Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to switch to a synthetic line for my 9.5ti. I was looking at Warn, and they sell one, and claim it is the only one that won't void your winch warranty. No problem... right? Well, then I looked at the price... They want $800 for 100 ft of 3/8in line!!!! That is crazy... isn't it?

Can someone please recommend the best synthetic line available that isn't as much as the winch!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for real.... That is as much as some of the winches themselves! Plus they tell you that you need to replace it every two years even if it never gets used! Crazy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
They want $800 for 100 ft of 3/8in line!!!! That is crazy... isn't it?
for real.... That is as much as some of the winches themselves! Plus they tell you that you need to replace it every two years even if it never gets used! Crazy.
I only paid $299 shipped for my Smittybilt XRC8.
Replace every 2 years? I can replace my winch every year for that money. LOL

I'll stick with the steel line.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I know this dog has been beat to death...

However my .02 - The synthetic line is safer because it doesn't hold kinetic energy like the metal line. It's also MUCH lighter if weight on the front end is an issue. Likewise, it's easier to move around, reel in, doesn't leave metal splinters in you if it rubs past your gloves up to your arms, etc.

Nothing is perfect. Synthetic line does need to be replaced periodically, especially if it's exposed to direct sunlight on the mount you're using. It's more prone to chafing and you need to make sure that the rollers are delrin and the snatchblock you're using hasn't been used with wire line in the past. If you're going to be winching over break-over rocks and doing a lot of rock work, metal line is the only way to go.

For most of the FJ type folks with the mountain driving we do (I'd say 99.8% of us), the synthetic line is better because it's safer and it's easier to use.

For the rock crawling crowd (not that many FJ's do SERIOUS rock crawling) metal line is better.

And while you're at it, get a safety thimbal on the end, don't use a hook. Shackles and the thimbal are much safer.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I don't know how much room you have, but double check to make sure you have enough room around the drum for that much line. You won't be able to fit as much 3/8th line as 5/16th. Also, be aware that you only get the full pulling power when you have the line nearly completely spooled out. If you will not be needing that much line, you'll either have to double up with a snatch block or pull from further out. Longer is not always better. Superwinch site has an article on this.

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Amsteel Blue Synthetic winch line 3/8" $3 per foot up here, I would shop around for the best price.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
With synthetic line you will want 3/8" and you will only get 100' to fit. It has a breaking strength of almost 20,000 lbs. I also have a thimble and the first 15' of line has a protective cover of a larger size synthetic cover. I also decided to go with the line that has 25' of fire line on the first wrap on the drum to keep it from melting under braking conditions. As for replacing your line it depends if it is covered when not in use and how much you use it. I personally would not use anything else after trying it.....

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Holy fazoli ! :eek: $800 bones ! That's friggin' rediculous.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Just so you don't only get winchline as a recommendation. I got mine from: Rockstomper.com

Good stuff, good price. Don't mind the simple webpage.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The Warn syn line is kind of a rip off for the price, you can get the Winchline syn line for about half the price and would still be just as good if not better than the Warn line.:simmadown:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts