Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might not be for everybody, but it's bothered the heck out of me that the FJ has a dumb blinker, unlike most newer vehicles that have smart blinkers. All of the other vehicles I've driven in the past 8 years have the auto blinkers for changing lanes (you know, you just tap the blinker and it automatically flashes a few times?).

Well, I found these replacement flasher relays on the FR-S forum and bought a pair (one for the FR-S and one for the FJ). Simply put, this is the best sub-$100 I've done to the FJ. The relay installs in minutes, and is ready to go right out of the package. I really wanted this just for lane changes, but there are other features some of you might want, especially if you have LED bulbs in your turn signals.

AutoWindow Tap Turn flasher

To install, simply remove the driver's side air vent (method depends on what year your truck is):

The flasher relay is behind the red circle. With no key in the ignition, turn your flashers on. You'll be able to reach up behind the panel and feel the relay clicking. Once you've located it, you now know what to remove and you can turn your flashers off. To remove it, you'll pull two tabs out on the sides. Last, you'll press the small button on the wiring harness plug and pull the plug out. Honestly, I couldn't figure out how to remove the stock relay easily, so I just left it where it was, plugged the new one in and used a zip tie to hold it to other wiring. Put the air vent back in place.

Here's what the plug on the relay looks like:

Done! You can change the number of flashes per lane change, and you can also change how your 4-way flashers work. If you get the StrobePack option (I just got the basic option) you can use your flashers as strobe lights as well. I can see that being useful on the trail sometimes.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
that is actually pretty cool. I might get one.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Nice little mod. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
What year is your truck because my 2011 and 12 have the "half" position where you can hold the lever to keep the blinker on (without locking it) for a few secs before changing lanes.

***EDIT*** Oh I get it this will continue to blink the light a predetermined number of times just by hitting the "half" position once....making it so that you don't have to hold it there. nifty

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year is your truck because my 2011 and 12 have the "half" position where you can hold the lever to keep the blinker on (without locking it) for a few secs before changing lanes.

***EDIT*** Oh I get it this will continue to blink the light a predetermined number of times just by hitting the "half" position once....making it so that you don't have to hold it there. nifty
Yup, you got it! It's amazing how quickly you get used to a feature like this on other vehicles. Of course, I'm one of the last remaining blinker users in NC, but that's besides the point...
They aren't the cheapest of things, especially for a fancy relay, but I'll no longer be cursing when I get out of my work Ram and into the FJ when using the blinker on the highway. Heck, I've spent a LOT of money on the FJ for off road stuff, why not a little for some on-road practicality?

·
Premium Member
16,489 Posts
Nice mod. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
You're supposed to use your blinker when you change lanes? I had no idea. I thought it was just used when making turns. I should re-read my driver's manual, something must've changed.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
i hate letting people know what im going to do. but on the hwy i do signal.

I like the feature on my BMW.

Definitely a feature I will add.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Pretty awesome. Our Range Rover and Audi's have this feature stock and I always have to retrain myself when using the other vehicles. Not anymore! Bought one with the strobe features. Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You're supposed to use your blinker when you change lanes? I had no idea. I thought it was just used when making turns. I should re-read my driver's manual, something must've changed.
uhh yes. if you want to make a move you should let people know especially when traffic is heavy and fast. cutting people off is not nice.

i hate letting people know what im going to do. but on the hwy i do signal.

I like the feature on my BMW.

Definitely a feature I will add.
not letting people know is even worse. I freaking hate when I want to keep up the traffic then suddenly some idiot cut me off without signalling.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
It is cool, but not worth $80 from a strange web-site

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After reading their site a few times, it finally sunk in that they only list compatibility 2007-2012 ... hmm.
I checked and all FJs through 2014 use the same relay, so you should be fine.

It is cool, but not worth $80 from a strange web-site
It's a well known site on other forums with many buyers, so I wasn't concerned. Scott had excellent communication through the whole process, even with all of my questions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had to check to see if you were from Massachusetts; I think they're optional equipment there!

Pretty awesome. Our Range Rover and Audi's have this feature stock and I always have to retrain myself when using the other vehicles. Not anymore! Bought one with the strobe features. Thanks for posting!
Even my Chevy has it now; I get messed up the first few times when I drive the Jeep after driving the Chevy for a while.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts