Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This morning, I went with my brother this morning to a trail about five minutes from my house. It's usually so wet that much of it is impassible to all but the most extreme mud trucks. Its been a few days since we had any real rain and the trail is drying out. We made it the almost 5 miles to the lake and then back out. The trip took about 4 hours and it was all fun. Then it took 5 hours to clean the rigs and thats just knocking the mud off. The real clean up happens tomorrow.

Sweetwater Trail Adventure | Facebook

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother's Jeep Wrangler has KM2 Mudders and lockers front and rear. Believe it or not, it does almost this well with street tires on it. Lockers make one heck of a difference. My next mod is an ARB locker in the front. My FJ has the factory electric locker in the rear and A-Trac. A-Trac helps some, especially if one front tire is completely off the ground. A-Trac is almost useless in a dynamic traction situation where both front tires are slipping, like in a steep, slippery hill climb or deep mud. I think a front locker will vastly improve my FJ's performance and is probaly the single most valuable mod I can make.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My FJ going through some mud with a Hero Cam mounted on the side. Sound quality sucks, but video is good.

·
Premium Member
16,936 Posts
Cool video's!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I like watching anything related to mudding! Cool videos for sure :rocker:

Next time out with bigger M/T and a front locker you would tear them mud holes up! :lol:

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some people go fast through the mud and I have in the past. The problem with going fast here is that these holes sometimes have stumps and logs in them. You've also got to worry about where somebody with 44" mudders and open diffs got stuck and left a giant hole.

This kind of situation demands slow and careful. You can always back out if can't make it. It's hard to back out when you've got an 8 foot log jammed in your drive train under 3 feet of muck.....expensive too.

Within 100 yards of that spot in my video, there is a dead Toyota Tundra that's been there for weeks. A half mile further is a dead Jeep Cherokee that's been there for months. Both have substantial drive train damage.

And finally, this Georgia clay is like wet concrete. If you hit it fast, it sprays up into every nook and cranny and you cannot get it out. It also permanently stains paint and especially the black plastic parts with orange mud stains. The less you pick up, the better.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Some people go fast through the mud and I have in the past. The problem with going fast here is that these holes sometimes have stumps and logs in them. You've also got to worry about where somebody with 44" mudders and open diffs got stuck and left a giant hole.

This kind of situation demands slow and careful. You can always back out if can't make it. It's hard to back out when you've got an 8 foot log jammed in your drive train under 3 feet of muck.....expensive too.

Within 100 yards of that spot in my video, there is a dead Toyota Tundra that's been there for weeks. A half mile further is a dead Jeep Cherokee that's been there for months. Both have substantial drive train damage.

And finally, this Georgia clay is like wet concrete. If you hit it fast, it sprays up into every nook and cranny and you cannot get it out. It also permanently stains paint and especially the black plastic parts with orange mud stains. The less you pick up, the better.
You hit it on a nail...Very true but humble advice!

I was fixin to ask you where these videos were filmed...that Georgia clay is friggen brutal to all Machines!

Your lucky to have not went berserk into a deep hole and have that silty clay muck ruin everything!

I would deffinately invest in a scuba mod and the sealed pullies...I would also seal your starter and get a snorkal if you intend to play in this kind of slop!

That has got to be the worst slop I have seen in quite sometime :bigthumb:

When you mention it dries like concrete...and stains plastic, I agree with you...Been there...Done That! :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice vids man!! I live in Dalton but I used to live in Cville. I have another buddy that also has an Fj and we've actually gone there and camped out by the lake. We did it this past Memorial Day wknd. My email is [email protected]. Hit me up next time you and your Bro are up for some wheeling.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably not going back out to Sweetwater. The Army Corps of Engineers cops almost gave $400 tickets to my brother and two other guys there on Sunday. Even though it is a marked road with a name and shown on the map as a county road, no vehicles are allowed. There are no barriers and no signs indicating that. It's ACE property and they don't want anyone on it.

Need to find other good trails without federal cops!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Man, that's crazy you said that cuz I was told not to camp there by some locals this past memorial day because of ACE, unfortunately, they told me around 1am once I was about to crash in my tent. Can't really say I paid much attention though. THANKS!!! for the advice. I definitely won't be going back. Thanks again!! I'll let you know if I find some other trails.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man, that's crazy you said that cuz I was told not to camp there by some locals this past memorial day because of ACE, unfortunately, they told me around 1am once I was about to crash in my tent. Can't really say I paid much attention though. THANKS!!! for the advice. I definitely won't be going back. Thanks again!! I'll let you know if I find some other trails.
I've been going north to the mountains in N GA and in North Carolina. Less mud, more trail, more good hill climbing. That equals fun without the 8-10 hours of washing mud out of every possible spot on and in the truck. And no ACE.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts