Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, about to do a custom switch panel in the fj but I am trying to find different types of switch pieces than the normal rocker's. Here is a link to one that looks good but don't know if it will handle all the lights and everything. If you are good at this stuff, give some advice. If you know of something similar that will work instead, please let me know, I would just like to keep the clean look.
here is a link:
Onpow Illuminated Metal Pushbutton Switch (LAS1 GQF 11E RoHS Compliant)-China Electronic and Digital Products Wholesale Center.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
A switch is a switch, but the switch has very little to do with running the lights. All the switch will do is open circuit to relay, then relay powers lights.

I'm currently doing the same thing you are, and have learned enough to be dangerous, as a warning.

If you're going to utilize the relays provided with the lights, could literally replace that switch with any ( depends on lit with dash lights ) but in my opinion, it's a disaster, without a power distribution block. Also, I've learned, the OEM switches that are existing (atrac/rrdiff/and...) are not a simple switch. So far, even the best of them have yet to offer solution to replace the OEM's for sake of continuity.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
What are your ideas for switch panel?

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I am planning to place 8 of them under the vent left of steering wheel. So you are telling me that I can take one of these and just replace the one that came with the lights and it wont matter what the max load is?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
well, I am planning to place 8 of them under the vent left of steering wheel. So you are telling me that I can take one of these and just replace the one that came with the lights and it wont matter what the max load is?
Idea sounds cool. I'm contemplating a new switch panel, replacing the OEM switches (which has become a problem) in the lower console area. Wanting all the switches to match, and connect to spod device, or other power distribution. I like the guys at sPod, so will incorporate for the lighting and switches, working on trying to adapt OEM's to carling style rockers. Anyhow.

If using aftermarket lights, and simply replacing the switch on the provided wiring harness, I can't see how it would matter, since the switch merely connects to relay.

What lights are you using? Is that literally your intended install is to place these switches in the place of the provided harness?

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pretty much want to replace the push button switch that came with lights to the style above. I have 2 PIAA 510's and 6 PIAA 2100's. Got 2 PIAA 520's comming. plus rock lights and some other stuff to throw on these

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
pretty much want to replace the push button switch that came with lights to the style above. I have 2 PIAA 510's and 6 PIAA 2100's. Got 2 PIAA 520's comming. plus rock lights and some other stuff to throw on these
Have all the same, some mounted, not wired, rest in box at home. I'll pull the harness out, and look at specs, for my input, but hoping someone else chimes in, as well. My concern with using the harness provided is the wiring mess I think I'd wind up with. You may look at the sPod to see if you feel it'd be advantageous. They could easily answer your question about switch compatibility to their product as well.

Will post my thoughts on Piaa harness compatibility when I can.

Delancy

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
How's your panel coming?

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
found ones with 12v led of this type, so I have to order them and install them when I get home in july
Good luck. Post up when you complete. I'd read on another thread that, even though the LED's were sold as 12v, they kept blowing bulbs. Someone replied they have to have resistor, even though they claimed 12v. I'll try to find and post.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wish I had seen this earlier, but I am running 2 Hella Optilux 2500 on one of the switches above, and I am also running 2 KC Daylighters on one of these switches. I really have enjoyed these switches, and hope that you will also. There are pictures of them installd in my build thread if you would like to see how they look installed in the FJ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts