Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off is there any preference between Amsteel and Master Pull? Secondly, can an M8000 handle 150 feet of line? If not what about 125 feet of line? The reason that I am asking is that the price difference in the extra line isn't all that much. Thanks for the opinions and input!

Zane

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
First off is there any preference between Amsteel and Master Pull?
Master Pull is the top-shelf stuff for sure, but unless you buy their top-line "Superline" then their regular winch line is made of the same Dyneema synthetic rope that is used to make Amsteel; possibly their quality control is better though.

Secondly, can an M8000 handle 150 feet of line? If not what about 125 feet of line? The reason that I am asking is that the price difference in the extra line isn't all that much. Thanks for the opinions and input!
No; the drum is only big enough to hold 100' of 5/16" line or 80' of 3/8" line. 150' is a lot of line. You are better off with less line on the drum so that when you pull, you are pulling with less wraps on the drum and hence much better leverage and power (most winches only generate their rated pulling power on the 1st wrap of the drum). If you need more than 80 or 100 feet of pull where you wheel, then buy a winch line extension.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Check out this stuff called "Mule tape."
I used some before when I got my work truck stuck pretty deep in the mud.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
1911...great advice as always :cheers: one more thing a little off topic...besides the extra straps, bring along a snatch block. 10K winch with all the line off the drum wasn't enough to get me outta mud to my axles.

·
Registered
937 Posts
No; the drum is only big enough to hold 100' of 5/16" line or 80' of 3/8" line. 150' is a lot of line. You are better off with less line on the drum so that when you pull, you are pulling with less wraps on the drum and hence much better leverage and power (most winches only generate their rated pulling power on the 1st wrap of the drum). If you need more than 80 or 100 feet of pull where you wheel, then buy a winch line extension.
Spot on. Shorter the line on the drum the better, more pulling power AND much faster to deploy and properly put away! Just get an extra 50' of synthetic line set up as winch extension. Both ends are closed with stainless thimbles. Much easier to set up and put away when needed. Get a mesh (diving, sports gear, etc.) bag to keep the extra winch line in so it can dry out when you are done using it.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I, myself, am fond of having the whole 100' of line AND two 50' extensions. This, in combination with two snatchblocks, a tree saver, recovery strap, and six 5 3/4 T shackles gives me the flexability to do nearly any pull utilizing the first and second wrap on the drum regardless of whether the winch point is 190' to 30' in front. Even more combinations if you consider using the snatchblock as a turnbuckle rather than a pulley.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies! I guess it is 100 feet then.

Zane

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Yeah I had 100 on my M8000 and ended up having to chop off about 20. way too long. even 80 feet binds up if not spooled perfectly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, 100 feet is too long? Hmmm. Would it be possible to put 80 feet of 3/8's line on a M8000? Thanks in advance!

Zane

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
So, 100 feet is too long? Hmmm. Would it be possible to put 80 feet of 3/8's line on a M8000? Thanks in advance!

Zane

Yes, you can cut it to length. But also be sure it is wound on the winch under a load. It definitely winds a lot tighter that way.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Yes, you can cut it to length. But also be sure it is wound on the winch under a load. It definitely winds a lot tighter that way.
thats the thing, I fit 100 of 3/8 under load, but spooling it up under hand grip was a pain in the ass. I kept the 20 foot I cut off and loop spliced the ends and now if I need that extra footage, I take it out of my recovery bag.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
This is the set up I am running 9.5TI 100ft viking with safety thimble. this winch holds 125ft. I am happy with this set up but when I need new line I am going to try 80ft and carry a extension. alot of the time I have some thing close to hook to but pull alot off to get down to the second wrap to have better puling power.
If you choose viking or master pull you will be happy with either one they are both good products.

JKFJ08

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
i run a super winch rock 95 it only has 50ft of viking line and if i need more line i have a pretty long tree saver

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
thats the thing, I fit 100 of 3/8 under load, but spooling it up under hand grip was a pain in the ass. I kept the 20 foot I cut off and loop spliced the ends and now if I need that extra footage, I take it out of my recovery bag.
To spool the synthetic winch rope under load I tied off to a telephone pole and set my e-brake firm enough to slow the drag but allow the wheels to turn. That definitely helped to set the winch line on the spool. Viking line says to install the rope unload.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts