Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need a little help here kids...

My AT 2007 FJ has a strange bump in the trans... If I come to a stop and after i sit for a few I take my foot off the breaks I feel a slight thunk in the trans as the truck starts to move w/o the gas on. What is it? I've searched the net and this forum without a solid answer.

Fyi... My a/c / defrost unit is never on... I'm in socal... No need.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Re: Taking foot off break feeling a small thunk...

Ok so I need a little help here kids...

My AT 2007 FJ has a strange bump in the trans... If I come to a stop and after i sit for a few I take my foot off the breaks I feel a slight thunk in the trans as the truck starts to move w/o the gas on. What is it? I've searched the net and this forum without a solid answer.

Fyi... My a/c / defrost unit is never on... I'm in socal... No need.
Check the drive shaft bolts, could be loose.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Check the play in your u-joints while you're checking out your bolts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts

Things to check (you may have to remove the drive shaft to properly diagnose)?
Dirve shaft slipp joint splines.
Excessive rotational free play within the rear differential (E-brake on in nuetral)
U-joints.

Something inside the transmissions will be more problematic and difficult to determine

·
Registered
33 Posts

My 07 does the same thing. Going to be booking some service w/ the dealer to replace driver's side dome light switch and will get them to check this out at the same time. Might as well take advantage of that extended warranty I bought. Will keep you guys informed.

·
Registered
109 Posts

It's normal. It happens to a lot of FJ's. It's the drive shafts. Make sure that you greese your drive shaft's u-joints and slip yoke's at every oil change. There are zirks to greese in total. On my FJ the thud goes away after I greese the drive shaft, but comes back after about 3K after the greese gets worn out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

How many zirks?
Thnx

It's normal. It happens to a lot of FJ's. It's the drive shafts. Make sure that you greese your drive shaft's u-joints and slip yoke's at every oil change. There are zirks to greese in total. On my FJ the thud goes away after I greese the drive shaft, but comes back after about 3K after the greese gets worn out.

·
Registered
387 Posts

whats a zirk?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts

grease fitting

·
Registered
109 Posts

There are six zerks in total. When you do it make sure that you don't pump too much grease into the slip yoke. only one or two pumps of the grease gun. You don't want to hydro lock it. There is a posting somewhere on this forum how to properly grease the zerks. I'll try to find it for you.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Below are some links to threads about greasing your drive shaft. Make sure that you read about the procedure and make sure that you DO NOT over grease the slip yolks. 2 to 3 pumps of the grease gun max.

Post #10 has the pictures with the locations of the zerks: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/maintenance-tech/61544-zerks.html

This thread has some info on doing the greasing: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/17936-greasing-u-joints-shafts.html

·
Registered
95 Posts

My 07 does the same thing. Going to be booking some service w/ the dealer to replace driver's side dome light switch and will get them to check this out at the same time. Might as well take advantage of that extended warranty I bought. Will keep you guys informed.
Well, what happened?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have a 2010 A/T and it does the same thing...small studder (very slight but annoying) from a dead stop after immediately after letting my foot off the brake. Doesn't feel like its a trans problem though.

I also thought the pads might be sticking because it does not always happen at every stop light. Good call on the zerk fittings...been about 8,000 since I filled mine so hopefully that works.

Yes, 2-3 pumps...learned that the hard way after about 12 pumps into the rear fitting and not seeing any grease come out. Pushing grease out is NOT a good indicator that they are full.

John

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also have/had this issue on my '07. I recently had the brake pads changed and the drivetrain greased haven't noticed it since!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was getting worried, i just purchased my 07 fj with 66k in it and i starting feeling the thump every so often. Ima replace my brake pads and greese up my g ride.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts