Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good day
can any one help me and tell me a way to
switch of the airbag in the fj 2011 since there is no pushbutton or switch .

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just curious, why would you want to disable the airbags??

The only ones i believe you can disable are the rollover airbags.
There is a switch on the left side dash, right next to the steering wheel.

KyFJGuy

·
Registered
655 Posts
They're are sensors in the passenger seat that detect the occupant weight and automatically turn off the airbag if he or she is below a predefined threshold...

Otherwise, you will need to check with your local DMV office and ask them about airbag deactivation. If the law allows it and you meet the requirement, they will have a form that you will need to fill up before your local Toyota dealer agree to even acknowledge that it can be done....

:cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reason behind the ? is during the of road driving there is a possibility of activation as i was informed .
check this out

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you are doing stupid stuff like that, the airbags will be the least of your worries.

KyFJGuy

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Simple, just pull the fuse for the Air Bag (SRS).

·
Desert Moderator
7,679 Posts
OK - Thread revival time...
Just got back from the desert.
I was thinking to myself as we were giving it death through the desert "I wonder if it's possible for the airbags to go off in some of these moguls/whoops" then 5 minutes later while chasing down my buddy's Raptor I hear a bang as he bottoms out in a dip (probably collected a bit of sand with the bumper too but that's pretty normal the way we drive) then he rolls to a stop...
I get on the radio - "are you OK?" reply comes back ".... ahh... WTF... Airbag just deployed..." I'd guessed that already from the sound of it (I was about 50m back and both of us had our windows up). Thankfully he just has airbag burns on his lower arms, and we were able to remove the airbag assembly, and the truck didn't go into limp mode (that would have been really bad - we needed full power to get out of there...).
Now here's the big question - I know it's not recommended yada yada yada, but we always wear seat belts, and I'd like to disable the front airbags when offroad. Will the fuse actually disable them? Has anyone done a hack to switch them off?

I've searched, but can't find anything else...

·
Registered
126 Posts
OK - Thread revival time...
Just got back from the desert.
I was thinking to myself as we were giving it death through the desert "I wonder if it's possible for the airbags to go off in some of these moguls/whoops" then 5 minutes later while chasing down my buddy's Raptor I hear a bang as he bottoms out in a dip (probably collected a bit of sand with the bumper too but that's pretty normal the way we drive) then he rolls to a stop...
I get on the radio - "are you OK?" reply comes back ".... ahh... WTF... Airbag just deployed..." I'd guessed that already from the sound of it (I was about 50m back and both of us had our windows up). Thankfully he just has airbag burns on his lower arms, and we were able to remove the airbag assembly, and the truck didn't go into limp mode (that would have been really bad - we needed full power to get out of there...).
Now here's the big question - I know it's not recommended yada yada yada, but we always wear seat belts, and I'd like to disable the front airbags when offroad. Will the fuse actually disable them? Has anyone done a hack to switch them off?

I've searched, but can't find anything else...
You're crazy and i need to see some videos of your dune bashing!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Like toyo said...you may very well just pull the fuse. I am not sure how to completely verify they are disabled though...may need to check some leads with a ohm meter or something. Lots of work there.

·
Desert Moderator
7,679 Posts
I'll pull the fuse next time - what's the worst that can happen?
As for my buddy's Raptor, maybe he'll just cut the deployed airbag out & glue a teddy bear or something over the opening... No need to worry about a mod then, right?
@LEVz_ No video, but I'm tempted to get a gopro. There were some guys in jeeps that slowed down & said something about crap vehicles, laughed then took off (well they though they were moving pretty quickly anyway) while we were starting to air down & put the flags up etc, we blasted past them about 30 minutes later like they were standing still. Not much beats a Raptor or a well setup FJ through whoops ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I'll pull the fuse next time - what's the worst that can happen?

There were some guys in jeeps that slowed down & said something about crap vehicles, laughed then took off (well they though they were moving pretty quickly anyway) while we were starting to air down & put the flags up etc, we blasted past them about 30 minutes later like they were standing still. Not much beats a Raptor or a well setup FJ through whoops ;-)
Jeeps? Driving high speed in the desert? :lol:
Haha sounds like you guys have fun, hope you figure it out!

·
Desert Moderator
7,679 Posts
Jeeps? Driving high speed in the desert? :lol:
Haha sounds like you guys have fun, hope you figure it out!
haha - yeah, well they had 37' tires & noisy exhaust & CAIs, so they thought they were doing well.

We spotted a burnt out JK later on - no idea what it's story was.

·
Desert Moderator
7,679 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I want the passenger side disabled as well. For high speed driving (highway) I prefer that my dog be harnessed and belted into the front seat than able to fly around the back compartment in case of an impact (my back seats are removed). She is 40 pounds. I have seen that airbag warning flash when there was an 8.34 pound gallon of milk on that seat, so she will easily weigh enough to arm it. If that airbag fired it would kill her. Before I spend $70 on a harness I need to be sure I can turn that airbag off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would also be interested if anyone else can answer the airbag mod problem... Same reason as Eddie... Have a dog riding shotgun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts