Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm new here, so not sure if i'm doing this right, but i noticed that most of my switch blanks have wiring harnesses connected to the and i was wondering if this is anything like adding an a trac witch to an fj with the rr diff lock. Mine is a 2012 used so, even though this would probably never happen, maybe my cruiser does have the rr diff lock and a trac, but the buttons were never added.
My fjc was listed with mud tires and some other off road accessories when i bought it, so i feel like the former owner would have spent the extra money for the rr diff lock.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep, Iconic nailed it (as usual lol) and to see if it's got a normal locker (like in Detroit / true trac) or limited slip just jack it up from the pumpkin, rotate a tire by hand. If it's locked up the other tire will turn the same direction as you turn it. If it doesn't turn or turns the opposite way, it's open.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Yep, Iconic nailed it (as usual lol) and to see if it's got a normal locker (like in Detroit / true trac) or limited slip just jack it up from the pumpkin, rotate a tire by hand. If it's locked up the other tire will turn the same direction as you turn it. If it doesn't turn or turns the opposite way, it's open.
Not quite accurate ... no FJ was ever factory equipped fitted with either a conventional wet-clutch "limited-slip" differential, or an Eaton Truetrac variable torque ratio differential.

FJ's were only fitted with open differentials, or with Toyota's E-locker, which simply locks both axle shafts together via an electric-motor driven actuator mounted externally on the front of the differential housing. No clutches, no helical gears, etc.

And the E-locker can only be actuated when the transfer case is in low range, so there is a little more involved than just jacking the rear wheels off the ground and spinning a tire.

Best way to see if you have a locking differential is just to take a quick look at the diff housing and see if the E-lock actuator is present.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not quite accurate ... no FJ was ever factory equipped fitted with either a conventional wet-clutch "limited-slip" differential, or an Eaton Truetrac variable torque ratio differential.
I'm not talking about from the factory. You could just look up the VIN for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts