Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, so I really want to find a way to install this tap handle in place of my stock shift knob. One problem is the Gold colored piece that in theory would connect the handle to the shift lever is too large. Pulling the gold piece off, now I’m starring at another set of threads on the tap handle which is obviously problematic. Any thoughts on how to process?

I’d like to also be able to cover much of the shift lever, or maybe shorten it?? I don’t want to just attach The handle to the top inch or two of the lever. Any thoughts?

The only thing I can think of is trying to remove the threaded piece from the tap handle and then drilling into the handle enough to cover most of the lever. Seems like could be risky drilling into the tap handle...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Make or find a coupling nut that has both size threads. Thats the easiest noninvasive way to do it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is a cool tap handle! Ideally, the gold piece stays off, the threaded stud is removed and you are able to drill accurately up into the tap as you suggest. That tap handle diameter and the shift shaft don't look that much different - there will be a lot of stress on it and you need strength(more diameter). Some have cut the shift shaft and re threaded but I don't like that idea as it is irreversible. Just a thought , cut the tap shaft back short, play with resin and pour a round mold with the tap inserted into the resin and the tap shaft tapped to the correct shift shaft diameter. It would be big, but it would also be sturdy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a cool tap handle! Ideally, the gold piece stays off, the threaded stud is removed and you are able to drill accurately up into the tap as you suggest. That tap handle diameter and the shift shaft don't look that much different - there will be a lot of stress on it and you need strength(more diameter). Some have cut the shift shaft and re threaded but I don't like that idea as it is irreversible. Just a thought , cut the tap shaft back short, play with resin and pour a round mold with the tap inserted into the resin and the tap shaft tapped to the correct shift shaft diameter. It would be big, but it would also be sturdy.
Good point about needing it to be stronger. Never have used any resin, I’ll have to google it or check it out on YouTube, thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Impossible! That Vikings device is blocking all progress! Go Pack Go! :)
As a Vikings fan I have superior skills in dealing with hardship and disappointment, and must continue to persevere on. 🤣
Hopefully that perseverance will help me pull off the tap handle swap... lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make or find a coupling nut that has both size threads. Thats the easiest noninvasive way to do it.
That would be easiest but also leave me with a really long shift lever. Seems like the tall length wouldn’t be as sturdy either.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks - I spent about an hour with a dremel replacing that ukulele

·
Registered
272 Posts
I’d drill into the tap handle all the way up to the head (if there’s enough length on the shifter) and epoxy in a threaded insert. That should be sturdy enough. You’ll have to make a jig to ensure you drill straight into the handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d drill into the tap handle all the way up to the head (if there’s enough length on the shifter) and epoxy in a threaded insert. That should be sturdy enough. You’ll have to make a jig to ensure you drill straight into the handle.

Thanks for the suggestion, great idea about a jig, but not sure how to do that. The tap handle is slightly shorter than the shifter but it would cover most of it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You could jig up the part a million different ways. Just want to ensure the part is stable (can’t move once you start drilling) and bit is centered (straight hole).

If you have a drill press, something like this would work:

Using a hand drill would be much more difficult. Not saying it can’t be done, but I wouldn’t try it unless you were willing to risk losing the part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could jig up the part a million different ways. Just want to ensure the part is stable (can’t move once you start drilling) and bit is centered (straight hole).

If you have a drill press, something like this would work:

Using a hand drill would be much more difficult. Not saying it can’t be done, but I wouldn’t try it unless you were willing to risk losing the part.

Thanks for the response, drill press definitely sounds like the way to go! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
They been putting tap handles on shifters since the 1930's so there are a few different ways of doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts