Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new beadlock wheels from Poison Spyder Customs so I have to sport some new decals. I've been playing around with the hood blackout idea when I saw this. I think it is bad ass to the bone. Obviously you won't want one if you aren't using their products, but it sure does look cool.

I love it!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Reminds me of the old firebirds , you gonna stick it on? t would look cool on the roof too

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Not much of a "blackout", but looks cool. :)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how could I stick it on the roof? Too much stuff up there and you wouldn't see it under my basket and gear. I know it isn't for everyone, but I'm a sticker fiend so I'm diggin it. I think it will look much better when it is actually on and all that white is not there.

Yes I'm gonna stick it on, but I need help. This is my second one.... i totally screwed up the first one and it ended up in the trash. :mecry:

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Yes I'm gonna stick it on, but I need help. This is my second one.... i totally screwed up the first one and it ended up in the trash. :mecry:
I put one of those Firebird decals on one of my restored Trans Ams many years ago. Use lots and lots of soapy water. Get it where ya want it and squeegy the water out and let it dry. Good luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think it looks pretty cool and you should just mount it on the hood. :Looks like ya sponsor other 4x4 shops already on your fairing and windshield..at least this one is more of a graphic then a name plastered on your hood.
Just a thought.....:bandit:

·
Registered
308 Posts
how could I stick it on the roof? Too much stuff up there and you wouldn't see it under my basket and gear. I know it isn't for everyone, but I'm a sticker fiend so I'm diggin it. I think it will look much better when it is actually on and all that white is not there.

Hey how about a photo or two of those beadlocks? :bandit:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm having them mounted and balanced in the morning, but here are a couple shots of the them unmounted. I haven't decided if I'm going to stagger or line up the bead ring.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Those spider stickers look Bad @ss on the FJ, even better than on the Heeps!:rocker:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not much of a "blackout", but looks cool. :)
Uuhh, yeah - cool sticker/logo indeed, but I'm missing the "blackout" on this as well

?

A.W.D.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I say DO IT! A sticker that big has got to give you at least an extra 15HP, plus give you 2-3mpg extra!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I say DO IT! A sticker that big has got to give you at least an extra 15HP, plus give you 2-3mpg extra!
Amen on the 15HP.

There are a lot of ways to apply big decals but the following has worked for me for a very long time with some really big stuff. Very accurate placement for small ones too.

The trick is to get it in the perfect position and tack it down well. Peel back half the decal and cut the backing paper off with scissors. Don't scratch your hood while doing this.

I use Windex instead of soapy water. It seemed to dry faster for me and not leave any residue.

Be sure to use the plastic applicator squeegee not a rubber window squeegee.

Apply in the shade or garage, warm but not too hot. Hood surface should be cool to the touch. Of course make sure your hood is absolutely clean.

Use 3M Blue Painters Masking Tape (no glue left on surfaces).

Measure, measure, tack it down with tape on all corners. Measure and measure again to make sure its square on the hood.

Now run a piece of masking tape all the way across in the middle of the decal extending past the edge 4 or 5 inches. Now run another piece all the way across right next to it so there are 2 pieces across the middle.

Decide which half you are going to apply first and tack the edges down of the other half every 6 inches with a small piece of masking tape.

Now get ready to apply. Fold back the decal to the tape in the middle. Separate the wax backer and remove it with scissors. You don't have to cut right up to the masking tape, leave yourself a few inches. Make it easy on yourself. Sometimes a piece of cardboard underneath makes it easy to not scratch the finished surface below. Next spray the decal liberally with windex and spray the hood. Get it wet. Get it really wet.

Now pick up the decal and start to roll it in place. Use the squeegee as you go from the middle to the outer edge. Don't be afraid to use the squeegee.
I usually keep a couple terry towels around to soak up the runoff.

Now that half is done, remove all of your tape, flip back the other side and remove the rest of the backer and repeat the process.

Once it is down completely remove your over layer material and viola, you're done. It will be dry enough to run down the interstate in an hour or two. Really dry and adhesive bonded correctly after a couple of days depending on temperature. I'd still try to keep it out of direct sunlight for a couple of hours.

That really is a bad a** decal. :cool:

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so it was a bad choice of thread title. Have a mod delete the word blackout. I can't seem to do it.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know about the windex deal. So you get the sticky part of the decal wet with windex and the hood surface? That doesn't ruin the adhesive? Interesting. Sounds like a pretty good method you have figured out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ok, so it was a bad choice of thread title. Have a mod delete the word blackout. I can't seem to do it.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know about the windex deal. So you get the sticky part of the decal wet with windex and the hood surface? That doesn't ruin the adhesive? Interesting. Sounds like a pretty good method you have figured out.
Nope, doesn't ruin it at all. Just keeps it from sticking anywhere until you want it to with the squeegee. Works great everytime.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm having them mounted and balanced in the morning, but here are a couple shots of the them unmounted. I haven't decided if I'm going to stagger or line up the bead ring.

Sweet rims! I totally dig the little spiders on them. Only thing I would say, and this might be me only, but I would have the tires mounted up with the white logos on the inside so it only shows blackwalls. Personally I think that would look VERY sweet! :bandit:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.