Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rolled up to Valdez, Alaska last month. I was a sponsor of 'Tailgate Alaska" which is the World Freeride Championships and was 23 days long. On the way up,I crossed into Canada East of Vancouver, BC. For this leg, I commited to driving the whole way on the Alcatan Highway. The drive time from Seattle to Valdez was 4 days and 2,200 miles. (3,000 door to door / 1 way) I saw about 50 Bison, and a few dozen Moose and Caribou along the way. The last leg from Hainse Junction, YT to Valdez, AK was like 560+ miles. I took three good rock hits and repaired them in this section. Lots of Ice heaves on the road that will launch you if you are over 80kph (50MPH'ish) and into snow banks or off a ledge. Good time for about 250 miles!!
I roll through the border into Alaska. The roads all of the sudden are semi-pristine asphault with bright yellow lines : ) That last's 10 miles then they go to hell. 55mph speed limit, Eskimo Smokie Joes are everywhere.

The event location "Thompson Pass" made my daily commute 60 miles a day through the gnarliest avalanche zone on the planet. Hell yeah! I wore my avalanch beacon on my drive in and out. I cut first tracks in 18" of snow on the road a few times .A person e-mailed me, nope, strike that it
was a post in another room were one of my bros was making sure I was okay (I f'd up my knee : ( ) Telling me to get back to Cal and get to work. I told him, "Heli's, Snowcats, Snowmobiles, Bacon wrapped scallops and mountain conditions that would make you poop"! Pfft!!!! For me that is work. And I killed it!!!!!
My total commute milage was 1,450miles over the 23 days of the event.

My last night there, I saw some wicked ass Northern Lights. They are super funky col-ma-dina!!!

On the way back I took my time and set a daily limit of 500 miles all in daylight. I drove North up to Tok, Alaska and crossed the border into the Yukon Territory. My first day landed me in Danger Bay. I woke up to my truck having about 16" of fresh pow hiding it. Ahead of me is that BS road section I spoke of earlier. I took two more rock shots in the window (repaired) My next leg took me to (?) a gas station with a hotel. The lady remembered me from a month before when I stopped for gas. (Boom Shaka Bow Wow : )
The next day I didn't look back, but turned South just before Whitehorse, YT
to take the Casiar Highway south towards Prince George, BC. That was an epic choice for sure. Plus, the snow was following me : ) Not much room for error on the Cassiar and you Do Not want to break down. Very desolate, no cell, fixing a flat and something will walk out of the woods and eat you. "carry a weapon' and be aware of your surroundings. (goes for AK too) I have some awesome footage of a large Wolf running down the road next to my truck.
I arrived back home 1 month and 2 days from when I left. It was also my Birthday : )

I covered about every type of driving condition possible on this EPic! I am ready to do it again next year.

trip tally;

milage- 7,725 miles
gas- $2,600

Hey FunJunkie, what's the latest poop?

:ninja: <<<<< :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Great story. I hope we can see that wolf footage!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Great story and good info! Several of us are plannign a trip to Alaska next summer and your Milage>Fuel cost tally really helps with the Financial Planning.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Glad you had fun up here. If you went by Tok, you were only a couple hundred miles from my house. If you would have waited a month or two, you would have had a lot more fun. I'm glad you were able to see the Northern lights though, seems they are getting more rare, unless it's deep in winter.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Great write up. We need pictures tho...

We're doing a six week expedition to NW Canada and Alaska this summer. Most will be camping and exploring.

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you had fun up here. If you went by Tok, you were only a couple hundred miles from my house. If you would have waited a month or two, you would have had a lot more fun. I'm glad you were able to see the Northern lights though, seems they are getting more rare, unless it's deep in winter.
My bro's I was staying with on "Mile 2" outside of Valdez said the Northern Lights were "Off The HooK!" a week before I got there. As far as, "A lot more fun".. I was there for the "World Free Ride Championships" in conditions that produced "To much Pow". The avalanche conditions were at "Considerable". and I was there with the best in the world..... Fishing wise, I might head up this summer. I have an inside connection with several fishing guides and bro's with automatic weapons. I will fly up for that so I can get off a plane and buy ammo in Anchorage. .45 caliber Tommy Guns rule until the Barrette .50 cal is broken out :rocker:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Way cool.... did ya wear yer Fuzzies?

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Cool story sounds fun but....

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Way cool.... did ya wear yer Fuzzies?
I am always wearing my Fuzzy ???s. :lol: The Fuzz was as ideal as a level set of railroad tracks. The gnarliest conditions were a warm 20 degrees with 80mph winds. My booth withstood the furry because of the wall modifications and the ice anchors I had on all 4 points.
Sorry dude's, I can't show any pictures because they will see lots of people wearing my logo while dancing around Banners of the Corp I am a CEO of. Gotta follow the rules.

:ninja: <<<<< :lol:

abophx- What's up young man? I heard you got a new Anaconda :rocker:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts