Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some much overdue maintenance that needs to be done. I have 62K and I have it set to go to the dealer on Saturday but I am hesitant to drop that much cash if some of these things are easy to do because I need to learn them anyway. But what should I do and let someone else do?
- Oil change
- Tire rotation
- Replacement of front brake pads
These are the main ones. I also have smaller expenses with replacing all the wiper blades and such too but of course I know I can handle those myself.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Home. Changing your brake pads is so easy, it is one of the biggest automotive mechanic rip offs, in my opinion. Haven't done my oil change myself, but I hear it isn't too bad. And tire rotation is just well, rotating your tires around the vehicle. Assuming you have some jack stands, do it yourself. So yeah, do it yourself. Save a buck. Or spend a little cash to buy some tools and do it at home, learning more about your rig at the same time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have some much overdue maintenance that needs to be done. Blame it on the unemployment for 5 months, not just being a bad owner. I chose to move back home rather than sell my FJ. :rofl: I have 62K and I have it set to go to the dealer on Saturday but I am hesitant to drop that much cash if some of these things are easy to do because I need to learn them anyway. But what should I do and let someone else do?
- Oil change
- Tire rotation
- Replacement of front brake pads
These are the main ones. I also have smaller expenses with replacing all the wiper blades and such too but of course I know I can handle those myself.
Do it yourself!

I just did an oil change on my 08 FJ, $30 Mobile 1 Oil including a toyota oil filter (15 mins) also greases my driveshafts, rotated my tires using two jack stands for the rear and one jack (40mins) don't overtighten the lug nuts, and I have not done my front brakes yet but do a search I know is kinda simple.

George

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and adjusting the e-brake so I can quit rolling :flame: What other maintenance would you do at 60k? I have not had any other issues yet. May as well get it all out of the way at once if possible.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't done spark plugs yet. I just spoke to a friend that is giving me free rein of his garage and mechanical skills all day Saturday. I'm going to take advantage and do as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
These are all straight forward operations: A quick thread or web search will reveal images on how to do these things very clearly. Toyota itself has images if you log onto the owner net (need to create an account) they do have step by step DOY instructions on some things.
Your items:
1. Disc brakes are difficult; Do one side at a time, so you you get the clips & backers oriented correctly on the pads correctly.
2. Rotate tires, follow correct torque sequence, torque level & rotation pattern for your tire; With the FJ you can follow 2 torque sequence patterns, there should be images out there.
3. Oil-change; if you have a 2010 or newer you will have a canister style with replaceable cartridge. Toyota prodices instructions for this on the box and either in the maintenance manual or on-line. I could see this being tricky even for techs who have not done one. You may want to consider some help for this or have it done. If you have a 2009 or earlier, no problem its a spin on filter assembly. Be mindful not to losse the sealing washer on the drain plug.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Save the cash and do it yourself.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Agree with the others. The oil is so easy on the 07 its not even funny. Oil filter right up front, ah I love it. Main reason I didn't trade up to be honest. The front brakes are simple as well. I have never done brakes before but had no issues with them, except the whole squeaking thing but that's a toyota issue that I have to deal with them on. Adjusting the E-brake should be simple enough and I am sure a search would give you the answer to that one. I am debating on what I want to do on the 60k service coming up as I don't need the dealer messing it up and yet overcharging me.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Agree, brakes and oil are cake. You don't even have to remove the calipers. The e brake adjustment is also easy. It's actually done in the center console by the brake handle. Just pull the console out (literally) there are no screws, and the adjustment is right there. Hope that helps! :cheers:

P.S. I love the quote in your sig. Great movie!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I have noticed the oil change has to be easy since I have an 07. Pop the hood and its just sitting there like "hey look at me" With all the maint and a good detail I'm going to feel like I have a new vehicle again after Saturday.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Agree that you can save a lot doing it yourself. The oil is simple, esp on the '07s.

Rotating the tires, make sure you mark them and know how you want to rotate them (front-back, including the spare, etc). I would also advise torquing them back on to 100 to 110 ft lbs as they are just barely touching the ground. If you go tighter or put the lugs on at different ft lbs you run the risk of warping your rotors and causing problems.

Brake pads are pretty easy but I would recommend getting the rotors turned to go along with the new pads. It makes sure the rotors are true and gives the new pads a prime surface to seat in with. You don't have to have the rotors turned but I would highly recommend it and most auto parts places can turn them pretty cheaply.

You may want to pick up some break cleaner as well; brake dust can be pretty nasty and you don't want to inhale any of it either.

Good luck!

·
Registered
458 Posts
you would need
1 camera (to take pictures)
2 computer (in case you got stuck to read what to do on this forum as well post pictures as progress)
3 beer (so you can enjoy what you do)
4 necessary tools (wrenches,pliers,drip pan, oil filter key or wrench, car jack)
5 brake pads,oil,oil filter ....
6 take your time and its gonna be fun ....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Save the cash and do it yourself. You will learn alot and know that it was done right. Just double check yourself. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Yuryz...Have the camera, hopefully there will be internet connection for the computer...if not iphone is a good back up. Don't drink so money spent which would be spent on beer just goes to the FJ. I have to add a step stool though because standing on the tires only works when I'm washing it.

A few more general questions.....

I will be buying OEM brake pads after reading other threads. Right now I am looking at $76 from the dealer. Outragous or right on target? I won't be able to order them online since I am doing this Saturday.

Spark plugs...should I or should I not go ahead and do them? I have seen a few mentions in the post but still torn. If I do, any one brand better than another?

I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas right now...come on Saturday!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Spark plugs...should I or should I not go ahead and do them? I have seen a few mentions in the post but still torn. If I do, any one brand better than another?
You can spend any amount of money you want on miracle flux capacitor spark plugs, but nothing in my experience works any better than the stock Denso plugs for like $1.65 a piece.

Don't forget to grease the u-joints and slip yoke on the front and rear drive shafts while you're under the truck draining the oil.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I haven't done spark plugs yet. I just spoke to a friend that is giving me free rein of his garage and mechanical skills all day Saturday. I'm going to take advantage and do as much as possible.
Make sure he tells you what he is doing while he is working so you can understand, even better would be for you to spin wrenches while he is guiding you what to do. Might be a little slower but it is the best way to learn.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Make sure he tells you what he is doing while he is working so you can understand, even better would be for you to spin wrenches while he is guiding you what to do. Might be a little slower but it is the best way to learn.

I will definitely be the one doing the work. As much as possible anyway. Luckily he has patience.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My rule of thumb: Know your limitations.. ( I don't crack open gear boxes )
From there spend the money you would have given to a mechanic on tools and learn to do your own maintenence work. It can be quite rewarding.
This forum is full of pictorials on how to do most things on your FJ. Use search..

The brakes are simple but be prepared to take the rotors off and down to a shop or parts house and have them turned. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. Your new brakes will not stop properly and will not last as long without a flat rotor face to mate with. It is not expensive and is an important thing to do.
The other stuff is trivial.
Also don't go crazy and CRANK down on oil pan plugs and such. It just has to be tight, you don't want to strip the threads.
Have fun and get dirty..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts