Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the weekend, I got in an argument with a tree, over whether or not I had enough room to get by and as a result the tree removed me of my driver side rear light assembly.:rocker:
As I wait till tomorrow to place an order for a new tail light, I"m wondering if light guards would be a good purchase.

Those of you with em, how do the attach to the fj? do they provide any improvement in over all strength, as the tail lights on their own are attached by screws in plastic. or are they just for protecting from objects cracking the outside.

what kind do you run? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
My opinion is they are just for looks and had you had them on I bet you would have had sheet metal damage from driving the guard into the body.

Just have to look how they attach to the vehicle and judge from that
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
My opinion is they are just for looks and had you had them on I bet you would have had sheet metal damage from driving the guard into the body.

That would be my opinion as well.

They look neato, but but so does a Speedo. Until you put one on and find that you're just as exposed as you were without.:cowfrown:

·
Registered
3,866 Posts

This sums up my feelings as well... bling item! :cowfrown:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
They look good and protect the taillight covers! Oh and they look good.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
yeah during my recent ride, i just loved my speedo..a little wedgey every now and then,

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I agree, after seeing how they mount I think anything more than the lightest hit would wind up causing sheetmetal damage, I'd rather replace the tail light. My fiance calls them "tail light prophylactics"

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have em and agree that almost all the time they will just keep the plastic from falling onto the trail, but there's that one time that you're backing up real slow and don't see that tree (it's happened to me) or getting close enough to rub, it might stop you before you do any damage.

Those assemblies are not cheap, I have limited funds.

Plus I'm guessing if you are going fast enough to do sheet metal damage with them, you're going fast enough to do sheet metal damage without em.

So if it's my one bling thing, I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Seen this fj in Palm Desert when i was on vacation.

It had the tail light covers and these mood light mirror things.

I wonder what the mirror pieces would look like blacked out?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
[ My fiance calls them "tail light prophylactics"[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny...and I can so see Heather saying that!!:lol:

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Actually they do protec the tail lights and are not bling. Just take a look at uphills Scorpion build thread, he smashed the rear light and it hit so hard it broke the welds on the tail light guards but did no damage to the tailight. He just bought the same ones I have, Manik's. they do work...:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have the Manik tail light guards, I love them. They are super strong. You would be surprised. I backed into my garage and hit the edge of the door trim and it took my garage door trim right off. My light guards were a little scratched. They mount by taking the tail light out then slipping the light into the guard then reinstalling the guard and light. They can take a hit. Another time I was deep in the woods and had to turn around in a tight spot and the left tail light took a huge hit from a tree and they had no damage, just a few scratches. In my opinion they look good and protect very well. I don't know about other brands but Manik are strong.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Manik here too! I think some of you guys are funny with what you consider bling. I used to work for a company that bought old crack/whore houses in the Toledo ghetto and rehabilitated them to rent out as HUD subsidized housing. The areas we worked in were very heavily infested with gangs and crack/heroin dealers. So we got to see our fare share of blinged out Escalades , impalas, SL 500s, Lexus, etc.
Now, when I think bling, I think 28in spinners, Strut grills, gold leaf on EVERYTHING. Two tone swade interior with burl wood all over the place, super dark tint, and a bunch of crap that I don't even know what the hell it is. I've got nothing against bling if that is what gets you wet, but I think some of you guys are off base in what you consider to be bling.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
here are a couple pics of the black marker guards you were wondering about. I like em because they really add to the blackout effect of the mirrors. I got mine for $40 bucks for the set. Billet Aluminum with a black powdercoat.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was thinking they might have saved me a puchase of a replacement assembly ($300) from an errant strap that snapped in a recovery and cracked my original.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts