Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
The kit that they sell, will it fit in the Dash location, if I want to upgrade the tweeters?

Speaker Installation - Tweeter Mounts - Tacotunes.com Shopping Cart

Thanks
From this pic I took compared to what I saw at the link you posted, it looks like you might be able to use the football shaped piece to mount to the FJ's factory bracket. However, you could make your own football shaped piece from fiber board (hardboard) or plastic.

I recommend putting a 3.5" coaxial in the dash (and an exact matching pair in the rear pillars) to get good solid imaging and not have the soundstage on the floor, but I think we have discussed that before.

-FJ Florida-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
They will work. Just make sure you get the correct size for your tweets. I specified mine just a tad to big. I was able to run this setup here without any modifications to the grill cover.

I am no longer running the Arc components. The separation between the woofer and the tweeter was to much. Instead, I modified the dash and grills to accept a mid and tweeter from a 3-way component set.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recommend putting a 3.5" coaxial in the dash (and an exact matching pair in the rear pillars) to get good solid imaging and not have the soundstage on the floor, but I think we have discussed that before.

-FJ Florida-
I was thinking about doing this exact thing... it looks like the tweeters in the dash now are 2.5" - how much work do you have to do to get 3.5" coaxials to fit?

I noticed that Bazooka sells a 3.5" coaxial for the rear pillars - I didn't even know Bazooka sold anything other than subs. Are these coaxials any good? Would other 3.5" coaxials fit in the rear without too much effort?

EDIT: Nevermind.... I just saw your thread about mounting the 3.5s in the dash... I'm still thinking about going this route...

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was thinking about doing this exact thing... it looks like the tweeters in the dash now are 2.5" - how much work do you have to do to get 3.5" coaxials to fit?

I noticed that Bazooka sells a 3.5" coaxial for the rear pillars - I didn't even know Bazooka sold anything other than subs. Are these coaxials any good? Would other 3.5" coaxials fit in the rear without too much effort?

EDIT: Nevermind.... I just saw your thread about mounting the 3.5s in the dash... I'm still thinking about going this route...
Yeah, I saw the Bazooka kit, and I didn't like it at all. The Rockford Fosgate 3-1/2" speakers are only $40 per pair, they are well built, and I got them to fit both in the dash and in the rear pillars with no problems. They also sound good, but you will need some bass, because there is no bass from four 3-1/2's. The 6x9's I used and the crossovers I used work fine, but a pair of 8 inch subwoofers on either side of the cargo area would be a great choice for anyone willing to give up the space, which I am not, so I engineered a solution with no subs.

For anyone who didn't see the threads:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/122575-2011-audio-mod.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...0-2011-rear-pillar-speaker-install-guide.html

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the factory sub, and factory rear pillar speakers, but I have replaced the HU with a Kenwood Nav unit, which should have plenty of power.

I am just now starting the process of replacing the factory speakers.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Most 3.5" spekares that come with a tweeter use a cheaper tweeter component. You would be better off getting a pair of matched component set meaning 6.5" driver and a tweeter. Mount the tweeter inthe dash location. If that is you are after better sound.

If you want a 3 way set up you can certainly get them mounted on stock grille, But I must recommend our A-Pillars to getthe sound stage where you want it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Most 3.5" spekares that come with a tweeter use a cheaper tweeter component. You would be better off getting a pair of matched component set meaning 6.5" driver and a tweeter. Mount the tweeter in the dash location. If that is you are after better sound.
I disagree, having used the 2 way setup you describe in many previous installations. The midrange and the soundstage will be on the floor, the large separation between the mids and the tweeters is another problem, attenuating the tweeters appropriately since they are in your face is another issue, leg blockage is yet another problem, and 6.5's are not a good replacement for the 6x9's in the doors. The grille and cutout are for a 6x9 so use them in combination with a 3.5 coaxial in the dash, or cram 8" drivers into the doors if you don't like 6x9's.

The idea that I see floated all the time that somehow 2 way 6.5 separates are always the best in the front in every application is incorrect. The FJ is a prime example of a difficult application where 6.5" 2 way separates just are not the best overall solution.

I like the pic above with the mid and tweeter on the dash. I have said before that my next updrade would be an amplifier, dome mids in the dash, and tweeters in the A pillars. If you don't like 3.5 coaxials for whatever reason, I think this approach would be the next logical step, not 2 way separate 6.5's. The only reason I would put the tweeters in the A pillars would be to make room for the dome mids concealed in the dash, not imaging and/or soundstage.

Regarding your blanket statement about the quality of the tweeters in a coaxial 3.5", I find no rational basis for your statement. Stick with a good brand like MB Quart, Polk, Infinity, Boston Acoustics, etc. and they will be of fine quality. Even my Rockfords sound good, and they are by no means high end at $39.99 per pair.

Also, tweeters are responsible for very, very little musical content. They are not as critical as people think to placement of the soundstage. Tweeters also are not as critical as people think to imaging. Go listen to some live music and you will hear remarkably little in the range that a tweeter produces. Are tweeters important? Yes. Are they highly overrated? Yes.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/122575-2011-audio-mod.html

-FJ Florida-

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
FJ FLORIDA you have to admit the A pillars look sweet though Pricey but sweeeeeet. :)
I really wanted to get the a-pillars instead of putting the speakers in the dash, but the requirement to send the mid and tweets in to have the pillars custom fitted and painted was a turn off. I decided to try it this way first. I can always do the pillars later if this setup doesn't work well. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
FJ Florida

If you are telling me the tweeters you have in your 3.5" set is as good as a tweeter in a component set like the Hi energy Hertz or posibly JL audio component set... Well I have nothing to say to you.. other then that is your opinion and you are missing a whole nother sound spectrum...

Having a pair of components not only will give you better drivers but they are also matched with the crossovers.. Believe it or not a lot of components are designed to be bi-directional and off-axis so your sound stage will be present. There are also adjustments in the crossovers to get you the best sound possible.

If you tell me about component sets with 3.5" or 4" and seperate tweeters I will go with it... Like Hertz or Voce or JL seperate 3 way systems.

But a "$39.95" 3.5" 2 way coaxial speaker with a built in tweeter will not have the same components as the higher end models sorry.

If you like the way your set up sounds, that is great... But please that is not the only way to do it... Don't let others miss out on hi end audio...

You have done some great write ups on "How to" installs and it is greatly appreciated... However it is with great respect that you need to understand that is not the only way to go about it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
FJ Florida

If you are telling me the tweeters you have in your 3.5" set is as good as a tweeter in a component set like the Hi energy Hertz or posibly JL audio component set... Well I have nothing to say to you.. other then that is your opinion and you are missing a whole nother sound spectrum...

Having a pair of components not only will give you better drivers but they are also matched with the crossovers.. Believe it or not a lot of components are designed to be bi-directional and off-axis so your sound stage will be present. There are also adjustments in the crossovers to get you the best sound possible.

If you tell me about component sets with 3.5" or 4" and seperate tweeters I will go with it... Like Hertz or Voce or JL seperate 3 way systems.

But a "$39.95" 3.5" 2 way coaxial speaker with a built in tweeter will not have the same components as the higher end models sorry.

If you like the way your set up sounds, that is great... But please that is not the only way to do it... Don't let others miss out on hi end audio...

You have done some great write ups on "How to" installs and it is greatly appreciated... However it is with great respect that you need to understand that is not the only way to go about it.
No disrespect, just disagreement. I hear what you are saying, and I am not saying there is only one way to get accurate sound in an FJ. I also am not saying that there aren't some really fantastic tweeters and fantastic 6.5" separates on the market.

However, it is my belief that 6.5" 2 way separates in the front of an FJ are about as far from high end as a person could get due to the physics involved, plus physical blockage by the driver and passenger's legs and the other issues I mentioned above and below. I would like to revisit my two points:

1) Tweeters are highly overrated, and
2) 2 way separate 6.5 inch speakers isn't ideal in this application

I have been designing speakers and audio systems (home and car) for about 30 years. When I engineered and built my home audio speakers, which are 48" tall, did I mount the tweeters way up at the top of the cabinet and put the midranges down on the floor in a two way system? Of course not. Co-location of tweeters and midranges is important. Some companies (Peerless for example) even truncate the frames of their midranges to facilitate mounting multiple midranges near each other and to facilitate getting the tweeter as close as possible to the midrange. Some tweeters have truncated flanges for the same reason. Other companies like Tannoy and KEF use coaxials in some of their best home audio speakers. Yep, coaxials a/k/a Uni-Q (KEF) or Dual Concentric (Tannoy).

So, how do we achieve something reasonably close to co-location in an FJ where the speaker mounting locations are on the floor and almost in your face? We do it by putting as little midrange on the floor as possible and then we do our best to co-locate the mid and treble in the dash location. On a budget, use a 3.5" coaxial in the dash, and you will be just fine. If you have more money and the time and knowledge to engineer the system, step up to a dome midrange (or a cone midrange) in the dash location and mount the tweeters near them - either surface mounted or in the A pillars, or wherever you choose, so long as they are close to the mids.

Do I listen to expensive Dynaudio tweeters at home? Yes. Do the expensive Dynaudio tweeters make much difference compared to a $20 Tang Band tweeter I bought a few weeks ago? Not much because as I said previously, very little musical content is in the tweeter range. Tweeters are overrated and usually too high in level compared to the mids, which is going to be a serious problem with 2 way 6.5's in the FJ because the tweeters are in your face and the 6.5's are way down on the floor. Even with 91 db efficient 6x9 mid/bass drivers and 87 db efficient 3.5's I still had to attenuate the dash speakers by 5.25 db to get a power response curve match due to the distance between them. Yes, some component systems have an attenuation switch on their crossovers for the tweeter level, but you still haven't solved all the other problems with the 6.5" 2 way setup.

Regarding tweeter quality, I would not call the tweeters in the KEF coaxial Uni-Q speakers or the Dual Concentric coaxials in the Tannoy speakers I mentioned above anything less than very, very good. Just because a speaker is coaxial does not mean that the tweeter isn't good or excellent.

Regarding crossovers, sometimes the best crossover is no crossover at all. For example, there are some high end home audio speakers that use the natural high frequency rolloff of the mid/bass with no low pass crossover at all. That's what I did in the FJ. There is no need for a low pass inductor coil on the 6x9's. I also am not a fan of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th order crossovers due to the associated phase angles and the fact that the more stuff you put between your power and your speaker, the more potential there is to add various distortions and colorations. For that reason, and because of the phase angles of higher order crossovers, I use only first order crossovers in all of my designs, including the FJ. Having a separate crossover that comes with a pair of component speakers does not guarantee any sound improvement, especially if it is built with anything less than the best film capacitors and large wire gauge air core inductors using a first order design.

I could step up to a true three way system, with separate mids and tweeters in the dash location, and maybe one day I will, but it's a lot of time, engineering, money, and effort.

A pair of 6.5" two way separates in my FJ would be a low fidelity downgrade that I would never consider. I have tried that setup in several different cars over the years, and you won't find in my FJ - ever - nor will you ever find super expensive tweeters because they just are not that important musically or for soundstage or image.

IMHO. Some opinions may vary, but it's very hard to dispute the physics involved in audio engineering. For many years, I tried to find ways to defeat the laws of physics, but you can't. Work with them, especially in the FJ.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
FJ FLORIDA you have to admit the A pillars look sweet though Pricey but sweeeeeet. :)
Like the goat on one of the AFLAC ads I say ... Nah! :lol:

I actually don't like the appearance. I am about ready to yank out the factory grilles, cut out circles, and replace them with speaker grill fabric. The factory grilles are so obstructive. But then again, so is the perf job I did in the back. Time, effort, and more time ... and appearance.

-FJ Florida-

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts