat advantage in certain situations offroad in offcamber places...your suspension can drop down and articulate a little better with rubber on the ground....downside is at the exspense of maybe binding a CV
joint in that situation with your wheel clocked hard either direction...

·
Registered
627 Posts
As long as we are talking about sway bars, opinons on replacing the stock Toyota sway bar busings with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings?

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
As long as we are talking about sway bars, opinons on replacing the stock Toyota sway bar busings with Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings?

-FJ Florida-
The OEM bushings have never been a problem...
I'm sure the after market bushings couldn't hurt...But what are you going to gain? The real issue is the stock collar...failing and then damage occurs with the end link ripping the CV boots if it breaks... I would buy a collar to keep the stock pressed ones from failing...prevent the sway bar to slide side to side out of it's range of motion. This is the originating problem...IMPO

·
Registered
729 Posts
got the 6inch pro comp full coilovers not spacers and have no front sway bar its real tippy lots of body roll and you will need to change driving habits real good for somethings, real bad for other....

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
I still drive my truck like a race car. Just gotta brake into the turn and power out. Truck handles great w/o it IMO

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Aside from what Athena had said, one of the major difference with the sway off is it seems smoother on dirt roads. The truck pulls a little more side to side when I had the sways on. It takes getting use to with it off, but the trade off of handling is not enough to upset me. I'm a slow driver and take corners slowly in the FJ. Another benefit of no sway is you will never have to worry about the links coming loose and slicing the boot.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Honestly I drive up and down our mountains on i-70 everyday, never once was I worried on the curves without the sway bars. Just keep in mind, Toyota has them their for a purpose, without them something else is going to wear.. it's the price of playing :)

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I am curious... When I put on my SAW last month, their sway bar relocation mounts didn't fit due to the bolt pattern being different on my 2011 FJ. I did as suggested by MetalTech and ordered the ICON relocation kit, but that too has a different bolt pattern. My question therefore is: Is the sway bar bolt pattern new to the 2011? If so, does anyone sale the relocation kit specific to the 2011?

I did not want to run without the sway bar, but as stated above with the kits not lining up, I have no choice but to run without.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I am curious... When I put on my SAW last month, their sway bar relocation mounts didn't fit due to the bolt pattern being different on my 2011 FJ. I did as suggested by MetalTech and ordered the ICON relocation kit, but that too has a different bolt pattern. My question therefore is: Is the sway bar bolt pattern new to the 2011? If so, does anyone sale the relocation kit specific to the 2011?

I did not want to run without the sway bar, but as stated above with the kits not lining up, I have no choice but to run without.
I would strongly suggest starting a thread on this question as it maybe very sourceful and easier to look up searching wise :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I run without a front swaybar during the summer. Kept the rear in because I broke a rear shock by over extending it (Bilstein 5100 2+)

It really makes a difference on the trial.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts