Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had my tap turn for over a year now.....love it. Any thoughts to making a different model for LED so you don't have to install resistors? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I don't know how the older ones work, but I have had mine for a few months and it works just fine with LEDs.

I will also add that I love this relay. Great mod. I got the one with the strobe feature which I hardly ever use, but it's cool to have. But overall this is a great mod IMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmmm. Confused. Diode Dynamics is a supporting vendor so I can show their link. diodedynamics.com

HYPERBLINKING

The turn signals on most vehicles will begin to blink fast (hyperblink) when LED bulbs are installed. This is because the new LEDs will use less power than the original bulbs, so your vehicle thinks that the bulb is out and warns you by hyperblinking.

This phenomenon will be the same for every LED bulb on the market- there is no such thing as a "no hyperblink" LED bulb, even though some companies advertise them as such.

Flasher Replacement: Replacing the flasher relay, the module that controls blinking speed, is the easiest option to correct hyperblinking. You can remove the flasher on your vehicle, which is a small relay module under the dash, and replace it with a new flasher designed for LEDs. You will only need one flasher for your vehicle, whether you are replacing just one pair or both sets of turn signal bulbs (front/rear).

Resistor Kit: If you prefer not to change the flasher, you can add resistors to the bulb's circuit, and mimic the power consumption of the original bulb, returning the vehicle to normal turn signal speed. Resistors are a universal fix for any vehicle. Diode Dynamics resistors are 50W, 6 ohm, and come with extra-long connection wires for easy install. If you have both front and rear LED turn signals, you should purchase one set for each pair, to create enough resistance for the whole turn signal circuit. The installation itself takes only 10-15 minutes, and involves making two simple connections. Everything you need is included in the kit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had my tap turn for over a year now.....love it. Any thoughts to making a different model for LED so you don't have to install resistors? Thanks

Every TapTurn flasher ever made has built-in LED compatibility... just replace stock signal bulbs, any, or all, with LED bulbs that fit the sockets and you're good to go. NO hyperblink. NO load resistors needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
After reading through this entire post, I'm really wanting to do this mod. However, I'm wanting the strobe mode, but I know I'll never use it haha. Anyone regret getting the standard over the additional strobe option?

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
why not use strobe. if you have to use 4 way flashers, then the strobe gives you the best chance to alert drivers... set the strobe for 4 way flasher and leave your turn signal normal.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I'd like to see a short video of Strobe Mode in action .... anyone?

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
In the nick of time.... I stumbled over this thread today!
I have been having issues with IPCW rear LED lights that hyperblink for a couple of months now and was about to buy an OEM relay that I planned to modify... (Remove material from the resistor loop in the relay) just so I could finally install the rear units.

One question on this TapTurn relay, do you still get confirmation beep and flash on locking? I assume the flash is replaced by the lights staying illuminated for the programmed time, but does the car still beep for lock confirmation?

Look forward to some feedback so I can order this weekend.
Cheers!

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is great. I got pulled over for not signaling in my MT and for other reasons (mostly a shake down because of the modifications got attention). Just a warning was given sense I checked out but this little device might save me next time. I'm in.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
yes, still get beeps when locking.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice addition... could be next.
I ordered it and already had an email from Scott to say it's dispatched... Prompt service!

I will post pics once I have it all fitted and working 😃

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well.. it's fitted and working... show us a shot of your FJ?

The first (and only) TapTurn equipped FJ in UAE.. probably!
Hey Scott, absolutely working a treat 😉 I am loving it, you know it all might be in my mind, but lane changing seems easier, instead of accelerating to close the gap the idiots here seem more inclined to back off and leave the space as if they are unsure of this new strobing turn signal! Top product!!!
I was also able to fit the IPCW rear lights and the hyper flash problem is no more as you said!

I am in Abu Dhabi for a couple of days but when I get home at the weekend I will attempt a video post. :grin

141 - 160 of 168 Posts