Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok i understand now about the crossovers. I always have had a loud clear system but i never used components. The 8inch speakers i have in my doors are 8ohm for voice and with the additional 6x9s in rear the mids and highs are great. I have my amps bolted to the back of seat. I might move to under the seat when it warms up a little. MORE PICS OF INSTALL PLEASE :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok i understand now about the crossovers. I always have had a loud clear system but i never used components. The 8inch speakers i have in my doors are 8ohm for voice and with the additional 6x9s in rear the mids and highs are great. I have my amps bolted to the back of seat. I might move to under the seat when it warms up a little. MORE PICS OF INSTALL PLEASE :)
those are the only pictures I took and everything is already back together except the passenger seat so I can put the bass amp in tomorrow when it comes in...was there anything in particular you wanted to see?

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you have 8 inch speakers in the door and 6x9's in the rear then you have totally killed the "staging". What is going to sound best is have your mid-range speaker in the door, a tweeter in the dash and your subs in the rear... This is going to give you the best sound.. The reason that you want the tweeters in the dash (either aimed towards the driver or straight up to "bounce " off the glass) is that high frequency's are very direct, so if they are not pointed towards you then you will loose volume, clarity and quality. Also, having the subs in the rear is best because bass is not directional and doesnt "need" to be pointed at you for you to hear it best.

The fact that your 8inch doors are 8ohm's are not really doing anything for your front staging...best way to do that properly would be to get a mid-bass driver (6.5 is most common in car audio), for the door, have your tweeters mounted in the factory location in the dash (using a crossover for the set) and rear fill will come from sub(s) in the rear.

Please dont move your amps under the seat, as said before it is not a good location in the FJ to install...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well said, I will yake that into consideration. I was planning on getting tweeter for the dash. Doors are done already and they dont sound bad. Most likely i will remove the 6x9's in rear and put the 4inch speakers in pillars. Thanx

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
If you look at my first suggestion, post 10...you will see that I said to put them up in the dash... but putting them in the door is not a problem if you do it correctly...I have my MECP certification and have been installing for 11 years.. your suggestion for under the seats in the FJ is a BAD place to put anything...where do you think that water from your shoes on a wet day is going to go............
Since we are mentioning experience, I have been in the 12 volt/Cellular Electronics Industry for 18 1/2 years. I started out installing Car Alarms, Car Phones (the suitcase size ones) and basic Car Audio systems, then progressed up the chain to designing and installing competition audio and ultimately competing on some of the smaller circuits myself. I followed the money at the time and headed into cellular only and worked with at&t Wireless (before they were at&t), then 8 years at Nokia and now Apple. I only mention all this to establish the fact that are am not a shade tree audio installer either and I acknowledge your experience and accreditation also.

That being said, under the seat is fine. As with anything under the seat it is suggested to use a 1/2 to 3/4 spacer under the equipment to elevate it away from potential liquids and promote cooling (for amps). In your experience you have surely seen even water damaged speakers in doors and would probably agree that it is not the best place and not a 100% sealed environment. All I am saying is, if other options are available, use them. The door is not the optimum location for crossover or any weather proof sealed piece of electronic equipment and does not make sense in the FJC.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
...I followed the money at the time and headed into cellular only and worked with at&t Wireless (before they were at&t), then 8 years at Nokia and now Apple...
Can you ask your boss (Steve Jobs) to implement stereo bluetooth & Flash in the next firmware update please?!? :D

jcphockey16, looking good. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
That being said, under the seat is fine. As with anything under the seat it is suggested to use a 1/2 to 3/4 spacer under the equipment to elevate it away from potential liquids and promote cooling (for amps).
Can this spacer be just a 1/2 inch or so sheet of MDF or equivalent, or does it need to have room for air/potential liquid to pass under it?

What are other options for mounting amps in the FJ, other than somewhere in the rear cargo area? Not willing to give up any of that space, if at all possible.

I'm about to purchase an amp, probably Alpine PDX 4.100, and was planning on mounting it under the driver's seat. Just wanted to make sure that was the best option for me before I do it.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Can this spacer be just a 1/2 inch or so sheet of MDF or equivalent, or does it need to have room for air/potential liquid to pass under it?

What are other options for mounting amps in the FJ, other than somewhere in the rear cargo area? Not willing to give up any of that space, if at all possible.

I'm about to purchase an amp, probably Alpine PDX 4.100, and was planning on mounting it under the driver's seat. Just wanted to make sure that was the best option for me before I do it.
You can buy a 1/2 inch spacer made out metal or rubber at Home Depot or Lowes. The only other place I have seen for a possible amp location is behind the rear quarter panels, next to the rear seat back, under the c-pillar. I have not tried that though and it be tough, but the room is there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So just some spacers to put on the corners of the amp to hold it up?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Looking good, Soon as my FJ hits my driveway. I am going to have the stereo stuff already to go and go at it. The one thing I need in my vehicle is QUALITY sound.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Where can i buy that box at looks great and also how many watts do those speakers push out.
that box is from wickedcas...look for Nazar on the forums he sells them, i bought the subs, box and amp from him. the amp to the subs is the JL 2150 and the subs are 10w1v2-8's with about 110 watts going to each one...they sound great.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts