Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post in this section, lot's of good info. in here. Is there a tent that will extend off the back of the FJ ? Kind of like with the tailgate open, it go's around the opening & is part of the truck? Does anyone know of something like this? I think I've seen this somewhere for pick up trucks, but not sure where. Any info. would be great. Thanks....MAXXFJ

·
Registered
142 Posts
My only question is WHY?

Why tie your truck to something so you cannot drive away if you want to go and enjoy something or need to go to town?

Besides the open rear door of the FJ will be in the tent and become a headknocker.

Set up the tent next to the FJ but consider not tethering them together. Maybe I miss the reasoning. Lots of times we stay in the FJ or in the tent but not wed them together. One of the beauties of car camping is to be able to base camp and still be mobile with your vehicle.

For all the same reasons, I don't think I want one of those tents that mounts on top of the vehicle. Every time you want to go somewhere, your tent is binding you down.

So MAXXFJ, while I am not trying criticize your thinking here, I am suggesting your reconsider the practicality of tents that stake your FJ to the ground.

Good luck! Please tell me if I have misunderstood your objective.

Mike

·
Registered
596 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any of these will work on the FJ. You either need a rear door that opens upward or that has a separate tailgate and window.

The way the FJ's rear door opens to the side won't work with these.

I've slept in mine a few times - the rear fits a full size air mattress perfectly and I used mosquito netting over the windows. I'm 6'6" and I slept great. Plus, it's easy to set-up/tear down and you can still use the vehicle.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
BigBlu said:
The way the FJ's rear door opens to the side won't work with these.....
I think if you are attempting to use on of these tents.. you would NOT put it directly behind the FJ -- you would "slant" it a bit so you could put the door OUTSIDE the tent, not inside.

Also besides the rear "flap" tied to the FJ, I dont think it would be too much hassle to release the truck, and drive into town or whatever. Now those late night trail runs might be another story -- your significant other might have some choice words for a gaping hole on one side of the tent.

The other idea that comes to mind.. is putting the kids in tent, and the adults in the truck -- let them get eaten by snipes!

Of course there is no winner or loser.. the original poster has ~something~ in mind and maybe it will be the next ^uber^ elite thing everyone on this board copies. :rocker:

·
Registered
308 Posts
My only question is WHY?

Why tie your truck to something so you cannot drive away if you want to go and enjoy something or need to go to town?

Besides the open rear door of the FJ will be in the tent and become a headknocker.

Set up the tent next to the FJ but consider not tethering them together. Maybe I miss the reasoning. Lots of times we stay in the FJ or in the tent but not wed them together. One of the beauties of car camping is to be able to base camp and still be mobile with your vehicle.

For all the same reasons, I don't think I want one of those tents that mounts on top of the vehicle. Every time you want to go somewhere, your tent is binding you down.

So MAXXFJ, while I am not trying criticize your thinking here, I am suggesting your reconsider the practicality of tents that stake your FJ to the ground.

Good luck! Please tell me if I have misunderstood your objective.

Mike
I am totally with Mike on this one. Pitch a nice tent, go wheelin', come back to camp, light a nice fire, revisit your adventure with friends..:bandit:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mikemayberry,- point taken. Why tie up the FJ to the tent? Can't enjoy the FJ on the trails, didn't think when posting. Kids, never drink & post, the brain you save may be your own. Case closed......

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you're set on an off-ground system - check out the tent-cot systems that are available:

YouTube - Cabela's Deluxe Tent Cot
I have no idea why I just watched that entire video...but that cat was hilarious! He's like, "OK, WTF is Dill Weed up to now? Doesn't he know I'm going to claw that thing to sheds when he goes to work?" :rofl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've slept in mine a few times - the rear fits a full size air mattress perfectly and I used mosquito netting over the windows. I'm 6'6" and I slept great. Plus, it's easy to set-up/tear down and you can still use the vehicle.[/QUOTE]

I have measured the back with the seats down since I'm often carrying bicycles and I only get 50 inches from the back of the front seats to the door. How does someone 6'6" fit in there? And what windows get the mosguito netting? We are talking about an FJ?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've slept in mine a few times - the rear fits a full size air mattress perfectly and I used mosquito netting over the windows. I'm 6'6" and I slept great. Plus, it's easy to set-up/tear down and you can still use the vehicle.
I have measured the back with the seats down since I'm often carrying bicycles and I only get 50 inches from the back of the front seats to the door. How does someone 6'6" fit in there? And what windows get the mosguito netting? We are talking about an FJ?[/QUOTE]

I push the seats all the way forward and have made a platform that makes the back flat for sleeping. I fill up the air mattress while in the car and it pretty much form fits to the back. I sleep on an angle and I fit perfectly. I use netting on all the windows and sleep with my head towards the rear door so I can get good airflow and close the window if it gets too cold. Next time I set it up, I'll take pictures. or you can check out the box :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts