Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you don't have the hands of a 4 year old, use some needle nose pliers to hold the socket/bulb and twist it into place. Make sure the bulb is extremely snug in the socket and be careful not to bump the sides of the housing. Not fun removing the housing in order to retrieve a dropped bulb, ask me how I know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't have the hands of a 4 year old, use some needle nose pliers to hold the socket/bulb and twist it into place. Make sure the bulb is extremely snug in the socket and be careful not to bump the sides of the housing. Not fun removing the housing in order to retrieve a dropped bulb, ask me how I know.
Yea I’ve tried that but I just can’t seem to get it lined up with the grooves.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If I were you, I’d replace them with LEDs, so you don’t have to do it again. That’s what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I replaced my oem working lights with Diode dynamics led

they worked for 4 months

one side failed. They replaced. It failed again within hours .
They replaced again

Next week other one failed.

Then they mailed me two new ones. Now I am afraid to put led there - and put my stock ones back in

all other led no problems

·
A-Team Moderator
8,734 Posts
So if you've done that many times, why not tell him how you did it or do you have the hands of a 4 yr old? :ROFLMAO: I just did it a few hours ago with long needle nose vise grips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced my oem working lights with Diode dynamics led

they worked for 4 months

one side failed. They replaced. It failed again within hours .
They replaced again

Next week other one failed.

Then they mailed me two new ones. Now I am afraid to put led there - and put my stock ones back in

all other led no problems
I bought iBrightstar LEDs for front and rear turn signals, and JDM Astars for the brake lights, all from Amazon. I installed them back in June, and have had no problems with them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I bought iBrightstar LEDs for front and rear turn signals, and JDM Astars for the brake lights, all from Amazon. I installed them back in June, and have had no problems with them.

Thanks, will keep those brands in mind for the future

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I were you, I’d replace them with LEDs, so you don’t have to do it again. That’s what I did.

That’s what I’m replacing them with, but it’s just too cold out right now. Everytime I go to put it in the housing it feels I’m shoving my hand in a dull blender.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried to remove the whole housing? That’s what I did. It made it a lot easier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yea I’ve tried that but I just can’t seem to get it lined up with the grooves.
My memory is a little foggy but try looking at the bend on the wires to guide you. I had the same problem initially because I didn't look at it before I pulled the socket out. It's been a minute but I'm pretty sure there are only 3 tabs so your options are limited. I seem to remember it not looking right when it goes in, but once you twist it in the housing it locks it in. The tabs don't really fit the other ways because 1 of them is too large. As always, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I use a set of pliers I got from Harbor Freight and dipped the jaws in plastic dip

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My memory is a little foggy but try looking at the bend on the wires to guide you. I had the same problem initially because I didn't look at it before I pulled the socket out. It's been a minute but I'm pretty sure there are only 3 tabs so your options are limited. I seem to remember it not looking right when it goes in, but once you twist it in the housing it locks it in. The tabs don't really fit the other ways because 1 of them is too large. As always, I could be wrong.
Thanks for your advice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts