Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look closely, there is a switch blank on the side of both front seats. Does anyone know what they're for and if a stock Toyota switch would fit in that location? I assume it's from another Toyota with power seats or an eject button or something, but I'd like to be able to use that location for some other power feature. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
one of those is filled by the clutch start cancel switch on the 6MTs. The other is just a blank. Toyota switches will fit perfect.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I've got the 6MT and that's up by the steering wheel. The ones I'm referring to are actually on the side itself where the seat tilt adjustment is.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Seat heaters?

I just went out to the garage as I'd never seen anything like that before and for good reason, I don't have anything like you're talking.

Not sure if it could be because I have a 2010 or because it is AT, but I don't have it.

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
Got pics? I have a 2007 with MT6 and the driver's side seat side cover has an embossed outline that would fit a switch. For a quick check, you can pop out one the blank covers from the dash or center console and try to see if it would fit on the seat.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Obviously it's for the ejection button only equipped in the TRD Trail Teams SE Eddie Bauer Edition.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I tried to remove it and it doesn't seem to be an actual plug so I guess I'll take some measurements and see if there's room for a switch before I take a Dremel to it. Here's the picture and it looks the same on the passenger side. I would apologize for it being dirty, but to be honest, that's the cleanest it's been since I bought it.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
The 4runners have a power lumber switch right there. Not sure if that side panel is identical and its just left over from the mold of the 4Runner seat with that option.

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
That looks just like what I have on my DS seat. Toyota uses the same mold cavity with different inserts and plugs up the side covers for the FJC. The slider rail is ~1.25" behind the cover so a standard Toyota switch may not fit.
Well, I tried to remove it and it doesn't seem to be an actual plug so I guess I'll take some measurements and see if there's room for a switch before I take a Dremel to it. Here's the picture and it looks the same on the passenger side. I would apologize for it being dirty, but to be honest, that's the cleanest it's been since I bought it.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
44 Posts
so would it be possible or even compatible to make the drivers side seat power adjustable ? I'm thinking on buying a 2011 FJ, but I am paralyzed from waist down and have a folding chair, it would be nice to have the seat power forward at the very least to accomodate me getting my chair in as I have to have both legs hanging outside of vehicle and sitting sideways...it's tought to try to boost seat forward those couple inches to allow enough space to pull chair into back and have clearance for that.....any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
That looks just like what I have on my DS seat. Toyota uses the same mold cavity with different inserts and plugs up the side covers for the FJC. The slider rail is ~1.25" behind the cover so a standard Toyota switch may not fit.
Here is the inside picture of that cavity.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RHoppe,
As a guess, I'll bet you could bolt 4-Runner seats onto the FJ's slides/mounts and just provide the wiring as needed. So many Toyota vehicles use interchangable parts nowadays. I'm sure someone's tried it...

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
The OEM Off-road/AUX/Roof light switches are too long. I installed my backup and rock lights switch on Otrattw three position V-Series switch Holder. but I have to make the cut/mount it lower on the driver seat plastic cover.

Here is how I routed the wires.

The switch holder cutout is not perfect for the OEM switches. I have to modiy the switch holder to make the cutout a tad narrower and thicker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
2005 4Runner seat.
Thanks LAYONNN for the pic, I would think that would work if the slide rails and attach points line up wouldn't you ? Should be compatible ?
Thanks !!!!

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Thanks LAYONNN for the pic, I would think that would work if the slide rails and attach points line up wouldn't you ? Should be compatible ?
Thanks !!!!
Judging by the inside picture that NDA posted, it looks like it attaches via two opposite screws, this is a lot different than how the light switches (OEM) attach right there.

Just curious but what are you thinking of mounting there?

LandCruiserSteve does have a button that releases a shotgun, the button is also very hidden and only he knows about it. If you are thinking of building something like that, that wouldn't be the spot i would use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts