Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im looking to get a set of tail light guards within a few days, but i had a few questions first. To start off, it's between a set of manik style guards i found at a website, and the body armor ones. I was wondering how to mount these. I've heard of people gently prying the tail light and putting the tab in. Others take the whole assembly out. What's better between the two, and whats easier to do? I tried doing a forum search and came up with nothing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I installed some Maniks, and it seems that it would be best to follow the directions and pull the whole tail light assembly out (as much of a pain as it is). If I remember right, you will need a 10mm deep well socket for this. I don't see where you can just pry out the assembly to get the guard on.

I have debated installing them on my new FJ because after installing them on my old one (as cool as they looked), I was afraid that they would cause body damage as opposed to just a busted tail light assembly if I backed into a tree or something like that.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I installed some Maniks, and it seems that it would be best to follow the directions and pull the whole tail light assembly out (as much of a pain as it is). If I remember right, you will need a 10mm deep well socket for this. I don't see where you can just pry out the assembly to get the guard on.

I have debated installing them on my new FJ because after installing them on my old one (as cool as they looked), I was afraid that they would cause body damage as opposed to just a busted tail light assembly if I backed into a tree or something like that.
I mostly agree with your statement...I prefer the Maniks over the other brands... But if you back into a tree depending on how it was hit...the lens may not break and still push a dent into the panel...It happened to me and I was able to dismantle all the inside panels for accsess and gently work the dent out with body dollies...of course the same damage would have occurred with the guards on. :lol: They look cool and they do offer a degree of protection...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I installed a set similar to the Maniks a couple of years ago. Removed taillites per instructions to instal. Later after a minor accident I had to re-instal and found it was very easy to simply slip the front clip under the gasket.

Now let me tell about two accidents with the guards in place. A guy was pulling up beside me on a very slick trail and when he hit the brakes he slid into one of the guards, which left a dent in his door but no damage to light or guard......GOOD. Last spring I got too close to a root and caught the front edge of the guard which in turn pulled out the taillight and wrapped around to do some damage to the lift gate...BAD. Taillight was totalled and new cost $230. Before the last accident I had always planned to add some reinforcement to the front mounting. The tiny little clip held in place by the rubber gasket does almost nothing to support the guard. So anyway, after repairs I added a brace that is bolted through the body at the front edge of the quard. It is a piece of steel strap about 1 x 3 x 1/8' welded to guard with a foot about 1 x 2". The strap is designed to deflect branches, roots and other trail trash that otherwise would hook the guard again. Now it would take a much harder hit to do any damage.

Future plans call for a hoop attached to corners of bumper and extending up to just below guard which hopefully will add some real protection. Waiting on this until after Bushwacker flares installed.

Alan

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I installed a set similar to the Maniks a couple of years ago. Removed taillites per instructions to instal. Later after a minor accident I had to re-instal and found it was very easy to simply slip the front clip under the gasket.

Now let me tell about two accidents with the guards in place. A guy was pulling up beside me on a very slick trail and when he hit the brakes he slid into one of the guards, which left a dent in his door but no damage to light or guard......GOOD. Last spring I got too close to a root and caught the front edge of the guard which in turn pulled out the taillight and wrapped around to do some damage to the lift gate...BAD. Taillight was totalled and new cost $230. Before the last accident I had always planned to add some reinforcement to the front mounting. The tiny little clip held in place by the rubber gasket does almost nothing to support the guard. So anyway, after repairs I added a brace that is bolted through the body at the front edge of the quard. It is a piece of steel strap about 1 x 3 x 1/8' welded to guard with a foot about 1 x 2". The strap is designed to deflect branches, roots and other trail trash that otherwise would hook the guard again. Now it would take a much harder hit to do any damage.

Future plans call for a hoop attached to corners of bumper and extending up to just below guard which hopefully will add some real protection. Waiting on this until after Bushwacker flares installed.

Alan

Hey Alan, I have hooked a few branches on the trail and luckily I saw it before I kept moving along...this could have ended up in a similar situation as described happened to you.

If and when you come back to sunny Fl. I would like to talk this over in detail... I hope your doing well...I remember you mentioned some type of cancer therapy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts