Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
There are various grades of synthetic, based on different formulas. Each brand has their own grades and formulas.
I would use the "extended service" grade for longer intervals.

Currently I use M1 extended service (15k miles) at 10k intervals.
HTH..

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Whatever brand you use, go to there website and it should be on there. I use M1 Extended Performance as above poster. But I change filters 1/2 way between oil changes with a top up of oil if needed for the filter change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amsoil claims 25,000 miles or one year with their filters. I've got a '93 FZJ80 with 327,000 miles on it. It has had Amsoil in it since 43,000 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i use Mobil 1 and still change the oil every 4500 miles or 4 months ,don't be penny foolish to go any longer then that.u spent 30 grand on the fj to be penny foolish???

·
Registered
58 Posts
i use Mobil 1 and still change the oil every 4500 miles or 4 months ,don't be penny foolish to go any longer then that.u spent 30 grand on the fj to be penny foolish???

Well said-those folks going 10k miles between their oil service had better be on very long stretches of highway in very mild temperatures with NO stop and go traffic. I use to be a partner at an independent shop where we often saw engines with 10k miles or more on the oil changes where the filters had started to disintegrate. None of the filter was in the pan so we guessed (hoped?) that the filter element had evaporated instead of getting stuck somewhere.

According to my manual, Toyota wants those cars in, that are under warranty, at least every 6 months. Synthetic oil doesn't do anything different with unburned elements of combustion nor with moisture. I'm changing mine every 4 mos regardless of mileage after the break-in period. I'm at 5k miles with 3 oil changes and now I'm going to stretch it to every 4-5k miles or 4 mos.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It's really not about being penny foolish. Full synthetic is formulated for extended OCI's. If you've done oil analysis on your oils as many have you would see this. But then it's your rig and you can change your full synthetic as often as you like. Also as far as break in mileage. Modern engines are pretty much broken in as they come out of the factory. Made to much closer tolerances as opposed to the old days with not so close tolerances. About 1000 miles for break-in. And as far as Toyota wanting to see those units at least every 6 months while under warranty. All I can say is its money in their pockets and out of the owners. And if you do your own oil changes then they don't get nothing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i drive 22 miles in the early morning hours 5am to get to work easy miles,but the drive home in the evening 4:30pm it's bumper to bumper and in the summer months it's hard miles.i will go with the 4months do it myself oil changes Mobil 1 and Genuine toyota oil element kit.toyota sent me my car care package kit for my free 2 year oil changes,it states (synthetic oil) but i don't believe the dealer will actually put in the synthetic oil.can't believe everything you read.i feel better doing it myself anyway.if it's too good to be true it probably is.i don't trust the dealer....anyone feel the same that the dealer actually puts in synthetic oil?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went to get my oil changed today (4600 miles). They told me that it wasn't due for an oil change until 10k miles. I told them they can pay for and install a new engine when this one burns up.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I went to get my oil changed today (4600 miles). They told me that it wasn't due for an oil change until 10k miles. I told them they can pay for and install a new engine when this one burns up.
No offense, and it's your money, but the redesigned engines for 2010+ come with full synthetic and are rated for 10k mile intervals. Engine and oil technology has come a long way, and there really is no harm in going that long between changes if the engine's rated for it. Toyota is loosing maintenance money by going to 10k mile changes, so there's really no reason for them to do it unless the engine can handle it. Even my old 1996 Cadillac was rated for 7500 mile intervals...

·
Registered
26 Posts
football so will you or have you gone 10k miles intervals???in my book i don't care what toyota said or if it's writen in stone i wouldn't even go 5000k miles

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
football so will you or have you gone 10k miles intervals???in my book i don't care what toyota said or if it's writen in stone i wouldn't even go 5000k miles
I have not gone 10k since I have on 07, and 07-09 are rated for 5k miles with dino oil. I use full synthetic Ifeel comfortable going 6k miles (went 7k last time) between changes. Only have 40k miles on the truck but I don't ever notice a difference in performance after I do the change, even last time w/ the 7k mile interval.

I've seen some used oil analysis on the forum from people using synthetic (Mobile 1 or Castrol Syntec generally) in an 07-09 going 5k-7k miles and in all cases the oil holds up great. Only real complaint I've read is Mobile 1 0W-30 sheering to a 5W-30, but the analysis of Syntec 0W-30 I've seen shows it holds it's viscosity.

With a 2010+ I would go 10k miles, but I wouldn't go past 10k miles since that 10k rating is based off of using synthetic oil.

To each his own, don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, just sharing my experiences and opinions :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I have an '07 and use 10K mile OCI's on M1 0W40 (A3/B3 european spec) oil and Amsoil EaO filters. I use the same oil and intervals in all my vehicles and have for years. No oil burning and great engine compression = no worries.

Yes you can change your oil everyday, but all that does is make you feel better, waste money and resources IMO.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I have an '07 and use 10K mile OCI's on M1 0W40 (A3/B3 european spec) oil and Amsoil EaO filters. I use the same oil and intervals in all my vehicles and have for years. No oil burning and great engine compression = no worries.

Yes you can change your oil everyday, but all that does is make you feel better, waste money and resources IMO.

DEWFPO
Why the 0W-40? Been thinking of going to 0W-30, but hadn't realized anyone ran 0W-40.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I see -20F to +110 in a typical year and the FJ is parked outside. I use the same oil regardless of season and the M1 is known to be a 'light' 40 weight. The 40 weight makes the engine noticeably quieter (less ticky) and I've noticed no mpg loss going from 0W30 to 0W40. As well, it is A3/B3 rated. I also have no problems using the German Castrol 0W30 since it is also A3/B3 rated and is considered a 'heavy' 30 weight. The Checker/O'Reilly's store around here puts M1 on sale every once in a while for $4.99 per qt.

DEWFPO

1 - 20 of 72 Posts