·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--

First off thanks for all the help!

Researching synthetic oils.

Are they worth it?

Does anyone have any experience with AMSOIL and does it deliver the promises?

Thanks!!
Bryan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, I think it is which is one reason I became an Amsoil dealer. But check out what Brock, Dewfpo, and Jayman have to say about not only Amsoil but other synthetics as well. They really have a lot more knowledge and experience on this topic than me.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
do a search here...plenty of discussions. Like I tell everyone...I wont talk you away from a MOBIL 1 or a couple of the other higher quality oils as long as you also use a high quality filter. The oil provides the lubrication and heat protection but the filter removes the suspended particles...so they are dependent on eachother.

if interested in AMSOIL there are a couple of us that are dealers or you can research it yourself and then click on a link and do your own thing....I am not a pushy dealer...it is your money and your truck...all I can do is give you examples of my own use over the past 20 years of Mobil 1 and now AMSOIL....neither of which I would have a problem fully recommending.

do some reading and if you have any specific questions....there is never a loss for opinions around here. LOL

Good luck....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Heat is the #1 enemy of any "properly maintained" internal combustion engine.
That being said, and considering that this is an off-roading community, these vehicles generally spend a considerable amount of time either at slow speeds under load, or just ideling for longer than normal times.
Dyno oil breaks down quickly at temps approaching 250 degrees whereas a (good/true) synthetic maintains it's integrity up to 300 degrees.

Synthetics are qualified by a "group rating"; group 5 being the best.

Here's an example:

Redline = group 5
Amsoil = group 4
Mobile = group 3

Now you have something to base your decisions on. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
yep that is part of the story...also look at heat sheer, viscosity breakdown, four ball wear tests, etc. I recommend you dont look at just one rating of one characteristic of any oil no matter brand....look at them all. Here are the different areas of concern for you to review and make your decision based on....

1. An oil’s ability to meet the required viscosity grade of an application.
2. An oil’s ability to maintain a constant viscosity when exposed to changes in temperature.
3. An oil’s ability to retain its viscosity during use.
4. An oil’s ability to resist shearing forces and maintain its viscosity at elevated temperatures.
5. An oil’s zinc content.
6. An oil’s ability to minimize general wear.
7. An oil’s ability to minimize gear wear.
8. An oil’s ability to minimize deterioration when exposed to elevated temperatures.
9. An oil’s ability to resist volatilization when exposed to elevated temperatures.
10. An oil’s ability to maintain engine cleanliness and control acid corrosion.
11. An oil’s ability to resist foaming.
12. An oil’s ability to control rust corrosion.

Good luck with your search...all three of the oils listed by previous poster are good choices.

Here are two links for the 5w30 and 0w30 100% synthetic fluids at AMSOIL to read the test results and compare against others. It is not always the top performer in each individual test but does offer top performance overall and in a wider area of coverage than most. Like I said earlier....it is your money and vehicle so go with what you are comfortable with....just do some research on your own and make an informed choice.

ASL 5W30

SSO 0W30

Likewise, I still would recommend Mobil 1 and Redline for products as well....so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Full synthetics are definitely worth it, but only after your first oil change or first 3-5000 miles. The harder you are going to treat your vehicle and the more important reliability is for you, the more important the oil quality is. A good place to start is the Mobil Oil website, pretty well-balanced and precise (for a supplier site). Make sure you are actually getting full synthetic (read the small print), check the SAE, API, ILSAC classifications. Just never use oils that are lesser than the one specified in the FJ manual. Of course consider the cost of the oil, but you can also potentially run longer between drains than on mineral oils.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Welcome Jokerizwild,

It depends on what you are looking for. You can go with 3, 4, or 5,000 mile oil changes with a good quality dino oil and your engine will be fine and last a very long time. The oils today are so much better than they used to be.

If your looking for better mpg, you really can't justify the switch to synthetics for that alone. I've used Redline, Castrol Syntec, Mobil1 and now (for the first time) Amsoil synthetics (oils & lubes). I have kept detailed mpg data on all our vehicles and equipment. I typically average about 1.2-1.3% better mpg with synthetics. Certainly not enough reason to run out and buy them.

If your looking for longer drain intervals, then you can typically go 7-10K on a good quality synthetic depending on how aggressively you drive, whether you tow, run dusty trails or Scuba Drive. Some even longer if you buy the real primo stuff and perform regular oil analyses. (too much trouble and a bit of overkill for me).

Where I personally see the biggest benefit with synthetics is the high temperature stability of the oils and the low temp flow capabilities. I lived in an area where I would sit in bumper to bumper traffic, crawling along at 115F with the A/C on for long periods of time. No worries if using a synthetic. I now live in an area that gets down to -20F in the winter. No worries with synthetic.

If you want to perform your own experiment, wait till you get a +20F night, change the oil the day before (switching to a synthetic oil of the same viscosity range) and see if you notice any difference the next morning when you go out to start your vehicle. See for yourself.

So, after all my mumbo jumbo, I personally think synthetics are the way to go (for me, for some of the reasons stated above).

DEWFPO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts