Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I installed a Kenwood DNX5120, along with the PAC Audio SWI-JACK steering wheel adapter in my FJ. It all played together nicely, until this past weekend. All of a sudden, the steering wheel controls stopped responding. I thought that one of the connections (which were sketchy at best) had probably pulled out. The next day, when I started up my vehicle, I was surprised to see that the controls worked again! I was relieved that I wouldn't have to tear into my dash again, but then, after about 10 minutes of working properly, it quit again. I thought it had to do with switching the car off then back on, but no dice. It wouldn't work at all. This week, it only seems to work if the car has been off overnight. It will work first thing in the morning, then shut off after about 10 minutes of proper operation.

My question, should I spend the time to tear it all out and see what is going on, or should I just chalk this up to a bad SWI-JACK unit and get another one? If I need to get it out and look, what are some things, other than disconnected wires, do I need to look for?

Side topic: The steering wheel connection on the Kenwood harness, does it require some special plug, or do you just plug the bare end of the wire down in there and tape really good? This was what I originally thought was the problem.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry about the length... :thinkerg:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now, for the thrilling conclusion...

I pulled out my radio this weekend, and I was able to confirm that the SWI-JACK was still getting a signal from the factory steering wheel controls, eliminating the possibility of a bad connection from the vehicle harness, and also the chance of a bad unit (whew...). This left the connection from the SWI-JACK to the radio harness as the most likely cause of the discrepancy. My very limited wiring experience led me to take the blue striped wire from the SWI-JACK, and insert the stripped end down into this strange plug on the Kenwood harness. The plug wasn't really described that well in any documentation, other than instructions to leave the little red cap in it if it is not in use.

My dad, who is much more experienced in the ways of electrical work, circuitry, wiring, etc. was able to tell me that I could either cut off the end of the plug and splice the two wires together, or use a female bullet plug to connect the two. I used one of the female bullet plugs, and it fit on the mysterious plug like a charm. I then attached the interface wire to the plug, and voila! the controls worked again. There's the answer if anyone else goes through a similar predicament.

As for why the controls would still work in the morning... not sure. Something to do with electrical properties at lower temperatures (insert boring Physics lecture that I likely slept through)... and that's about it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you got it working. Any pics of the DNX5120 installed in the FJ?

Yeah, I took pictures all through the installation process, including the final product at the end. I'll try to get them up soon. :king:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts