Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve spent the better part of the morning searching the board for commercially available front swaybar disconnect links. All I came up with were old discussions that didn’t pan-out and a couple home-brewed units that looked pretty sketchy.
Do any of you have any current, 11/24/2016, information on who, what, and where we can buy a pair?
There was a thread that showed a system someone in Australia made that caught my eye. Unfortunately it appears as though they gave up on selling them. They were the sliding up and down type, held in place with a pin for on the road.
There was another that required cutting off one end of the swaybar; not at all interested in doing that.
If not a commercially available system, how about a tried and tested homemade set made from easily obtainable parts, with a list of resources so we can assemble our own?
As an important side note; removing my swaybars is definitely not an option. Road handing is also very important.

Any help you can throw our way would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Nothing to add but definitely subscribed as I'm looking for a decent solution for my front end. I concur with everything you've said. I removed my rear and am fine with that but not interested in removing the front. The front discos make one hell of a racket. I'd like to see a system that has some sort of rubber bushing incorporated to help dampen some.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Have you considered swapping on heavier coils? With the C springs from IronMan on my coilovers, it handles pretty much like the stock setup with the sway bar. If you want a home brew setup, I was working on a sliding setup for the rear that might work, but you'd have to make sure it won't contact the cv boots or anything. It's basically a long, partially threaded bolt and a heim joint that can slide on it with bushings to insulate. You have to drill a hole through the bolt for a pin to lock the heim in place for road driving, but that's about as complex as it gets. You'd have to modify the design to work with the different mounts for the front end, though. Curious to see what you come up with.

·
トヨタ Master
7,970 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks like ok stuff, but the guy doesn't have any email or a website, and the only way you can get in touch with him is to become a member T4R.ORG

They look pretty solid to me. Definitely not a big business. But that doesn't mean it's not a solid product. Haven't bought any links personally. But I will when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
7,970 Posts
Thanks! They look like a strong unit. PM sent to him.
You oughtta PM him back and let him know how much business he's missing out on from all of us over here at FJC forums. :rocker:

·
トヨタ Master
7,970 Posts
Thanks! They look like a strong unit. PM sent to him.
I just realized that the Mrs. & I have been watching your YouTube videos for a while now. Very cool! Nice to "meet" you.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
These are the only disconnects available and are basically the same design as the ones that were made in Australia. This design is still susceptible to making noise, depending on manufacturing tolerances/materials, but they are proven to work.

Personally, the noise would drive me nuts.

I've thought about trying to fit the Jeep rubicon electronic swaybar disconnect to the FJ, but I don't think the dimensions will be close enough. I've been trying to find someone locally that will let me measure theirs, no luck yet.

I'd like to retrofit the Toyota KDSS, but there's just too many different parts needed that the cost would be outrageous.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are the only disconnects available and are basically the same design as the ones that were made in Australia. This design is still susceptible to making noise, depending on manufacturing tolerances/materials, but they are proven to work.

I've thought about trying to fit the Jeep rubicon electronic swaybar disconnect to the FJ, but I don't think the dimensions will be close enough. I've been trying to find someone locally that will let me measure theirs, no luck yet.

I'd like to retrofit the Toyota KDSS, but there's just too many different parts needed that the cost would be outrageous.
Do you think they'll make a lot of noise when connected while on the road, or mostly when disconnected?

·
トヨタ Master
7,970 Posts

Do you think they'll make a lot of noise when connected while on the road, or mostly when disconnected?
Turning this knob clockwise will completely eliminate that noise! >:D:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
By design, they're definitely going to make some noise, mostly when disconnected. How loud or annoying will it be, I can't say, might not be too noticeable unless your windows are down and radio is off, or might be audible going over anything not flat/smooth.

This also depends on how sensitive your hearing is, and whether noises drive you nuts.

The volume knob works to a point, a point of failure, whenever you have metal on metal contact to where you can hear it, it's usually never good, something is wearing out, meaning if it makes noise from the beginning, it's only going to get worse

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
G'day,
I've been running the Aussie Built Disco's for a few years now...
They do not make any noise when pinned for hwy use, you will not even know they are disco's.
Off road and open yes they do make a bit of noise, but considering what you are doing, flexing your rig etc, and concentrating on your line, CB chatter ..etc... you will soon not hear them clunk. They only really clunk at full articulation when you stuff a wheel into the arch and drop the other wheel into a hole .... and thats exactly why you use them. :rofl:
The additional articulation they afford, in keeping 4 feet on the ground, really does change the ride significantly ...as anyone running without a SB will attest to.
One of the best mods an IFS vehicle can have ..in my opinion.

They do require maintenance, a few drop of TriFlow lube regularly - helps... and check that the bolts remain tight on the spindle and SB.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
G'day,
I've been running the Aussie Built Disco's for a few years now...
They do not make any noise when pinned for hwy use, you will not even know they are disco's.
Off road and open yes they do make a bit of noise, but considering what you are doing, flexing your rig etc, and concentrating on your line, CB chatter ..etc... you will soon not hear them clunk. They only really clunk at full articulation when you stuff a wheel into the arch and drop the other wheel into a hole .... and thats exactly why you use them. :rofl:
The additional articulation they afford, in keeping 4 feet on the ground, really does change the ride significantly ...as anyone running without a SB will attest to.
One of the best mods an IFS vehicle can have ..in my opinion.

They do require maintenance, a few drop of TriFlow lube regularly - helps... and check that the bolts remain tight on the spindle and SB.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:
Thanks Baz!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They're a game changer and worth the hunt! Now I'm trying to figure out if I can fit spindle gussets in next to them...
I'd be very interested in gussets fitting as they are on our future mods short list. I suppose anything can fit after a little grinding and bending. :)
A question for ya; how easy is it to line up the pins and holes after wheeling, does being on level ground and a little shaking do it?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,143 Posts
I'd be very interested in gussets fitting as they are on our future mods short list. I suppose anything can fit after a little grinding and bending. :)
A question for ya; how easy is it to line up the pins and holes after wheeling, does being on level ground and a little shaking do it?
I will know in the next couple days about compatibility of discos and gussets - and will post up. As for lining up the holes after wheeling it's always no problem - on drivers side. Passenger side requires careful wheel placement - I have a designated spot at home lol Basically trial n error but not too much of a PITA.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts