Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people have been looking for these , and I stumbled across them on Amazon , however it came with no instructions and can for those not handy with tools cause issues...like your car not starting becouse transponder is to far from key bezel. So....here is my quick walkthrough.
Amazon link below.

The plastic is strong , like the flexi strong , not brittle , the key mount is metal.
And the spring and mounts inside seem solid...i only had it for a few days , but so far its good.

Step one is to open your oem key fob , one screw , slide back and off.
The transmitter will pop out easy.

Next is to seperate transmitter halves to get the transponder. There is a notch on the right with instructions to use a coin to open it...do so.

Next is to pop out transponder...be gentle as it is like ceramic and can crack...there is hole on the back , you can use a tooth pick to pop it out safely , I used a paper clip .

Snap your oem transmitter back together and open the new one. It has two screws...one on top and one on the back. You can pull it apart a little and slide it over...if you let go , it will pop out and spring will fly..you can put spring back , line up the two halves and give two turns counter clockwise to put tension back on spring to reset it.

There is a slot for the transponder , this I originally did not know , so when i put it together , my car wouldnt start , so im writing this to save some people grief. Drop it in along with transmitter and screw it up , and you are good to go.
Of course , get the key cut first :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Excellent instructions! Thanks for posting. Just ordered my new FOB from Amazon. (Gonna take forever to ship, though.)

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
I had bought one similar to that and it was cheap chinese crap plastic. It worked fine but the first time i dropped my keys, the thing cracked internally under the spring tension then the thing would fail to flip.

Also the reason why I bought it (to try to make the thing smaller in my pocket) didn't really pan out like I thought cause the flip key wasn't that much smaller than the regular key. :(

I hope yours is of sturdier construction. It certainly looks nicer than the one I had

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had bought one similar to that and it was cheap chinese crap plastic. It worked fine but the first time i dropped my keys, the thing cracked internally under the spring tension then the thing would fail to flip.

Also the reason why I bought it (to try to make the thing smaller in my pocket) didn't really pan out like I thought cause the flip key wasn't that much smaller than the regular key. :(

I hope yours is of sturdier construction. It certainly looks nicer than the one I had

I dont think this one could crack...its more like the plastic they used on GI Joes back in the day..the hinge the key is on , is actually the button so its thick....I could forsee a strong person stripping the screws going in to tight...but thats all plastic....I did mine pretty snug then backed off a quarter turn. Size wise , you are not shrinking , it is bigger. I like it though....no key to poke hole in my pockets.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Just ordered one...thanks for the post!

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Im getting ready to do this in the next few days. I haven't received the fob yet. Does it come with a blank built into it and i just get it cut at walmart or something? or do i use the OEM key and put it in the fob somehow? Just trying to make this easier on myself.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
The blank is included. I bought and intended to use, although its big, kinda like putting your cellphone on your keychain. (Almost).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nearly two months now....still good to go...not loose , no cracks....flips fast like my finger when a car cuts me off.....good to go :)

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
where did you have your key cut? I went to Wal-Mart and the two guys there said they didn't want to be liable for any damage to the new key and /or didn't want to break their machine. They weren't very helpful...

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
I took my key blank (out of the flip key) and took it to Home Depot. They will know what's up.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
I bought a really cheapo one off ebay for like $12. It does work but you can tell its a bit cheap. Also it stated it was really for a Rav4. Turns out the button orientation was backwards so I had to do quite a bit of trimming, ect to get it right. It was made for the battery to be more in the middle, but I had to flip it so the battery (and lock button) was towards the bottom where the large round lock button is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought the same one the OP did and took it to the Toyota dealership, they cut the key for free.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts