Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a way to toggel on/off the reverse lights. I go out camping with other amature astronomers with our telescopes and one thing is sometimes I have to leave in the middle of the night. Problem with that is when I shift into reverse to back up to my trailer or simply move from park to drive the reverse lights come on and white light is REALLY bad for night vision. It takes about an hour for people to get dark adapted which means their pupil is as dialated as it can get and white light will instantly undo that.

So people get pissed if you shine flash lights or head lights into their eyes. :)

So anyways, I've already bypassed the day time running lights with a toggle switch. Now I want to be able to do the same thing with the reverse lights.

The red/yellow wire under the drivers side kick panel didn't work for this purpose. I tried that. So I was thinking inside the center console area the plug that is there which has about 10 wires. I was hoping someone knew which of the wires I could splice in to to bypass the switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Re: Swith off Reverse lights?

I haven't tried it, but I would guess if you put a switch on the red wire with yellow strip in the side wire run, I am guessing it is in their.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

tell the people to hide their eyes for a moment??

·
Registered
3,178 Posts

Put a switch between one of the wires to the backup light bulbs.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

I bought a Swith, never trust swap meet brand items, halfway through my living room swiffing the damned thing broke, not only broke but exploded into toothpick sized shards. I am now legally blind. North Korea wont give me a dime. Good thing I studied braille in heaven that one time.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

Just disconnect the backup wiring connectors at the bulb sockets.

·
Registered
458 Posts

disconnect at fuse ... or run wire from fuse to switch .... eliminating all lights for certain time until you need them...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts